PDA

View Full Version : Any performance engine parts for these boats

hz900
08-06-2006, 12:59 PM
'92 Prostar 205 w/ dual feed holley

Are there any simple bolt on performance parts for these engines? For example - intake, rockers, exhaust. In particular the exhaust because this winter I'll have to change out the muffler/silencer on it because it has developed a leak. I can do all these tasks myself, just need to know what gains I'll recieve from what modifications.

JimN
08-06-2006, 01:08 PM
Your muffler is fiberglass- patch it. It also provides very little back pressure and the only thing lower would be a straight pipe. That said, if the leak(s)is/are bad enough, I guess a straight pipe is easy enough to install. There are tons of bolt-on upgrades and how far you want to go depends on the health of the motor and the amount of money you want to put into it. easttxskier replaced his intake manifold and carb, which gave him a nice boost. Jegs, Edelbrock and other performance sites/companies sell just about anything you could want for your motor and they can usually give you an idea about the gains in power/torque.

Think of a motor as an air pump- if the intake can move more air than the exhaust, it won't develop power as well as it should. Having a machine or speed shop work the heads over will make a big difference. You should be able to find a kit for your motor and it's not necessarily going to break the bank.

hz900
08-06-2006, 01:28 PM
Think of a motor as an air pump- if the intake can move more air than the exhaust, it won't develop power as well as it should. Having a machine or speed shop work the heads over will make a big difference. You should be able to find a kit for your motor and it's not necessarily going to break the bank.

Thanks for the feedback. I fool with car engines (which this pretty much is) so I already know the basics about making power. Just also don't want to intstall something like a highrise intake and then it not fit under the engine cover ect.

Also when ordering parts am I correct in order parts for a Ford 351 Windsor?

east tx skier
08-07-2006, 10:28 AM
CNC Prop and an edelbrock performer intake (for low-mid range torque). You'll need a low profile flame arrestor, too. Harder to find than they used to be. The intake bolts on nicely and will run you less than $200.