PDA

View Full Version : Dick Pope Jr. or old jumper

tex
08-04-2006, 10:52 PM
OK, all this talk about comparing slalom skis gets me excited...What makes the best step-off ski? I like an old beat up jumper with only a front toe piece. It's handles great at 42 mph and can handle a whip in a show! I would create a poll but I bet there would be only about 6 guys who respond.

billr
08-05-2006, 09:26 AM
We didn't have a step off ski. We used a disk. ( Telling my age here )

erkoehler
08-05-2006, 09:29 AM
I like to go with the ski that everyone else has given up on.....one that I can throw into the rocks and not worry about if I mess up the step off...one that nobody will miss if I choose to bang it on the dock and snap it in half after missing a step off during a show....one that is atleast 10 years old.

Jim@BAWS
08-05-2006, 09:31 AM
Cypress Gardens "AQUA KING" Bigger than an Aculpulco (sp)

Like stepping of a Jumper

Jim@BAWS

ski_king
08-05-2006, 10:00 AM
I always used a old wooden combo with toe only, never had access to a jumper, I bet they are better.

Don't use a good ski, as they have a way of being lost, stolen or ran over.

tex
08-05-2006, 10:29 AM
I like to go with the ski that everyone else has given up on.....one that I can throw into the rocks and not worry about if I mess up the step off...one that nobody will miss if I choose to bang it on the dock and snap it in half after missing a step off during a show....one that is atleast 10 years old.
I couldn't have said it better Erk! I knew that I had been retired a long time when Matt Tegland(younger brother of Smok'n Joe Tegland my favorite driver) called and told me that he was in Germany skiing and had just taken one of my old jumpers and made a step off out of it! I was sad but in a good way!

tex
08-05-2006, 10:29 AM
Did I just agree with Erk?

barefoot
08-06-2006, 11:36 AM
Erk has a good point! I don’t have a designated ski step off ski….I just use whatever’s in the boat, rafters, attic, or canoe paddle if it’s near by. It really doesn’t matter because you’ll be kicking it off anyways. And better to have an old sh*tty one that you don’t care about then a nice one. While skiing on the team, we stepped off old wooden ski…so I guess that’s my preference.

If I had a jumper, I’d use that. Maybe it’s that I’m not picky…

barefoot
08-07-2006, 02:52 PM
Hey Tex...If you happen to have the match to that old jumper, I'd buy it off you! I'd like to convert it for a back step off ski.

chudson
08-07-2006, 06:32 PM
'

[...What makes the best step-off ski?]

I've use what ebay likes to call a "Vintage Kimball" with just a rear toe piece. It's an old beater but I've had it for so long now I'd hate to lose it. But anything that's stable and smooth and doesn't wooble around!

tex
08-08-2006, 12:28 AM
Hey Tex...If you happen to have the match to that old jumper, I'd buy it off you! I'd like to convert it for a back step off ski.
The match is now a one ski jumper. I hope to switch my other from a front to back step one day.

tex
11-15-2007, 12:33 AM
Just give me anything without a high wrap! I'm ready to go...ok, maybe wine talking!

André
11-17-2007, 09:14 AM
Funny that you revive that old thread Tex...
He past away last week.
I guess he can be proud of all the peoples who have learn to ski on with planks with his name on it!:)
http://www.theledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Avis=LL&Dato=20071109&Kategori=PHOTOS&Lopenr=1109001&Ref=PH

Thank you Sir!!!

Edit:Look at that nice barefoot picture.
And that's not digital!

tex
11-17-2007, 11:13 AM
Thanks for sharing!

Hollywood
11-19-2007, 04:26 PM
Long, wood, and no heel. Nice flat bottom and big fin are nice too.

tex
11-19-2007, 04:39 PM
Long, wood, and no heel. Nice flat bottom and big fin are nice too.
I have an old wooden jumper. Has just the front toe piece and a broken fin. It is soo smooooth!!!!!!