PDA

View Full Version : How Do I Dry Out My Engine?

skilew
08-03-2006, 11:38 PM
Not a good day at skilew's house. I had to send the kids indoors as I was going to have to make a heafty payment to the cuss box, as I kicked the cat, and threw a tool or two.

Today I went to clean out my tank vent line due to a nest of dirt dobbers and I accidentally got the fuel line instead of the vent line. I was attempting to wash out the vent line from the tank to the outside vent. Well as I attached a high pressure hose end on what I thought was the vent line it turned out to be the fuel line. So I got a fuel line and carburetor full of water before I realized my error.

So what is the best way to dry out my engine. Is it possible that I also got water in the engine or just the fuel line and carb?

Do I need to remove my carb to try and drain the water out?

skilew77@yahoo.com

Ric
08-04-2006, 12:27 AM
Cripes amighty I have never heard of that one! THat sounds like something I would do!

Leroy
08-04-2006, 12:33 AM
God bless you Skilew! WOW! I can just see myself doing the same thing!

OK, it's a carb boat, I believe you have a fuel pump between the carb and where you were blowing, would it have stopped the high pressure hose?? Also the float and needle should have stopped the water, depends on the pressure. Was this like one of the 2500PSI pressure water cleaners? Hopefully it did not hurt the fuel pump or change the float position.

I would suggest:
Drain the carb bowl, there should be a screw on the bowl, open and try to catch the gas and see if there is any water in the gas. You may luck out.

If there is water in the bowl then drain the bowl, take out the spark plugs, turn over engine enough to blow out any water in the cylinders.

Then I would put it back together and try to start it. May take abit to fill the bowl again and may run rough for few minutes if there was some water to the carb.

Leroy
08-04-2006, 12:44 AM
Water in the Carburetor?
A wife says to her husband, 'There's trouble with the tractor. It has water in the carburetor.'
'Water in the carburetor? That's ridiculous.', replies the husband.
'I tell you the tractor has water in the carburetor!', she said again.
'You don't even know what a carburetor is, so how would you know if it has water in it?
But I'll check it out. Where's the tractor?', her husband asked. 'In the pond.', she replied.

viabill
08-04-2006, 10:21 AM
skilew,
The water could have gotten past the fuel pump, but it's unlikely. Even if it got into the carb, it wouldn't have gone into the engine.

Here's what you should do: As Leroy said, pull one of the two lower screws out of each float bowl on the carb and drain the contents of each. Try to catch the gas/water so you can see if there was any water in it. Then reconnect the fuel line to the tank and disconnect it at the fuel filter. Drain the water from the line until you get clean gas. Then disconnect the line from the fuel pump or, preferably, remove the fuel pump and drain it out. This will also drain the line from the pump to the carb, if there's any water in there. Make sure you replace the fuel filter, also.
That's it. Reconnect all your lines and start it up. Make sure to closely check all of the connections to make sure they aren't seeping any gas. Once you're sure there are no leaks, run the boat on the water for 1/2 hour or so to flush any remining traces of water out of the fuel system.

atlfootr
08-04-2006, 11:11 AM
As the treadmill turns below, the giant fan at the rear of the wind tunnel
draws air over Gotti's bike and body, simulating cycling at 30 mph.

JimN
08-04-2006, 11:53 AM
You could remove the top so the bowl is open and remove any water in it but do it fast- they corrode. Remove both ends of the fuel line and blow the water out with compressed air (I would have used air to clear out the vent, too) and squirt some denatured alcohol into the line, making sure it has a chance to go completely through the line and collect it all.

What motor is it and how much got into the motor? If there's any in the motor, get a mustard bottle and squirt some in, run it on that and see if you can keep it running. This can be dangerous so make sure there's a fire extinguisher and another person nearby.

skilew
08-04-2006, 07:35 PM
I plan on draining the fuel filter and fuel line, then leave the fuel line disconnected from the carb. Then pull the coil wire and turn the engine over with the spark plugs out and let the fuel pump run until I see fresh gas coming out.

I will also drain my float bowls and try to determine if gas or water was in the bowls.

And as far as the cat goes I didn't really kick it but I should have because it was long over due. After finding fur balls in the boat finding evidence of where it had been strecting its claws out and then using the boat along with it other local cats buddies as a brothel hangout!