PDA

View Full Version : 93 PS190 NAV switch

dchatagnon
08-06-2006, 08:27 AM
I'm having some issues with my NAV switch. Any lights on the dashboard is working and the bow navigation light does not work too.
I have changed the NAV lights but did not change anything.

The switch's LED is green when it's on. Only the position light is working at the back of the boat.
I had a look on the wires of the switch but I did not understand anything... Does anyone has an idea how it should be wired?

The switch looks like this: (looking from the back)
A B
C D
E F

If someone could send me some pictures with the switch wired, this will help me a lot. There is some orange wires, grey ones, black and blue..

Thanks in advance for your help.

Damien

cwright
08-09-2006, 02:29 PM
Do you mean to say that no lights are working on dash? The nav lights should be the easiest device to have work, but I'm not surprised of the problems you're having. My MC has been plagued with similar issues. I succeeded by taking some of the following steps:

Cut wires to nav lights and jumper them directly to battery - do they work? If yes, then lights are not getting 12 volts.

Test wire coming out of switch, is the positive giving you 12 Volts? If yes, then you have a ground issue. If no, you have a switch, or a loose wire issue.

Go to switch. Where does it get it's positive lead from? Is it a solid connection. Does the lead to the switch have 12 volts on the positive side? Is the ground tight. The darn grounds are all daisy chained so one can be loose and mess things downstream up.

Even if the plugs are on the blades, they may be loose. If they are give them a little squeeze with some pliers so they are snug on the blades.

Got to go for now, but this should get you down the path. Good luck and let us know what you find.

dchatagnon
08-10-2006, 05:08 AM
Thanks cwright.
Yes no lights are working in the dash and nav lights also are down.
Problem is that I'm not sure of the wires connections directly on the switch. I'm far away from the boat now. But as soon as I will get back, I will take a closer look on it. Thanks for all you support.

cwright
08-10-2006, 10:48 AM
On my 88 the dash lights come on when nav lights are on, so I would say the two are simply linked; solve one, you'll solve the other. I would start at my nav light switch, check for tight connections, and put tester on positive output post to confirm 12v is coming through.

dchatagnon
08-20-2006, 02:11 PM
I have checked everything with a tester and I have 12V. The problem is when I connect all the wires. It creates a short. and I have to re-initialize the circuit breaker. I'm not sure of the wiring on the switch. Can you please let me know if there is a wiring order on the switch? And which wires goes to the correct terminal of the switch?
Thanks in advance.

aerojt
08-20-2006, 03:34 PM
Mine is doing a similar thing. The switch doesn't light up, and the lights don't work. Does the '93 have a fuse box somewhere? What would happen if I pull off the switch panel, anything behind that? Thanks!

-JT

milkmania
08-20-2006, 04:20 PM
what I found inside my switch when I took it apart that the little soldered contacts on the inside rocker plate were completely corroded away.

and yes, it ws my nav switch also:rolleyes:

for a quick fix on the lake, I removed my accessory switch and wired it into place where the nav switch was, it was quick & easy, but now my nav switch isn't on a breaker:rolleyes:

I still need to find a replacement switch.

keep in mind when you open your switch, the little bullet tips are spring loaded..... to reassemble, I used some heavy grease to hold things in place

milkmania
08-20-2006, 04:49 PM
front side:

milkmania
08-20-2006, 04:50 PM
back side:

dchatagnon
08-20-2006, 05:12 PM
Thanks Milkmania for those great pictures. I have already opened my switch and everything is clean on it. The little soldered contacts look OK. I think just 3 contacts is needed. Because one of the 2 soldered got only one hole on it... Is this normal? On the picture of the backside of the switch, can you remember which wires is connected to those 6 poles?
Many Thanks for your big assistance!

milkmania
08-20-2006, 05:35 PM
Thanks Milkmania for those great pictures. I have already opened my switch and everything is clean on it. The little soldered contacts look OK. I think just 3 contacts is needed. Because one of the 2 soldered got only one hole on it... Is this normal? On the picture of the backside of the switch, can you remember which wires is connected to those 6 poles?
Many Thanks for your big assistance!

I took a pic before disassembly, but I'm not situated where I can get it. (hard drive in another location):(

billr
08-20-2006, 06:11 PM
The center post should be the hot wire. Switches usually work backwards from the way they look. Down position would be upper terminal for anchor light. Up position would be lower terminal for navigation lights. Of course yours could be completely backwards from this.

dchatagnon
08-21-2006, 01:02 PM
ok guys. I have found what was the problem and now both NAV and dashboard lights are working!!! The problem was a loose wire on one of the two speedos light. This wire was moving and was touching the negative wire or metal part....
Thanks everyone for your help.

cwright
08-21-2006, 02:00 PM
Congrats. I appreciate you letting the forum know the final solution. We may all be in the same spot someday and will know one more thing to check. Good skiing!