PDA

View Full Version : How much trans fluid does it hold?

hz900
08-03-2006, 10:13 PM
'92 Prostar 205

Changing fluid out of trans due to leaking trans cooler and water getting into transmission and need to know how much fluid to put back in. Apparently these came with oil in the transmission and I will be replacing with Dextron III per others suggestions from a previous post.

Thanks.

Footin
08-03-2006, 10:27 PM
If you can get everything out it will hold about a 1 1/2 quarts.

I changed mine this year and put in Mobil1 synthetic dextron 3.

hz900
08-04-2006, 12:04 AM
If you can get everything out it will hold about a 1 1/2 quarts.

I changed mine this year and put in Mobil1 synthetic dextron 3.

Well that much did not come out thats for sure. A little more than 1/2 quart is what I'm guessing, maybe a full quart but I doubt it. I don't know how much was in there to begin with though. The trans was slipping like it was low on fluid is the only reason I checked it and noticed the water in the oil, so it might have indeed been low to begin with, this boat has leaks all over. I plan on cleaning and fixing all leaks this winter. Boat has been sitting for three weeks and I changed the trans cooler so hopefully most of what was in the lines and in other places had time to drain back and I got most of it.

Any harm in mixing the dextron with the oil if there is some left. I plan on flushing several times, running it between flushes, to make sure all water is out.