PDA

View Full Version : Boat Trouble

Gill
08-06-2006, 12:11 AM
Hi everyone, I have a 2000 X-Star which i have been having problems with recently. When i turn the boat on the alarm and check engine light come on, although as soon as the boat reaches a speed around 30-40 mph the light and alarm go off. Then as soon as i slow down the alarm and light come back on. I have changed the engine oil and transmission oil along with transmission oil filter. I also replaced the engine impeller. Does anyone know what might be causing the problem. Also when looking at the guages the oil pressure fluctuates quite a bit at idle and the RPMs are also fluctuating from about 700-1000 while idling. I can not get the boat in for maintenance for three weeks and was hoping someone on here might have experienced a similar problem and could give me some pointers. Thanks.

Gill
08-06-2006, 05:09 PM
Help please:(

rodltg2
08-06-2006, 07:47 PM
could be a computer problem, may have to go to the dealer

erkoehler
08-06-2006, 08:22 PM
Do you have the right amount of oil in the engine?

Gill
08-06-2006, 08:38 PM
yes i believe we put the right amount of oil into the engine. the dipstick shows it has enough oil. So as far as i know there is enough oil in the engine. Thanks for responses.

erkoehler
08-06-2006, 08:55 PM
Do you remember how much you used when you changed the oil? What temperature is the engine running? Is there any loss of overall power?

What is the oil pressure at idle?

Gill
08-06-2006, 09:07 PM
The engine is running around 160F and the oil pressure is jumping around at idle but is at 40 most of the time. As far as power goes it doesnt seem like it has lost any power. i believe we can get the same top speed, but if i remember correctly the light and alarm came on when we reached higher speeds around 45mph. Im not sure how much oil we put in, we might have just topped it off to get it into safe territory on the dipstick.:confused:

erkoehler
08-06-2006, 09:10 PM
Which engine are you running?

I'm slightly concerned that you may be low on oil, which means your not leaving any oil in the pan/bottom end while running at higher speeds if my thought process is correct.

We just had a similar situation with a boat at the dealership, and he was LOW on oil....

Gill
08-06-2006, 09:17 PM
i have the LTR 5.7L 330 HP engine. I will check the oil.
Thanks for response

erkoehler
08-06-2006, 09:19 PM
I believe you should be using 5 qts. of oil in that engine and be sure to fill the oil filter with oil before installing it.

Gill
08-06-2006, 10:40 PM
Ok thanks for the reply, im not sure if we will be putting the boat back in the water before we take it to the dealer. We pulled the boat tonite as we could not get it to work properly. So the boat is no longer on the water at my cabin but in my driveway. I will post to let you know what the problem really was. Thanks for all the help.

Jwhitsett1129
08-07-2006, 02:19 PM
This sounds frightening to me because I have a buddy whoo seized up a car motor when the dipstick read full. There was plenty of oil in the oil pan, but the oil line was clogged, so there wasn't any getting to the engine...

east tx skier
08-07-2006, 02:23 PM
When you checked the oil level, was the boat in the water. That is the correct angle for those purposes.

Gill
08-07-2006, 06:11 PM
yeah the boat was in the water when I checked the oil. Im just gonna leave it up to the dealer now though as my boat is no longer at the lake. Thanks for the help everyone.

cwright
08-07-2006, 08:04 PM
Is there a correlation with the alarm and your oil pressure. OP should not bounce. If there is a correlation, it could be your either low (can't trust the dipstick) or your sender is bad. My OP bounces and the alarm will start to chirp if the pressure bounce falls below the min.

When I put five quarts in my 88 - 351, my oil level is 1.5" above full, boat level on trailer. Good luck.

rick s.
08-09-2006, 04:55 PM
it sounds to me like a low oil pressure alarm. I would definately have it checked.

Gill
08-11-2006, 06:37 PM
Well i went down to the dealer today and they found the problem. So no more problems for me hopefully. The dealler said it was a faulty sensor. Something to do with exhaust i think. Anyways i just hope what they did worked and I plan on taking her to the lake tomorrow. :D :dance: