PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Filter 95' 350 tbi

DLewis
11-08-2004, 12:34 PM
In the process of winterinzing the drivetrain I was going to change the fuel filter. However, on the inline (canister type) fuel filter, it notes that the fuel system is under pressure. How do I go about releasing this pressure before I change out the filter?

JimN
11-08-2004, 01:45 PM
Look at the fuel line(s) near the throttle body. You should see what looks like a short tire valve with a cap on it. That's the Shrader valve and is for checking the fuel pressure. Grab a paper towel and surround the valve, then poke something in it so it's like letting the air out of a tire. If and when it stops squirting gas, you're done and can remove the filter. If it has been sitting for a while, it may not have much pressure, anyway. I usually cut the bottom off of a gallon jug to catch liquid spills and put this under wherever the liquid will fall and you can place the filter in it and remove everything at one time. Your filter is a AC GF-626, right?

DLewis
11-08-2004, 02:12 PM
Thanks for the info.

The only details I have on the filter is from the Indmar website. It lists two types of filters, both have like a six digit numeric number. Should I go with Indmar's brand or is there another that is a quality match?

east tx skier
11-08-2004, 02:38 PM
Jim, any difference in procedure for the 351?

ktn_cmu
11-08-2004, 03:19 PM
Jim, any difference in procedure for the 351?

If your boat has a carb, you shouldn't have to release pressure before removing the filter. Do you have a block mounted fuel pump? If so, prior to removing the filter, if you have any gas in the tank, you'll want to kink off the fuel line between the filter and the tank. The tank is higher than the filter and if you remove the filter w/o kinking off the line, the gas will drain right out. After kinking off the line, just remove the fliter and replace it.

east tx skier
11-08-2004, 03:46 PM
Yes, it's a carb motor. If memory serves, it's a block-mounted fuel pump. I'm going on memory, but I think the pump is at the front portion of the motor on the port side. Can anyone confirm.

G-man
11-08-2004, 03:53 PM
Doug your memory is correct. This weekend 62 water Temp, no wet suit, no wind, mid 70's air, and sun. You must have been out of town.

AirJunky
11-08-2004, 04:10 PM
Thanks for the info.

The only details I have on the filter is from the Indmar website. It lists two types of filters, both have like a six digit numeric number. Should I go with Indmar's brand or is there another that is a quality match?

I've used the Napa equivelant fuel filter for several years with no issues. No reason to pay Indmar prices. It will still be like $20 or $25.

JimN
11-08-2004, 04:11 PM
The filter that came with the boat is an AC part, usually GF-626, for your year. The MC part number is generally the same as an Indmar, but has 81 added to the beginning. I'm not aware that Indmar has their own brand of filters. If you call the dealer and ask them for the generic part #, they should give it to you. Otherwise, go to a parts store and look at their book for the gas filter for the GM 350 TBI motor. Most of the time, if the boat has more than 1 filter, they'll put one that passes larger particles at the tank, then a finer one up front to catch the small stuff.

It should be at the front of the motor, just ahead of the motor mount. You may have a fuel/water separator as well as a filter at the tank. If you still have the instructions from your new carb, check to see if they list a filter at the fuel line input.

east tx skier
11-08-2004, 04:19 PM
Yup, George, out of town. Looks like I missed my last chance at a comfortable ski for a while.

Jim, I'll have to check. Pretty sure my carb instructions are long gone. Basically, I'm thinking that my metal fuel line goes from the pump to the carb. I also have a plastic tube off the carb back down. I don't see anything that looks like a screw on fuel/water separator.

JimN
11-08-2004, 04:31 PM
Doug, Doug, Doug. How can you RTFM if you don't keep it? :noface: :D

It's not how warm you are, it's how cool you look. :dance: :banana:

The on-carb filter is inside the carb at the fitting where the fuel line attaches to the carb and you would need to remove the fuel line to get to it.

DLewis
11-08-2004, 04:36 PM
So there is nothing 'marine' about the fuel filter? If I can locate a filter at the autoparts store for a 95' 350 tbi thats good enough?

ktn_cmu
11-08-2004, 04:46 PM
DLewis, The only difference would be if you had a water separator, and you'd know it if you had one of those. It would be a big, spin-on cannister type, and from the sounds of it you have a little, in-line, stamped steel type. It should not be marine specific.

ktn_cmu
11-08-2004, 04:54 PM
Basically, I'm thinking that my metal fuel line goes from the pump to the carb. I also have a plastic tube off the carb back down. I don't see anything that looks like a screw on fuel/water separator.

The metal line is the pressure line, with the fuel pump you have you won't have enough pressure to worry about. To get to the filter that is at the carb (if you have one) you'll have to remove the fitting at the carb, like Jim was saying. If you have one you'll probably have two since your carb should be a dual-inlet type. The clear hose you see is a return line an does not have any significant pressure. Your application most likely has a little stamped-steel fuel filter inline before the fuel pump, held on with hose clamps. It about a $5 part at an automotive store and it is not marine specific. You won't usually find carbed engines with a water separator, they aren't as picky as FI engines.

G-man
11-08-2004, 04:54 PM
Should be a spin on filter near port front motor mount at stringer level plus a fine mesh screen where fuel line goes in.

DLewis
11-08-2004, 05:48 PM
After reading the thread, I just realized that there is a filter next to the gas tank (visable when the rear seat is removed - maristar). The gas line at this point is a grayish rubber. In the metal fuel line from the TBI to the fuel pump(?) is a metal canister about the same size. Might this be a water seperator or a secondary fuel filter - how do I determine which it is?

AirJunky
11-08-2004, 06:18 PM
DLewis, The only difference would be if you had a water separator, and you'd know it if you had one of those. It would be a big, spin-on cannister type, and from the sounds of it you have a little, in-line, stamped steel type. It should not be marine specific.

This is exactly the setup my '94 PS with 350 TBI has. The smaller stamped inline filter is behind the motor, almost directly over the trans. And I think the water separator is down low, in front, looks like an oil filter.
As I recall I was only able to find the fuel filter at the auto parts store, and there is not anything marine specific about it.

JimN
11-08-2004, 07:38 PM
The late '93 and a lot of the '94 boats had a water separator as well as the other filter. They got rid of the separator in late '94. The '95 has 2, one at the tank and one at the motor. You'll want to look at both to get the part numbers. If I remember, the rear will pass 10 micron particles, the front goes down to 5 micron. MC can tell you the correct AC numbers if you want/need to call them. I'm pretty sure the front one is GF-626, though.

While you're back there, look at the fuel shut-off valve to make sure it's open all the way. If the lever is inline with the fuel line, you're OK.

east tx skier
11-08-2004, 08:00 PM
Okay, my memory is slightly better since I just looked. Like George said, there's a fuel/water spin-on separator just below the deckline mounted to the bilge below the fuel pump. Jim, I'm terrible about R-ing TFM. I do read team talk quite a bit though. I didn't install the carb, and to the best of my knowledge, there was no M in the box.

So if I'm understanding all this correctly, for annual service, I'll need to replace the fuel/water separator and clean the screen on the carb, which I will find by removing the metal fuel line and cleaning the screen.

Questions. Do I need to crimp the line leading from the tank to the fuel/water separator? How do I clean the screen on the carb?

JimN
11-08-2004, 09:26 PM
Does your boat have a fuel shut-off at the tank? If it does, you can just close that so it doesn't siphon out all over the bilge. If it doesn't, a small Quick Clamp or Vice-Grip can be clamped on it, obviously not too tight. I would keep the end as high as possible, just in case the clamp comes off. Or, you can get a plastic hose crimping tool at Auto Zone or most other stores. It looks like a child's plastic pliers, really. And they come in all kinds of bright colors, too. I think that's so they's easy to see and not forget.

To clean the screen, you can use mineral spirits or clean gas in a cup and swish the filter around in it a few times. It shouldn't take much to clean it. If it's totally clean when you take it out, thank your lucky stars and you can put it back, but at least you know it's clean.

For cleaning the flame arrestor, I like NAPA carb cleaner with all of the strong solvents. If it's hot and humid, it'll evaporate so fast that frost forms on the aluminum.

east tx skier
11-09-2004, 11:07 AM
Thanks, Jim. Skidim mentioned that there ought to be an anti-siphon valve on my boat and that I shouldn't have a problem with too much fuel spilling. Would the shut-off be on top of the tank or is it on the line near the tank or does it vary?

So I'm taking it that the screen on the carb comes off.

Just got my carb cleaner the other day for my flame arrestor.

JimN
11-09-2004, 12:10 PM
The anti-siphon is behind the barb fitting on the fuel pickup tube. I think I would still put paper towels or a plastic jug bottom below it in case someone removed teh anti-siphon ball. If you are removing just the fuel lines to the carb, you really shouldn't have any problem since it would need to siphon past the fuel pump. Not the same if you remove the fuel line from the pump input, though.

east tx skier
11-09-2004, 01:58 PM
The fuel/water seperator is a spin-on filter that is in the line prior to the fuel pump.
My plan is to look for a fuel shut off, and use it if possible. If not, i'm going to put a good-sized container under it (complete with paper towels), and give it a shot. I'll keep a crimper handy if I need to kink the hose so to speak (not literally going to kink the line).

jimmer2880
11-10-2004, 06:21 AM
The late '93 and a lot of the '94 boats had a water separator as well as the other filter. They got rid of the separator in late '94. The '95 has 2, one at the tank and one at the motor. You'll want to look at both to get the part numbers. If I remember, the rear will pass 10 micron particles, the front goes down to 5 micron. MC can tell you the correct AC numbers if you want/need to call them. I'm pretty sure the front one is GF-626, though.

While you're back there, look at the fuel shut-off valve to make sure it's open all the way. If the lever is inline with the fuel line, you're OK.
my 95 ps190 only has the one between the pump & the TBI. Nothing between the tank & the pump. Might they have started to do it on the 95's & later stopped?

Inside the tank, the fuel pickup does have a very tight screen on it. Is that what you are talking about?

JimN
11-10-2004, 10:10 AM
The one on the pickup is for catching chunks. They get progressively finer as you get closer to the motor. If your gas is clean and you have never had a problem with fuel line clogs, the one at the motor should be OK to run with.

AirJunky
02-15-2005, 11:48 PM
Hey Jim,
I know the Fram cross reference for the oil & fuel filters..... less than $20 at the auto parts store & like $60 at the dealer.
PH5
G3727

Any idea what the equivelant is for the water separator for a '94 with TBI?

Thanks

JimN
02-16-2005, 12:10 AM
Is that the part# on the original filter? $60 is WAAAAYYYY too much. That's an eye gouge if I ever saw one.

Personally, I wouldn't use Fram filters. There was an oil filter comparison on the old site and Fram was about the worst brand. NAPA Gold, WIX and AC were rated as some of the best. Pennzoil and a few others were good with FRAM and Purolate(I think)r at the bottom. One thing to look for is a good anti-siphon seal. This minimizes dry startups. Google oil filter tests for the results. If you have room for it, the AC PF1218 is a good filter, large canister and good anti-siphon.

AirJunky
02-16-2005, 03:32 AM
Damn, I see that.
http://www.scuderiaciriani.com/rx7/oil_filter_study/

Makes ya wonder what the Fram company response is to that.

jimmer2880
02-16-2005, 06:54 AM
Sorry - I dont' know for sure what it is. I will try to remind myself to get the number off of my fuel filter. I don't think it's a water seperator though - just a fuel filter.

Footin
02-16-2005, 07:42 AM
Airjunky,

The Fram number for the water seperator is PS3808 (wix number is 33225)

east tx skier
02-16-2005, 10:48 AM
Anybody ever had a problem getting the spin-on fuel/water seperator to spin-off. Mine is on there pretty tight and won't budge.

MarkP
02-16-2005, 10:53 AM
The last/first time I changed my filter it was on very tight. I had to use a oil filter tool to remove it. I donít think I replaced it as tight, but will see. I think the rubber seal dries out a little and makes it tight??

JimN
02-16-2005, 11:18 AM
Airjunky- the fuel filter # sounds right, I don't remember all of them. Ask at the parts store if there's much difference between the G3727 and the GF 626. GM trucks come with that one.

OK, I was wrong about the Purolater oil filters.

Doug- it may be easier to remove the filter by removing the whole assembly. No fun, but it may be easier.

Footin- I don't think airjunky has a fuel/water separator.

east tx skier
02-16-2005, 11:19 AM
I've got one of those cr@p/strap wrenches, but it's such garbage (wife bought it ---she loves the "as seen on tv" stuff until it arrives). I'll probably break down and get an oil filter wrench.

lakes Rick
02-16-2005, 06:30 PM
My fuel injected 94 Maristar 225 has both the water filter and the fuel filter..

Both were easily obtainable at the local NAPA store. Just take in the old ones and have them cross referenced. ( I keep the old boxes to remember the part #s the next time).

The Water filter was a real pain to get off the first time. Inaccesible and very tight.. I ended up purchasing one of the strap removers ( canvas material, NOT the rubber ones) to get it off. It wrapped around the filter and as it tightens around the filter, it also tightens around its attached metal hex assembly, it finally came off. The metal ones just slipped around it..

I find it unnecessary to change it every year, but do it every 3..

Fuel filter I change every other year....

Controversy on the Water and fuel filter dual system ( 93 and 94 fuel injected boats) causing problems with air in the fuel system. I bypassed my water filter last year and found no difference in its operation. I will reinstall the fuel lines with a new water filter this year... Hope this helps....

dwe
02-16-2005, 10:47 PM
I'm pretty sure my '95 ps 190 tbi doesn't have a water separator either. Anybody with the same boat that has one? Where exactly is it? I looked through the vertical access panel on the stern, and didn't see one.

JimN
02-16-2005, 11:26 PM
Your boat probably doesn't have one. They eliminated it during the '94 model year. Fuel injected motors have less of a problem than carb'd when water goes through the lines since there isn't a carb with a fuel bowl. The bowl fills up, you get bupkiss. Obviously, if nothing but water goes into the cylinders on an injected motor, well, you know.

AirJunky
02-17-2005, 03:55 PM
I ended up going with NAPA. $31 for all three. All made by Wix. And less than 1/2 the dealer price.
Fuel filter - 3481
Oil filter - 1060
Water Separator - 3225

Interesting comment the guy made about having this water separator in a pressurized system. He was surprised that it would hold the pressure.

JimN
02-17-2005, 04:00 PM
Ginchy! The dealer isn't there to make friends, he's there to make money. Or, he doesn't shop around for the best prices.