PDA

View Full Version : barefoot suits

sassydog
08-04-2006, 05:37 PM
Now that i know that i'm completely addicted to footin, and it's not just a summer fluke, it's time to invest in a barefoot suit(hopefully i can get in delivered before Mag Mania!!!). but i'm only going on word of mouth on what suits are better than others. I know Seipel's IRON has the most padding, but Erk just went through two zippers, and i'm not a big fan of a collar. I've also heard that Eagle's are too thin and will kill your behind when riding on the water too long. Scarpa's Helix V2 looks like a wise choice, but i could really use some advice form all you other footers out there!

bepresto
08-04-2006, 05:47 PM
first year for me using the vortex helix, but love the suit. rides nice on the water and very comfortable to wear and ski in. suit has great padding and does not hold a lot of water when doing deep water starts. I recomend a good pair of barefoot shorts with any barefoot suit that you buy.

Rockman
08-04-2006, 06:12 PM
Now that i know that i'm completely addicted to footin, and it's not just a summer fluke, it's time to invest in a barefoot suit(hopefully i can get in delivered before Mag Mania!!!). but i'm only going on word of mouth on what suits are better than others. I know Seipel's IRON has the most padding, but Erk just went through two zippers, and i'm not a big fan of a collar. I've also heard that Eagle's are too thin and will kill your behind when riding on the water too long. Scarpa's Helix V2 looks like a wise choice, but i could really use some advice form all you other footers out there!

Garbage bags and duct tape you pu$$! :D

CoFooter
08-04-2006, 06:24 PM
two pairs of cut-offs and your tighty whiteys...........

Seriously, I have a BFI Iron and never had a problem with zippers or anything else. Going on two years old. Lots of padding but initially stiff like cardboard. Takes several times out to break it in. You can spin/tumble on your back all day with this suit.

Used to have an Eagle which I didn't like that much. I've tried the Vortex and its nice, too. Very limited restriction on body movement, but less flotation.

sassydog
08-04-2006, 07:16 PM
Garbage bags and duct tape you pu$$! :D
don't temp me!. that might have to be a great photo opp next time we go out. Hey maybe i can do it, take a pic and send it to scarpa!. Tell him i'm straight out the trailer park. Maybe it'll touch his heart and he can send me a free vortex!.

tex
08-04-2006, 07:56 PM
Buy either a vortex, eagle, intensity. Call the guys at barefootcentral. They will take care of you.

atlfootr
08-05-2006, 10:02 AM
Buy either a vortex, eagle, intensity.
Call the guys at barefootcentral. They will take care of you.Buy new NOT used!

tex
08-05-2006, 10:12 AM
I've bought at least 3 new suits from barefootcentral. Always been treated good.

sassydog
08-05-2006, 11:57 AM
oh i have no intention on buying a used suit. hey i just foudn out that the Vortex V2 has extra nut padding, for those falls when the water washes your family jewels. do all other suits have that?

barefoot
08-06-2006, 09:42 AM
I have a BFI Iron suit…I traded up from a Ski Warm suit about two years ago. Lots of reinforced padding and super comfortable. There’s something to be said about a barefoot suit made by a barefooter for barefooters.

Whatever suit you buy, my only suggestion is to buy SMALL. The size charts are accurate…you may look at it and think it won’t fit, but it will…and it’ll take a while to break it in. The last thing you want it to be doing deep water starts and come up with 5 gallons of water in your suit.

jimmer2880
08-07-2006, 06:51 AM
I can't say enough about Dolphin wetsuits. USA made & they stand behind their stuff. Great, thick padding, the whole 9 yards.

atlfootr
08-07-2006, 07:44 AM
I've bought at least 3 new suits from barefootcentral. Always been treated good.I skip "middle men" (jacked up price) and buy direct FROM THE FACTORY!

OTW
08-07-2006, 11:31 AM
I'll plug Vortex suits, most comfortable suit with excellent padding I've worn.

3event
08-07-2006, 11:39 AM
This one works well for me, part time footer - bought it 4yrs ago or so. I also purchased from Barefoot Central, new suit on closeout, price good enough. Plenty of folks recommend using bf shorts underneath, i still have an old pair of neoprene slalom shorts I throw on underneath sometimes but they have no real padding, only another layer.

sassydog
08-07-2006, 04:29 PM
I skip "middle men" (jacked up price) and buy direct FROM THE FACTORY!
how/where can i do that?

Davo
08-08-2006, 08:21 AM
I can't say enough about Dolphin wetsuits. USA made & they stand behind their stuff. Great, thick padding, the whole 9 yards.
Huh - never heard of 'em until now.
Dolphin Wetsuits webpage (http://www.dolphinwetsuits.com/wetsuits.asp)

I would rather buy American also....Vortex suits look nice, but they're made in China from what I can see. I think Eagle and BFI are made in USA - someone correct me if I'm wrong.

barefoot
08-08-2006, 08:42 AM
BFI...Milwaukee, WI!

atlfootr
08-08-2006, 08:44 AM
how/where can i do that? BE SURE TO TELL 'EM - ATLANTA BAREFOOT CLUB
SENT YOU!

Eagle Sports
P.O. Box 1807
Humble, Texas 77347

Phone: Customer Service

Fax: 281.441.4335

Hours of Operation:
Our normal office hours are 9 am until 5 pm, Central Standard Time, Monday through Friday. While our offices are closed, at other hours, and on national holidays, you can still place orders by e-mail or fax 24 hours a day. We will respond accordingly on the next business day.

jimmer2880
08-08-2006, 09:58 AM
Huh - never heard of 'em until now.
Dolphin Wetsuits webpage (http://www.dolphinwetsuits.com/wetsuits.asp)

I would rather buy American also....Vortex suits look nice, but they're made in China from what I can see. I think Eagle and BFI are made in USA - someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I've had Dolphin suits for the past 20 years. They really hold up good & stand behind their products. Also - they are custom made. It takes a little longer to get them, but I usually don't mind, as I do most of my shopping in September/October :)

jbfootin
08-08-2006, 10:46 AM
I use BFI. No problems with them at all. I have had an eagle suit and it fell apart after a year and a half. If you can go to a barefoot tourney such as footstock, they always have dealers with good deals. You can talk to John or Mike Sieple and usually can get the best price.

krseitz
08-08-2006, 04:32 PM
I use a BFI Iron. It's great gear! With a pair of padded shorties underneath you are darn near bulletproof and the deepwater starts are a lot easier on the boys (if you know what I mean)...

barefoot
08-08-2006, 04:37 PM
John or Mike Sieple and usually can get the best price.

Fantastic guys and really fun to work with.

I have to say the votes out for BFI!

sassydog
08-08-2006, 04:57 PM
thanks for all the advice guys, i'll probably order my suit this week. i've narrowed it down to the BFI and the Vortex Helix V2, one designed by Seipel an the other by Scarpa. i know both have good reputations, but so far i'm leaning towards vortex. BFI is super durable, but stiff. I'm using a BFI that 10 years old and it still feel like a surfboard tied to my back, and i hate the collar. Vortex has a little less flotation but more flex and freedom, plus there's padding for "the boys" which comes in real handy for deep backs! either way i appreciate all your tips, and i'll be sure to post pics of my kick-@$$ suit, to make you all jealouse

krbaugh
08-12-2006, 05:08 PM
A few year back they came out with a revolutionary new device that will work in any wetsuit and ALWAYS protects the boys

http://www.sportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1453103&cp=710554&parentPage=family

:-)

CoFooter
08-14-2006, 12:16 PM
Vortex is a great suit, nothing against it. But one more plug for BFI padding especially in the learning stages. You're going to be spending a lot of time in the water learning tricks, starts, and yes, falling. When you attempt that tumble turn for the 10th time in a row, or that back deep for the 20th time in a row, you're really going to appreciate the extra padding and flotation that you are cetainly not going to get from the Helix. And yes, the cardboard feel will go away after half a season. Not affiliated at all with either, just my two cents coming from the school of hard knocks

JohnnyB
08-14-2006, 01:30 PM
My advice...don't buy a suit with sleeves, I hate the sleeves!!!

My Intensity suit is finally near its end after 8 years of service....I'll be looking at Vortex, BI and Eagle. From what I've seen shopping casually, Vortex has a lot of suit for the $$$$......

Let me know what you decide and why...

atlfootr
08-14-2006, 01:51 PM
thanks for all the advice guys, i'll probably order my suit this week. i've narrowed it down to the BFI and the Vortex Helix V2, one designed by Seipel an the other by Scarpa. i know both have good reputations, but so far i'm leaning towards vortex. DON'T BUY VORTEX ... jus because Scarpa edores / wears 'em :noface:
READ THE LABEL ... made in CHINA :mad:

Don't get me wrong, Ron's a great guy that I personally know and ahellofa barefooter.
One of my favorites in fact, last week I went to the BF Nationals and a couple jumpers told me that owed a vortex -
they blew 'em out within a week.

Rockman
08-14-2006, 02:32 PM
[QUOTE=atlfootr]DON'T BUY VORTEX ... jus because Scarpa edores / wears 'em :noface:
READ THE LABEL ... made in CHINA :mad: [QUOTE]

Now that makes sense!?:rolleyes:

Sassy, buy a BFI suit that is made here in the USA and hope the leg straps last longer than a year (like on ours). Then wait 6 months for them to get fixed when you call BFI back. GREAT customer service!!! And don't forget about the zippers that are running on a 6 month delay and yet they'll hit ya for $45 to replace, excluding shipping.

I am all for US products but face the facts, some are just not made well. I would get the suit you like the best and to you is made the best. Who cares where it is made?!

OTW
08-14-2006, 03:10 PM
DON'T BUY VORTEX ... jus because Scarpa edores / wears 'em :noface:
READ THE LABEL ... made in CHINA :mad:

atlfootr, check where most of your clothes are made. what kind of vehicles do you drive?

I'll say it again, Vortex is a hell of a suit, I have no issues at all, plus the built in "scrot" protector.

btw, happy to be here.

barefoot
08-14-2006, 03:39 PM
anyone want to go footin? Just trying to lighten up the air

atlfootr
08-14-2006, 07:57 PM
atlfootr, check where most of your clothes are made. what kind of vehicles do you drive?
I'll say it again, Vortex is a hell of a suit, I have no issues at all, plus the built in "scrot" protector.In case you haven't read the thread, it's about "BAREFOOT SUITS"! :mad:
You can say it ALL you want, I'm just tell'n ya what these barefoot jumpers told me. VORTEX SUKS !
BTW, my clothes are made in the USA ... but were not talking re: clothes OTW.

OTW stand for Off The Wagon, I thought so.

jimmer2880
08-14-2006, 08:30 PM
My advice...don't buy a suit with sleeves, I hate the sleeves!!!

While I wish I had a completely sleeveless suit for mid of summer, I love the 2 long-sleeve suites I own. I've never had a problem with the sleeves moving any direction. Fact is, I also use my long-sleeve, short leg barefoot as my cold-weather suit. Works great.

Maybe some day, when I have extra $$$'s, or get serious enough about footin, I'll also get a sleeveless.

Ohh yea - and my Made in USA Dolphins (oldest one is 20+ years old) is bullet-proof. I only had to replace it because it "shrank" after 17 years.

CoFooter
08-15-2006, 12:39 PM
I have the same problem every year, Jimmer. At the beginning of the season I always discover that Coors Light has again shrunken my wetsuit.

sassydog
08-15-2006, 04:25 PM
thanks for all the advice guys!!!!, but consider this thread obsolete!

My Vortex Helix V2 came in the other day, and although i haven't been able to try it out yet, it looks pretty solid(dispite what you anti-vortex footers say). after watching the test vid on Barefootcentral, i noticed that all of the concerning issues with last years model, were much improved upon for the new model. It fits a million times better than Rockman's old BfI that i used, and so far looks like ample padding for all the learning i still have to do. PLus, there's extra padding in the groin!!!!! And although i've never seen an asian footer, i trust them to make just about everything, considering i have a ton of Chinese/japanese made things that outlast the American made. Oh and just a preview for how long it'll take to have something replaced, it only took 3 days to ship the suit straight from the shop in China, looks like a good sign to me.

Hopefully i can test it out soon and let everyone know who was right and who was wrong, at least for braggin' rights. Everyone whos' going to Mag's can see for yourself.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
08-15-2006, 05:04 PM
:confused: well then, lots of opinions on this thread! So sounds like there is good and bad for all 3: eagle, Vortex, and BFI. interesting..... why doesnt someone do a poll about this??:confused:

barefoot
08-15-2006, 05:47 PM
If we did a poll, we'd get about 6 peoples' responses...and they've all responded here.

I'm still partial to BFI. I'm in a good position because if something busted out on my suit, I'd take it back to the factory, conviently located about a mile away, and throw it in their face and demand a new wetsuit with a free handle and line. If they didn't meet my demands, I would challenge Mike Siepel to a barefoot competition.

I’m just kidding of course. It's the end of the day and I'm gettting stir crazy. I just can 't wait for the weekend. I know I'll be doing 3 days of footin'!

Overall, I don't beat up on my suit as much as some guys. I get out on the water to have fun. If I crash, I know that I'm padded and won't be hurt. That's good enough for me.

Hope you enjoy your new suit!

barefoot
08-15-2006, 05:48 PM
Keepin' the thread alive!

Make sure to keep your toes pointed down and bend at the waist!

Footin
08-15-2006, 06:05 PM
I have two Barefoot International suits and love them both. One is a cap sleeve and one is sleeveless.

I have had an O'Niel suit and I do not think it was built half as good as the BFI.

atlfootr
08-15-2006, 09:55 PM
thanks for all the advice guys!!!!, but consider this thread obsolete!Let us know, when your suit blows out!

CoFooter
08-16-2006, 09:04 AM
Keepin' the thread alive!

Make sure to keep your toes pointed down and bend at the waist!

And if you fall, whatever you do, don't let go of the rope.........

CoFooter
08-16-2006, 09:10 AM
Threadjack.......

Any of you guys in the upper midwest going to / heard of Footstock figure 8 tourney up in Crandon Wisconsin? It been on my list of things to do for the past few years but never worked out timing and work wise. Sounds like a blast. One of those things you do just to say you did it - and maybe get lucky and ski good against a pro. There is a very amusing thread on showskiers.com about Footstock pros and show skiers trash talking about the upcoming event.

barefoot
08-16-2006, 10:20 AM
And if you fall, whatever you do, don't let go of the rope.........

That's right...I forgot to mention that.

Rockman
08-16-2006, 10:46 AM
Let us know, when your suit blows out!

I don't think SassyDog will be doing any jumping in that suit so he should be fine and it should last for years.

Anyways, they make special barefoot suits that are alot thicker that are supposed to be used strictly for jumping and can withstand the wear and tear. The Vortex is not a suit designed for jumping.

And we'll make sure that when anyone on the board here makes a purchase related to anything under the "barefoot" category, we'll consult you first!:rolleyes:

barefoot
08-16-2006, 10:51 AM
I'm thinking about going to footstock...that weekend is purposely not booked. I hear it's a blast! I think I might just go up for the company. It's also a great time to meet all those professional footer...maybe book a camp, get a discount...it's worth a shot.

Oh well...make sure you step off with your knees straight! Hold on to that line....and whatever you do, don't let go.

CoFooter
08-16-2006, 11:03 AM
I got the step off down last year. What worries me is the multiple sets of boat rollers

atlfootr
08-16-2006, 12:13 PM
I don't think SassyDog will be doing any jumping in that suit, he should be fine and it should last for years. That's just it, you don't think at least not long term.
What if, say after a year he's burned out on tricks, endurance and figure 8's (if he even goes in any of these directions) and wants to step up a notch to the next level. Now, he's got a crappy suit that cost him between 250-300 bucks that won't last a season.

Anyways, they make "special" barefoot suits that are alot thicker that are supposed to be used strictly for jumping and can withstand the wear and tear.And it says that on the suit? Yeah, right. :rolleyes:
BTW, you do that - make sure when anyone on the board makes a purchase related to anything under the "barefoot" category,
you consult atlfootr first and I'll be sure to send U the bill. :D
Who knows, I can probably SAVE 'em a **** load of money.

HAVE A NICE DAY :)

sassydog
08-16-2006, 05:22 PM
someone's cranky. Dude, it's my suit, my money, and my arse that's taking the hit, which makes it my decision to make. I started this thread to get the OPINION OF EVERYONE on the board. If i wanted your advice only, i would have PM'd you. I've worn a BFI, so i know where to start and what needs to be improved on. Vortex seemed like a great step up from what i expected form a suit. Eagle also looked like a good choice, but their specs were a bit weak, and the the only other opinions i got about Eagle were from guys who are sponsored and paid by eagle/BFC.com. The man makes the suit, not the other way around! There's a long list of products that i swear by and swear against, but that doesn't always make them poorly designed, that's just what works for me. If my suit blows out in a week, then so be it, but i won't pass up a possibly great suit just because only two of your friends blew theirs out jumping, which i have no intention of doing in this suit. EVER. I would have appreciated an honest opinion, but you had to chime in with immature hostility and badger anyone who didn't agree with you. Grow up. If you have a personal issue with BFI, Eagle, or Vortex, that perfectly understandable, but there's no need to lash out at someone elses opinion. If you have such hatred for Vortex, then start your own thread, i'll even help you out. You can call it "POLL: when will sassydogs suit blow out?" Next time you have such a hostile opinion towards someone, either cool it down or stay off the board, Thanks

tex
08-16-2006, 11:03 PM
Eagle, Intesisty, Vortex, you can't go wrong if you spend $$$$ I own several each of the first two and am good friends w/paul stokes who used to work for Vortex. I would buy any of the suits for any kind of BF'ing. Find the one that fits you the best!

atlfootr
08-17-2006, 05:37 PM
Dude, it's my suit, my money, and my arse that's taking the hit, which makes it my decision to make. I started this thread to get the OPINION OF EVERYONE on the board.Right you are sassdog, it is your suit / your money and your arrse on the line.
EXCUSE ME for attempting to look out for a fellow barefooter and help protect your investment.

sassydog
08-17-2006, 05:53 PM
ATL, it's not that i don't appreciate your advise and opinion, it's that i feel like you were very rude in the way you went about expressing it. I started the thread exactly for that reason, so other footers can look out for me, but no one is right ALL the time. But hey, why don't we just forget about any arguments and lets it just be. I don't want to create any tension on this board and i'm sure your goals are the same. let bygones be bygones and barefooters be barefooters, despite what suit they are wearing.

atlfootr
08-17-2006, 10:17 PM
ATL, it's not that i don't appreciate your advise and opinion, no one is right ALL the time.
But hey, why don't we just forget about any arguments and just let it be. sounds good to me :toast:

Gurglin Water
08-17-2006, 10:40 PM
how do i post new link? dumb question I know have unrelated question...

atlfootr
08-19-2006, 08:37 AM
how do i post new link? dumb question I know have unrelated question...http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_vb_read_and_post

erkoehler
08-19-2006, 11:31 AM
Sassydog blew the zipper right out of that suit this morning....:(

atlfootr
08-19-2006, 12:37 PM
Sassydog blew the zipper right out of that suit this morning....Say what :confused:

bigmac
08-19-2006, 03:33 PM
Sassydog blew the zipper right out of that suit this morning....:(

I looked for the smiley that might indicate you're kidding Erk....:confused:

Are you serious?

erkoehler
08-19-2006, 03:40 PM
Yeah, I'm kidding :)

sassydog
08-19-2006, 04:55 PM
i'm getting married and buried in my suit. Hopefully it'll dry out soon so i can wear it on my date tonight!

bigmac
08-19-2006, 07:39 PM
Yeah, I'm kidding :)

http://mccollister.info/gifs/whew.gif

atlfootr
08-20-2006, 09:40 AM
Yeah, I'm kidding :)I was gonna say, kinda soon for a suit to blow ...

CoFooter
08-21-2006, 12:48 PM
I was gonna say - you need to ease off those adult beverages and all you can eat buffets..........

MasterCrafting
08-21-2006, 01:45 PM
AtLfooter and they guy who runs barefootcentral.com are in some kind of a feud. My friend and I both ordered from BFC.com, got the lowest price and got the suit really fast. I needed mine within a week and they got it to me, and my friend needed his within 5 days...I have an Eagle KSO its pretty much amazing...

barefoot
08-23-2006, 04:36 PM
altfooter....your the first person I thought of when I saw this! It's not a joke, but IMHO, you shouldn't watch this.

For all the rest, it's a pretty cool preview to a new barefoot video. So why post it on this thread, open it and you shall see!

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=1058603654&

sassydog
08-23-2006, 04:52 PM
Damn!!! am i glad a bought a Vortex! hahaha, pretty sweet vid too!