PDA

View Full Version : ballast/fat sac experiences for ps190?

dwe
11-09-2004, 11:06 PM
Last weekend was about the last of the ski season for me, and I've started thinking about maybe adding ballast for next season. I haven't thought much about it before, since we slalom as much as wakeboard, and my one experience of my friends past '83 S&S 190 was that the sacs took a long time to fill/drain, took up a lot of space, and slalom was done once they were full.
From those of you that use or have used them (especially the dual users), do they make that big of a difference and are they worth the hassle? What type do you use, where do you put them, and what's the best way to fill them? Any other comments are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
David

crdickey
11-10-2004, 12:56 AM
I have a 2003 PS-197 and installed the MasterCraft X-7 ballast system. The pumps in the back under the ski locker floor near the gas tank and the hoses exit near the floor in the back. I lay out the sack and use the 3 quick disconnect hoses which come with it. It fills or drains in about five minutes and lays flat on the floor when not in use. the fill and drain switch is dash mounted, very clean set up. Fact is my PS 197 has all the options available for it as well as all those for the X-7 :headbang: I does make a difference in the wake, not quite Pro quality but close as you can get with one big sack in the back.

I slalom ski as does one of my two partners, the third is a wake boarder. I start filling just as the slalom skier enters the boat and by the time the boarder is in the water and ready the sack is filled. the reverse the process when he's done and the next slalom skiers turn.

If it was the after market sacks and hand held pumps, I'd never use it, but the factory system works great and is easily installed. I installed mine just by looking at an X-7. The MC set up has all the parts and the wiring harnesses for a fairly easy install.

I took a bunch of pictures of a factory install if you'd like then, send me your email.

SD190EVO
11-10-2004, 01:01 PM
Sent you a private message. Would love to see the pictures you mention. Thanks!

mitch
11-10-2004, 05:34 PM
Fat sacs on the floor are a PITA. Been there! Not sure what your boat has for floor storage or rear locker. I have a custom system with (2) sacs 1100lbs all hidden, 5 pumps, (2) 3-position switches. If that's an options, that would be cool, but of course more expensive. There are many custom sizes available. If you must you can get by with the sacs and they're pretty cheap. It beats nothing for wake size/shape

dwe
11-11-2004, 08:57 PM
Anyone had any experience with the new pro x series bags/pumps from fatsac.com? Their rear bag looks a lot like the mc bag for the x7. The website wasn't too informative though. My boat has a similar rear rear setup as the 197 (thanks for the pics, Chuck), w/ the bench seat that turns into a sundeck. So, theoretically I could buy the mc rear ballast system, or use the pro x bag and an external pump.

mitch
11-12-2004, 08:51 AM
It's best to counter the weight in the rear with weight toward the front

AirJunky
11-12-2004, 12:26 PM
500 lbs of lead & steel scattered all thru the 205 plus a 300 lbs sac in the locker...... which reminds me, guess I better drain that thing before it freezes!
Anyway, sacs are a pain to fill. So this works, allows the boat to handle nice & definitely kicks up a nice wake.

Mag_Red
11-12-2004, 12:43 PM
:confused: Wouldn't it be easier to put three 180 lb people in the rear of the boat? I guess Fat sacks are for people without friends. :steering:

H20skeefreek
11-12-2004, 04:05 PM
:confused: Wouldn't it be easier to put three 180 lb people in the rear of the boat? I guess Fat sacks are for people without friends. :steering:

I thought fat sacks were friends. I sent out an email to my fraternity brothers it said "I wanted to go wakeboarding this weekend, but i need some fat sacks, do you guys want to come along?"

I never got a response, i wonder why?