PDA

View Full Version : New Fuel Pump - Autoparts?

peterb
08-03-2006, 09:27 AM
I may be purchasing a new fuel pump for my 86 with a 351. Does anyone know if one from any old autoparts store will work or do I have to get one from a MC Dealer, West Marine, Skidim, or the like... marinized? Of course going to a autoparts with anything for a boat, as soon as you answer the "what kind of vehicle is this for?" question you get an immediate "Sorry, can't help you"... most likely because their little computer system won't tell them and they aren't that smart.

JimN
08-03-2006, 09:48 AM
One from a car parts store should work fine. If you can take the old one in, it may be easier for them, the poor dears.

Nothing like doing someone's job for them, eh?

pkskier
08-03-2006, 04:29 PM
You do not want to get an automotive fuel pump you want one that has been marinized. On the auto pump there is no place to hook the clear tube to, if the diaphram in the pump breaks in will pump gas into the boat.

JimN
08-03-2006, 04:58 PM
Good point about the gas being pumped into the bilge. Doesn't a car pump have a place for the fitting that the hose goes onto?

pkskier
08-04-2006, 04:11 PM
On a car it will just pump it out onto the ground so you know there is a problem.

peterb
08-08-2006, 11:12 PM
Well I replaced the fuel pump (from a MC dealer)... still stalling at 35+...

That now makes the replacement tally of:

- Rebuilt Carb
- Replaced fuel/water seperator
- Anti-siphon at tank
and now
- Replaced fuel pump

Any other suggestions?

Hunterb
08-09-2006, 12:48 AM
It does sound like a fuel starvation problem, but you've changed everything that could cause that. Have you checked your timing advance to ensure that it's advancing all the way or possibly too far? I wonder if a broken or weak advance spring in the distributor would cause problems at high speed? If it's only at high RPM then it may be something to do with the secondary side of the carb; possibly a plugged jet or passage on that side. I think the secondaries open up around 3300 RPM which is right about where you are running into trouble. When you rebuilt the carb were you very careful with the vacuum mechanism for the secondaries? There is a tiny ball bearing in there that needs to be in the right place and it's also possible to tear the diaphragm with the screws when reinstallng the top. Did you put the standard spring back in?

Just a couple thoughts. There are some people who know a lot more about carbs etc. than me on this board and I'm sure one of them will pop in soon with some suggestions. Hope you get it figured out before your holiday.

Bruce

JimN
08-09-2006, 09:36 AM
So, the only thing in the fuel system not checked or replaced is the fuel line, right? It could be constricted or blocked. There could also be a delamination internally.

Bruce Carr
08-09-2006, 11:17 AM
Have you checked the strainer on the end of the pick up tube in the tank? What about the vent line at the tank?

peterb
08-09-2006, 12:47 PM
The fuel hose from the hose barb into the tank is about a foot long and looks clear. Their is no strainer on the end of the pickup... just a brass tube open all the way through.

The vent tube from the top of the tank to the back of the boat was checked, it's clear and the screen on the back of the boat is clog free.

The fuel line from the top of the tank to the fuel/water seperator and the fuel line from the fuel/water seperator to the fuel pump was NOT replaced but we blew air through it to make sure it wasn't obstructed.