PDA

View Full Version : Boat Damage?? Need Help!!

suspencefull
08-04-2006, 11:59 AM
Our anchor hit the boat and was wondering the best ideas for repair. It isn't that bad. I was thinking of getting a fiberglass kit and then matching gel coat. I was wondering where I could get this or what you guys recommend.

east tx skier
08-04-2006, 12:05 PM
Welcome. Do you have pictures. The extent of the repair will vary based on whether it's gel coat damage or gel coat and glass damage. If the glass is solid underneath, it won't be as extensive. A good gel coat repair will extend beyond the damaged area.

I have always left this to the pros, but know lots of people who have had success fixing minor damage with the kits available at places like www.overtons.com.

suspencefull
08-04-2006, 12:08 PM
Posted photos. Meant to post them originally but forgot and had to go back and edit. Thanks. I will look into it. Let me know what you think.

east tx skier
08-04-2006, 12:19 PM
Photos can be deceiving, but that doesn't look too bad. Probably something you could do yourself. I'm about as far from an expert on the subject as you'll find though. I've just had to deal with gel coat issues on my father-in-law's boat in the past.

suspencefull
08-04-2006, 02:25 PM
You recommend just buying a kit from overtons or are is that not a good repair kit ans somebody recommends a different one. Is there anywhere I can go to make sure I have a matching gel coat? I have a 2003 Prostar black and white.

kjohnson
08-04-2006, 02:39 PM
Spectrum.com can match your gelcoat. They can match any MC color.

suspencefull
08-05-2006, 12:17 AM
Tried to go to spectrum. The site didn't work. Would you recommend just getting an Overton's kit and trying to match it myself?

suspencefull
08-05-2006, 12:21 AM
I know I can just by the fiberglass at wal-mart. That would be fine right?

MarkP
08-05-2006, 12:24 AM
Tried to go to spectrum. The site didn't work. Would you recommend just getting an Overton's kit and trying to match it myself?
No!
If possible I would buy gel from spectrum. (they made the gel for your boat) You can call them too.. Ill see if I can dig up the ###

MarkP
08-05-2006, 12:29 AM
Try
800 754 5516

bigmac
08-05-2006, 09:00 AM
If there isn't fiberglass damage then we're talking gelcoat, which is a whole different ballgame. First you have to get the right color and make sure it matches, then you have to grind away some of the gel coat from the edges of the booboo, then fill in the gouge with the gelcoat after you clean it off meticulously. Then it's sand, refill, sand, refill, sand, sand sand, polish. No doubt you can get the area covered, but it's a skill, and if you want it to look good (smooth, no divots, color matched) then you would want it done by a pro. You can buy the gel coat and catalyst from Spectrum, but if there's been any oxidation or fading at all, even the factory color may not match well enough to be invisible. Same reason good auto body shops have computer-controlled paint matching systems even though they buy or mix the factory color. For them, that factory spec is just a starting point.

I get chips in the gel coat on the lower edge of my swim platform (hydrofoil strut). I couldn't find a gel coat kit locally, so I got some pigment from the paint store, color matched it, and mixed it into some polyester resin. Looked like crap. So I bought that gel coat kit from Overtons and it did a nice job on those little chips and scratches. I wouldn't even consider doing that for a big gouge in a visible portion of my boat. I'd have a body guy do that. YMMV.

suspencefull
08-05-2006, 11:34 AM
It's realy not in that visible position. You can notice it from the side but it doesn't look that bad. Most of it is damage under the boat. I think I will go for the Overton's kit. On monday, I will call spectrum but can't promise anything. What if there is fiberglass damage? What should be done if it isn't just gel coat? What is best way to tell?

bigmac
08-05-2006, 01:39 PM
I know I can just by the fiberglass at wal-mart. That would be fine right?

How about just using some duct tape?

:rolleyes:

excetara2
08-05-2006, 09:31 PM
I assume Spectrum's is recommended over say a generic gel coat repair kit like from overton's due to color matching. It is in a non-visible place so not that worried about color match but would like it close. Also, I am wondering how much Spectrum's color match costs. Thanks a lot.

the legend
08-05-2006, 10:26 PM
You Will Spend Anywhere From $15.00-25.00 On A Spectrum Touch Up Repair Kit-color Matched To Your Boat-it Will Repair A 5 X Quater Sized Area.

the legend
08-05-2006, 10:29 PM
Glass Damage Goes Like This- Grind Until The Crack Is No Longer Visable, Fill W/ Glass, Sand Smooth, Spray W/ Gel Coat, Sand Smooth, Buff & Wax. The Difficult Part Is The Color Matching,depending On The Finish Of Your Boat-meaning, How Faded Is The Gel Coat.

excetara2
08-05-2006, 10:54 PM
It is a 03' Black and White Prostar. White part is on the bottom of the boat, so I care less a about. A tiny part of the scrape is on the outside black part. Would this require two gel kits or just one? Thanks.