PDA

View Full Version : Steering wheel - two questions

bdecker
08-02-2006, 10:56 PM
I love the way my TT197 handles (especially with the 06 rudder), but there are two things about the steering wheel that annoy me.

1. It is not aligned with the rudder when straight. Is this as simple as removing the allen screws and adjusting where the wheel attaches to the column. If so, that looks extremely simple. Has anyone done this? Will it line up consistently once adjusted?

2. The finish of the wheel is lousy. The rest of my interior is clean, but the wheel always looks dusty- but it isn't. Is there any way to bring it back without making it super slippery and/or leaving black stains all over hands..

vogelm1
08-05-2006, 11:45 PM
What will work well is to bring a socket wrench along with you next time you're on the water....load the boat as you would for skiing and bring the boat up to 32-34 mph - note where the wheel is located and where you need it to be. Stop the boat and take off the center hub nut. The wheel is splined and should pull right off; move where you prefer it and you should be all set. The wheel alignment will change with speed (because of engine torque), so mine is straight at the speed we normally pull (34 mph).

vogelm1
08-05-2006, 11:47 PM
Oh yeah, forgot about the finish on the wheel...a few of us here have had problems with the wheel grip fading or discoloring...I have a call into my local dealer to warranty it. Supposedly it will be covered. Sounds like your boat is new, so maybe that is the route to go. Others have tried 303, cleaner, etc with not much luck in bringing the color back.