PDA

View Full Version : What have YOU hit underwater?

TalleyHo
11-08-2004, 11:25 AM
I managed to find the top of a short tree yesterday in 20' of water. I was on the <cough> knee board just after making the turn, and my driver just killed the boat. Of course, I see the glass in front of me and think - DOH! I didn't tell him I turned on the shallow depth alarm.

I paddle up to the boat and as he is saying I hit a tree, I kick something damn sharp. He said he the boat just started shaking. I thought - I figure I'm missing a blade or rudder, or something.

So, I ditch the jacket and the helmet, take a deep breath, and go see how many blades are on the hub -- 1... 2... 3... 4... oops, whats this?!

It seems our vibration was due to a part of the tree being stuck to one one of the blades, like a prop sock!

So, I go back under, run the blades again, spin the prop... all clear.

I thought for sure from what my driver said that we'd be paddling the 5 miles back to the ramp.... Fortunately, that wasn't the case.

jimmer2880
11-08-2004, 11:46 AM
I had a buddy who went to fire up his virtually brand new Moomba (less than 1 hour on the boat). The boat spent the night in his non-lift u-dock.

He jumped in, checked the oil, etc & hit the key. Boat started & put it in gear to back out. Just then, stall city. He couldn't get it to stay running in gear. Come to find out, a short piece of 4x4 had floated down & got caught in his prop. Prop was toast on this 1 hour old boat!

count your blessings.

east tx skier
11-08-2004, 11:54 AM
I hit a broken off channel marker (wooden post) doing about 28 miles per hour. I was in my father-in-law's 98 Prostar 205. Bent one of the blades a good 45 degrees aft. Bent the shaft up so far that the prop took out some of the glass. Took a few months to get the various folks that worked on the boat/supplied parts paid off. The boat now runs more smoothly than it did prior to the accident. It was a long, slow trip back to the launch. That vibration was terrifying.

ktn_cmu
11-08-2004, 12:06 PM
I once hit an underwater boulder while in my Glastron. I broke the skeg, prop and bent the prop shaft. This was on an outboard. I was out before the DNR had a chance to go out and put up the buoys

MasterCrafting
11-08-2004, 12:53 PM
We had a boston whaler...we hit more stumps than anyone can imagine...that thing took one heck of a beating. Its still going...if i had to guess we'd hit over 500 stumps I would never but my MC on that lake though (lake alice wis)

Farmer Ted
11-08-2004, 01:08 PM
Lets start talking totals,

$4100 for my little boo boo

and I still don't have the boat back yet

dealership had to get MC involved

guy couldn't get metalflake to spray correctly

FarmerTed not happy

Mongo need food

Doug where's this heated lake? I will ski one more time this year behind my boat.

San Dimas High School Football ROCKS!!!

Iowa Hawkeyes are lucky Purdue couldn't pull their head out of their @ss

we now return you to your regularly scheduled program....

tex
11-08-2004, 01:56 PM
not underwater-An ex-girlfriend borrowed her brother's truck and boat(not mc). it only had one chain but we were only towing about 3 miles. It came loose from the truck and smashed into a funeral home sign. A very expensive funeral home sign. I just happened to be the one who volunteered to drive.

east tx skier
11-08-2004, 02:46 PM
Tim, take I-20 West. When you see Marshall, TX, start looking for the exit to Highway 43. Take the next exit after the Hwy 43 exit(should be for CR 3215 or something). Left over the freeway. Follow the road and look for signs for the boat launch on the right (a couple of miles down the road). The Power Plant is called "Perkey." The lake is "Martin Creek" lake or reservoir. The power plant isn't always running so you might want to check ahead of time.

I just looked at the 16 day forecast. Looks like Thursday is our last day before daytime temps sit in the 50s. While I'd like to ski some more, I don't think I could coax my wife back out. I'm probably going to winterize on Thursday since I have the day off. That will be my last voyage of the season.

Any further skiing will be behind my father-in-law's boat.

Ric
11-08-2004, 02:54 PM
2 incidences, 2 boats
first one, mine at idle speed, I have no idea what we hit but a small dent in my prop sure vibrated the boat at 3000r's

second one, with another guy's tristar and me skiing in winter on our old local course when the tide was blown out. (We shouldn't have even gotten the boat out this day)

I'm first, we pull up, curve around to line up for the couse & I see them fumbling in the boat & feel the rope slack so I let go & lay over to find myself in 6" of water & 10" of silt (nasty). couldve been alot worse, but we idled with heavy vibrations all the way back to the boathouse to find a crab trap tightly wrapped round his prop & NO damage to the hull!
What a close call indeed. Maybe I need to just stay out of public waters?

Jim@BAWS
11-08-2004, 03:10 PM
We have sand bottoms here so it does not take alot to take the CUP out of a good prop beaching it.

1) First MC (1988 MC PS 190) 2 props in 1 weekend ! Drove it up
to far on the trailer. one by me one by my wife. Almost put it in the back of the truck. NEVER AGAIN AFTER THAT ! (First weekend of ownership)

2) At least 2 8-10 foot gators. No damage to the prop. I know we hit it though. One literally jumped out of the water.

3) A floating baseball hat Bent 1 blade

4) Turtles lots of them

5) Ropes who knows how many. Seems to always happen driving a show with multiple ropes. Always seems like a am pulling some filler act like swivel or swan.

:steering:

Oh well Thats enough

tex
11-08-2004, 04:20 PM
We have sand bottoms here so it does not take alot to take the CUP out of a good prop beaching it.

1) First MC (1988 MC PS 190) 2 props in 1 weekend ! Drove it up
to far on the trailer. one by me one by my wife. Almost put it in the back of the truck. NEVER AGAIN AFTER THAT ! (First weekend of ownership)

2) At least 2 8-10 foot gators. No damage to the prop. I know we hit it though. One literally jumped out of the water.

3) A floating baseball hat Bent 1 blade

4) Turtles lots of them

5) Ropes who knows how many. Seems to always happen driving a show with multiple ropes. Always seems like a am pulling some filler act like swivel or swan.

:steering:

Oh well Thats enough

What show?

AirJunky
11-08-2004, 06:34 PM
Rafted up with a dozen other boats on Sammamish & I picked up a mooring line. Tweeked the stainless prop a tiny bit, just enough to give it a little shimmy. Then last April I drop the 205 in Lake Coeur d'Alene, cruisin around & we decide to go house shopping up the Spokane River. We got about a mile or two up & grounded the boat on the bottom..... in about 1' of water! Come to find out they have a man made shelf in the river bed so that if the dam ever broke, Lake CdA would only drain down to that point..... would be damn nice of them to post that little detail somewhere!!
The blessing in disguise was that I was still running the brass prop after pulling the SS prop off due to the mooring line months before! Damage was minimal, dinged up the skegs & prop a bit. Repaired them with an autobody hammer & a file & the prop works perfectly now!

lakes Rick
11-08-2004, 07:18 PM
My first boat was a Glastron Carlson outboard ( You know just like the one in James Bond " Live and Let Die" used in the bayou scene)

Thought I was being real efficient lowering the Outboard motor before I backed it in... Boat didnt run very good.. After I pulled it out I was quite shocked at what was left of the Aluminim prop... Two blades gone and half of the third missing. They broke off when I was backing it in on the grooves in the ramp concrete.. It actually ran pretty good for what was left of the prop...

This is a good lesson for anyone getting their first boat.. Get a junker you can learn with........

DanC
11-08-2004, 08:19 PM
Memorable ones (I try to forget the others)

We were out camping and some people on the boat ramp had pulled their inboard up the ramp on the trailer and were complaining about it not running right and tons of vibration at high speed. I chatted, and then checked the propeller. It seemed fine, chatted some more. While eyeballing the shaft I saw a 16" long, 6" diameter piece of driftwood perfectly impaled crosswise on the first tracking fin.

Not really underwater but a good lesson. First 1980 Ski Nautique (bought it used) with a rusted out POS drive-on trailer. Had my brother-in-law drive it on after our first outing. He said something didn't feel right. I told him to give it some more gas. Anyway the result was the trailer was not made for that boat. The bunks were close together and the boat guides let the boat swing left and right enough that the prop made kindling of the back end of the trailer bunks.

paulphillipson
11-08-2004, 08:36 PM
We were at Boca Reservoir up in the Sierras, and the water level was waydown. My buddy was pulling me at 36, and as I crossed the wake, the rope went slack, whereupon I started sinking in the water and hit the bottom with my ski. I was probably going 30+, and tumbled many times with no injuries. The boat was stopped in about 14" of water, and my buddy had turned white watching me roll. We limped (vibrating) back to the ramp to find the prop was toast. I had it redone at the local prop shop, adn the boat was good as new. Lucky.

erkoehler
11-09-2004, 02:12 AM
lake alice in Wisconsin really does suck big time. My uncle has a pontoon boat on there, and everytime we go out he is hitting stumps and all kinds of stuff. It is definetly a fishing lake, although, my aunt did ski once. Watching someone try to ski behind a pontoon boat is actually quite amusing! :D

sizzler
11-09-2004, 04:59 AM
before buying the x9 and moving to a lake,we skiied on tidal saltwater creeks that sometimes only filled up 1-2 hrs either side of highwater..the smallest being only 20-30ft wide but a mile or so long...they would be about 24 in deep in the middle,so we would enter them at 40ish ,longlining barefoot.....the outboard would kick up water and mud ,,,if you fell off 2 things happened...
1. it hurt
2.you had to walk back out of the creek in knee high mud.....the boat could not stop for anything.....

"beach" starts down 20-30ft of mud were great ...you were as black as the ace of spades by the time you hit the water.....skiing around the creeks was great..too close to the outside of the bend and your skeg would ground ..flying with no skis !!!!.....

on a naughty note .....one day some fellas in a big cruiser who did not know the area,were roughing up our water for the sheer hell of it ,not even skiing....we moored up the barefoot200 and knelt down in the water,about 20 yayds away playing around ....they came flying past us (10ft away)...we watched one of them fly out the front on to the (soft) mud...and 30ft of searay embedded in mud...they may even still be there :D ..........(slap wrist now)

ski_king
11-09-2004, 11:38 AM
I have been lucky and have only had one small prop ding on my 82 and that was the first year I had it.

I was skiing behind a Nautique a few years back (friend just bought it used, first trip out). We were in plenty of water, at least 30 feet deep and lost the prop and half of the prop shaft! We didnít hit anything either. The prop shaft twisted off, right behind the strut.
As it turns out, the original owner ran it aground and made a new prop shaft from the wrong material (appeared to be bronze plated silver) and traded it in. It worked fine at low speed, but under hard skiing, it twisted right off.
The good news was the dealer who sold it, made good and replaced all the parts with OEM.

I still tell him if he bought a MasterCraft, that would have never happened.

captkidd
11-09-2004, 12:02 PM
Several years ago, first trip of the year, I unloaded the boat and tried to get it turned around so I could get away from the launch ramp. I hit a very large rock and mangled the prop.

A few years later, my wife convinced me (against my better judgment) to go over and check the upper end of a lake we weren't familiar with. There was a huge slab of rock about a foot under the surface of the water and we hit it with the tracking fins and the prop. Fins were just scratched but the prop was shot. Someone in another boat yelled over to warn us about the rock right after we hit it. There were no warning signs posted at all. She felt so bad about it that she bought me a new 4-blade SS prop for my birthday that year.

sfitzgerald351
11-09-2004, 12:43 PM
As I read these I think about the need for smaller lakes to have hydrographic suveys done. It always amazes me how hard it can be to find out good info on lakes and rivers when you show up as a newbie.

That said, I grew up boating on Lake Tahoe which is fortunate enough to have USCG presence and US Gov't charts. When I was like 12 my parents bought their current boat. THe first day we picked it up we went down to Emerald Bay which has a very shallow entrance channel marked by a red/green combo and then farther out 2 white "5 mph" buoys. Right near the 5 mph buoys is a Danger Rock buoy (Why the heck do they make danger and information buoys the same design. You can't tell if it's a circle or diamond until you're real close to the buoy and then if it's marking a rock, you're probably on it!) Anyway, the lake was real low and the white buoys had swung around so it looked like we were supposed to pass between the 5 mph and danger buoy to get to the red/green. Anyway, that was wrong and we took out the prop, lower shaft, and skeg on the outdrive going over a rock at 20 mph. Insurance replaced it all, but the nearby marina that rebuilt the drive did a crappy job and didn't notice that one of the lower gears had a cracked tooth. Halfway through the summer we're driving across the lake and are about in the middle (26 miles long, 13 miles wide... the middle is way out!) and the lower unit on the drive pretty much exploded when the gear fractured and blew a hole out the side of the outdrive. 1 new lower unit later and 18 years later the boat is still running good and no more rocks!

cholland
11-09-2004, 02:02 PM
Two years ago on a nice fall Saturday the wife and I go out to the lake to get the boat out of the marina to put it away for the winter. It is such a pretty day we decide to cruise around for a while. Well the wife is driving PS 205 and Iím jacking with the CD case looking for some tunes. The wife is normally a great driver . . . she is always looking for the smooth water and isn't afraid to drive parallel to the bank at pretty short distances. Well normally that is not a problem because the lake doesn't have a ton of shallow areas off the banks. However, the lake was lower than normal and we were in an area where we never really spent much time. So we are cruising around 32 mph and I am looking through the CDs . . . the bank is on the starboard side and something catches my eye on the port side as I look up at it I can clearly see it says danger. Well about that time we hit bottom and we are not talking about mud . . . these are rocks. The boat had enough momentum where we went right over and through the rocky area and into deeper water. My first reaction was if the wife was OK and other than a jammed finger from the steering wheel she was fine. My second thought was are we going to sink so I quickly looked in the engine well and I didn't see any water rushing in so I thought at least we won't have to swim. There happened to be some fishermen nearby and they had seen us heading for the rocks and came over immediately to see if we were OK. They were also nice enough to tow us in.

Well once we had the boat on the trailer we could start to see the extent of the damage. Two fins were gone the third was bent, shaft was bent, strut was bent, and the prop was folded up into the strut, hence the boat wouldnít run. Upon further inspection the hull was cracked all the way through in 3 places. All in all - total damage was $7,500, which included 100 hours of fiberglass repair work.

sbuell
11-09-2004, 02:03 PM
I always tried to get the most info available about any body of water I was new to. We had a family reunion a few years ago at Lake Arbutus in WI. Both WI and MN provide lake maps through the respective DNR web sites. Part of the reason the site was choosen for the reunion was that all indications about the skiability of the lake were good. The damn controlled the water height (NOT depth) and the maps indicated the water was plenty deep near the campground we were staying at. Put the boat in and choose to do a couple of low speed runs up and down the lake to look for anything that might be an issue. We had gone up through the narrow part already and didn't think a whole lot about the return trip. Evidently we were farther to the east by about 50' when we completely ran aground. We were in water that was maybe 12" deep and we were at least 300 yards from either shore. According to the map it was supposed to be over 10' deep. It seems that the small stream near the boat launch had been depositing quite a bit of sand along that side of the lake since the lake was last surveyed in 1974!! Case in point - make sure to check the vintage of your maps. We were sure we were done for the whole weekend with a bent prop or worse. After we walked the boat to deeper water all seemed to run smooth as before.

6balls
11-09-2004, 03:42 PM
In my recreational exploits my underwater strikes have been limited to the usual, stumps, logs, and the bottom of the lake.

However, at work we encounter a variety of novelties either floating on the surface or just below. These have included countless 50 gallon drums, a nylon fishing net, abandoned spud pipes, a 6 inch diameter 6 foot length of rope, a variety of synthetic materials in sheet form (like Tyvek), picnic tables, and a love seat.

We haven't struck, but we have recovered the occaisonal dead body.

Just another day on the Milwaukee River. :D

Leroy
11-09-2004, 10:06 PM
6Balls; Wow! What do you do in "Hospitality and Entertainment" to find that stuff?

6balls
11-10-2004, 01:52 AM
Leroy, This is my gig. Edelweiss Cruise Lines (http://edelweisscruise.com)

jimmer2880
11-10-2004, 06:50 AM
In my recreational exploits my underwater strikes have been limited to the usual, stumps, logs, and the bottom of the lake.

However, at work we encounter a variety of novelties either floating on the surface or just below. These have included countless 50 gallon drums, a nylon fishing net, abandoned spud pipes, a 6 inch diameter 6 foot length of rope, a variety of synthetic materials in sheet form (like Tyvek), picnic tables, and a love seat.

We haven't struck, but we have recovered the occaisonal dead body.

Just another day on the Milwaukee River. :D
Did you forget the occasional quasi floating tire? We get a couple of those a year here on the potomac. They're fun since they are black & float right at water-level or just below.

Leroy
11-10-2004, 07:34 AM
Leroy, This is my gig. Edelweiss Cruise Lines (http://edelweisscruise.com/)Now that is a cool gig!

I love these stories of pf what people have hit/found. But somehow am glad I can't contribute.......

ski_500
11-10-2004, 09:47 AM
We launch at a place called Bob's Fishin' Hole. (no kiddin') The quality of the ramp is a rustic as the name implies. The first year I had my '88 Prostar, who ever was driving the truck up the ramp, bounced through some pot holes and the lowest blade got whacked on the ramp. The older trailers didn't come with prop guards. -first visist to the prop repair shop.

Later that year, We were pulling some friends at Lake Gaston on the NC/Va border, and hit a submerged Rock. After limping back the dock at idle speed, we pulled the boat out and saw all three blades curled. - 2nd visit to the prop repair shop.

Since then, I've replaced the bunks on the trailer to give an extra 2"" of clearance. And I fabricated a guard for the trailer. (still working through the final fitting of this) After both visits to the prop shop they provide an analysis of the prop, size, weight, pitch etc... for each blade. I noticed I'd lost like a quarter of an inch off the total diameter. So, I got a new SS prop, and I'm keeping the old one as a back-up.

jimmer2880
11-10-2004, 11:33 AM
We launch at a place called Bob's Fishin' Hole. (no kiddin') The quality of the ramp is a rustic as the name implies. The first year I had my '88 Prostar, who ever was driving the truck up the ramp, bounced through some pot holes and the lowest blade got whacked on the ramp. The older trailers didn't come with prop guards. -first visist to the prop repair shop.

Later that year, We were pulling some friends at Lake Gaston on the NC/Va border, and hit a submerged Rock. After limping back the dock at idle speed, we pulled the boat out and saw all three blades curled. - 2nd visit to the prop repair shop.

Since then, I've replaced the bunks on the trailer to give an extra 2"" of clearance. And I fabricated a guard for the trailer. (still working through the final fitting of this) After both visits to the prop shop they provide an analysis of the prop, size, weight, pitch etc... for each blade. I noticed I'd lost like a quarter of an inch off the total diameter. So, I got a new SS prop, and I'm keeping the old one as a back-up.
Gaston is a beautiful lake! I spent a week down there 3 years ago. Easy to find rocks of you happen to wander into the duck hunting area! :uglyhamme

tex
11-10-2004, 01:48 PM
Now that is a cool gig!

I love these stories of pf what people have hit/found. But somehow am glad I can't contribute.......

Way to jinx yourself! Sucks being you next summer!

Leroy
11-10-2004, 02:52 PM
:eek3: It'll be worth a post.......

dmac
11-11-2004, 08:09 AM
I will be going to the prop shop this winter as the tips were bent when I went up a feeder river that got shallow faster than I expected. I saw boats docked at the house beyond where this occurred so I was a little surprised. :huh: I am writing this off as part of the learning curve of having an inboard after 30+ years of driving outboards.

Not quite as glamorous as some of the other tales I have read.

MarkP
11-11-2004, 09:24 AM
I donít know what I hit in the Nautique center channel on the Mon river, but it folded one blade up really well. By the time I made it upstream to the launch the vibration took out the strut bearing and a transmission seal

And

On the last trip out this year I found out that our recent floods extended the shoal on the downstream side of an island I ski behind. I got lucky and just polished the prop in the mud.

whitedog
11-28-2004, 05:24 AM
After 30 plus years of boating it is hard to remember everything I have hit. (grew up boating on upper Mississippi). Stay in marked channel almost safe, venture elseware at your own risk. Never hit anything with inboard always used fishing boat and deapth finder to check out new water. Have towed lots of people who do not follow USCG navigation rules. We have hit everything from wing dams (man made rock piles) to stumps, sand and mud bottoms but the most fun :noface: was the 55 gal drum floating on end 2 inches below the water. Hit that with my dad's old crestliner tri hull in late 70's no fiberglass damage, lost prop and part of skeg, made one big bang and shredded the drum. Good thing power tilt was an option on those mid 70 evenrudes.

atlfootr
11-30-2004, 08:56 AM
Can't say this was in the water, can say it must of hurt as bad :mad:
Luckly, it wasn't me :dance:

Owner hit a bump in the road, causing spring to break and the axle to break loose from the trailer.

Ric
11-30-2004, 10:45 AM
SO, how did you get it home? a wrecker or what? I remember a supra which I broke an axle and we had to do some weird stuff to get it onto one of those tilt bed wreckers.

atlfootr
12-01-2004, 12:21 PM
Here's what the owner had to do ...

He had a barefooter friend, that gave him the phone number for the local MasterCraft Dealer to get a trailer or to have his fixed. That was the easy part. He then was driven to another footers house who provided use of his garage to lift the boat off the wrecker and one of his neighbors loaned him his trailer to temporarily set the boat on.

The next day they had a loner trailer from the MasterCraft dealer so that they were able to get back to Wichita to have the boat worked on. :woohoo:

jimmer2880
12-02-2004, 05:55 AM
From looking at the pic's.... it looks like it's a good thing the boat WASN'T tied down this time. That would have added the weight of the trailer to the amount of pressure the tire was putting on the hull.

Hope that never happens to me! Guess that's another reason for a tandem axle trailer :eek:

Ric
12-02-2004, 10:22 AM
Here's what the owner had to do ...

He had a barefooter friend, that gave him the phone number for the local MasterCraft Dealer to get a trailer or to have his fixed. That was the easy part. He then was driven to another footers house who provided use of his garage to lift the boat off the wrecker and one of his neighbors loaned him his trailer to temporarily set the boat on.

The next day they had a loner trailer from the MasterCraft dealer so that they were able to get back to Wichita to have the boat worked on. :woohoo:
WOW, FWIW, the boat owner needs to be told that there was a recall on some mc trailers which had leafs that would break or come apart. (my dealer told me AFTER mine broke, but I didnt have a crash like this one, I just realized it when my trailer kept dragging when I tried to back into my driveway) Might be worth looking into for sure. And anyone on here who hasn't checked it, there is a recall list at mymc
http://www.mymastercraft.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=10&sid=997bbfcd3c00a334bae90c99052299b7

bradamerry
05-14-2005, 02:03 AM
Wild women!!!!! :woohoo:

Britt
05-14-2005, 04:01 AM
Hit a sunken Barge in Florida after a hurricane put it under in my 51 Thompson and ripped off about 4 planks running bow to stern. Boat sank in 15 feet of water within 20 seconds and came to rest with the bow sticking about 2 feet out of the water. That was interesting

MarkP
05-14-2005, 08:35 AM
I hit a submerged log in the Mon river with the Nautique. Bent two of three blades and by the time I got back to the launch (had to use power as it was upstream and fast that day) I lost a strut bearing and a tranny seal. The price was almost 200 bucks..