PDA

View Full Version : Which Prop?

6ballsisall
11-07-2004, 10:08 AM
I know this has been hashed out many times but couldnt find exactly what I am looking for in the search results.

I have a 86 Prostar 1:1 that has a fairly massaged 351 Windsor. I guesstimate it is making about 325hp or so as is right now. It has a 4 blade prop on it now and don't know how to tell what it is in size. Only had the boat out once since the transimission fiasco and the prop is dinged. I have read that a 4 blade is not recommended for a velvet drive. Is this true?

What prop would everyone recommend for someone who will do very little wakeboarding, will pull swivel skiers, but the primary use of the boat will be for slalom skiing and barefooting. Boat now (before crappy prop) will do 48 mph, would like it to remain that top end for barefooting. Any ideas?

Thanks for your advice!

Jim@BAWS
11-07-2004, 10:51 AM
Fairly Massaged?? What do you mean by that?
Standard motor is a Indmar FORD 351 240 HP 1:1
PowerSlot Tranny? Better hole shot 1.0-1.5 les MPH on the top end.

4 blade bad for a VELVET Drive? No way only makes it better.
A dinged up or bend prop is bad for a tranny.

The perfect prop for that boat is a CUTTER 4 blade stainless 13 x 12 1/2.

Will hold GREAT low speed for SWIVEL. Better hole shot for slalom,
Hold speed better at MID range RPM,s

Questions give me a call. I have them in stock and will even take
your OLD 3 blade on trade.

www.bayareawatersports.com

Jim

6ballsisall
11-07-2004, 11:08 AM
Thanks Jim!

Tryed to check out your site, is it down? I can't get on.

Massaged= worked motor/tweaked for power. It has higher compression, worked over heads, larger jets in the carb, medium cam, fairly hot ignition, it runs pretty strong.

How will the Cutter work out for slalom wakes and will this lower top end any? Are the stainless a stronger prop than the nibral? I know on my families I/O the Stainless made a huge difference over the cheap aluminum props, a lot less flex. Would it be the same comparison as the nibral?

Laurel_Lake_Skier
11-07-2004, 11:09 AM
I'm curious to see the answers that show up here. I use my 91 ProStar with 351 for a lot of 'footing and would love to get 48 out of it. I top out at 42-43. What changes have been done to the engine to jump to 325hp?

6ballsisall
11-07-2004, 11:12 AM
Laurel Lake, I love that place!! Went there for my 1st timet his summer.

See mods above. I can't take credif for all the work, it was done when I bought the boat recently. However, I do have all the receipts from the work done. Estimated HP I got from a few Ford performance sites.

east tx skier
11-09-2004, 12:02 PM
I'm not trying to stir up the great prop debate too much, but I'm quite fond of saying that my 3 blade Acme prop is some of the best money I've spent on my boat. There are several people on this board that have gone with Acme and have been very happy. I have not skied behind a boat with a cutter 4 blade stainless prop and can't offer a comparison. I've never seen someone take an old 3 blade on trade though. Pretty sweet offer!

AHudgins
11-09-2004, 11:47 PM
undefinedundefined
Just checking out the board for the first time, I have found a lot of helpful information and I will be glad to give my two cents (if I think it will help out).

I have owned a '79 MasterCraft with 1:1 transmission, a '87 MasterCraft Powerslot 1.5:1, and I now own a 95 Maristar V-drive 1.5:1 I swapped out my original 3 blade on the '79 MasterCraft for an OJ 4 blade, and I have put the OJ on every boat I have owned since then. I am not going to worry about the brand names, but there is just no comparison between the 3 blade and the 4 blade. The hole shot is quicker, it rides smoother, and there is a lot less noise in the boat. I spent a few extra bucks and put the OJ XMP 4 on my Maristar. My wife (of 16 years) has never skied, she just rides in the boat. She commented as soon as I hit the throttle how smooth it was. I got my OJ at Skiertoskier.com.
Hope to post more in the future,
Ashby

jpattigr
11-11-2004, 04:11 PM
I have a PT 197 with Powerslot 1.5:1 ratio and have a like new 4 blade Acme 14 x 20 prop that i purchased new this spring that I will not need. If you are interested drop me a note jpattigr@yahoo.ca as I would consider selling this prop.

EricB
11-11-2004, 05:37 PM
I have to agree with AHudgins. Did the same with my 2 boats (a 77 1:1 and an 83 Slot) and did exactly as he said, and my wife commented also. 4 blade props are very smooth.
However, inthe case of an older boat w/a "massaged" motor, doing what you want to do with it I would try a 13 X 14. You have the HP (supposedly) and this will maintain your speed but drop the RPM's slightly. It will be alittle easier on the engine @ barefoot speeds. If you have the HP claimed, you'll have no problem coming out of the hole.

6ballsisall
11-11-2004, 11:34 PM
Cool, thanks for the advice guys. What does the numbers on the prop mean? 13 x 14, is that 13" diameter by 14" forward movement for every prop rotation? Jim, I havent forgotten about you, I am planning on calling tommorrow or monday.

6ballsisall
11-11-2004, 11:41 PM
I have a PT 197 with Powerslot 1.5:1 ratio and have a like new 4 blade Acme 14 x 20 prop that i purchased new this spring that I will not need. If you are interested drop me a note jpattigr@yahoo.ca as I would consider selling this prop.

I appreciate the offer but the powerslot has a different shaft size than the Velvet Drive 1:1. Thanks though!

east tx skier
11-15-2004, 12:19 PM
I don't believe the smoothness of the ride has anything to do with the number of blades on the prop, but rather, more with the fit and finish of the prop. From personal experience, a 3 blade CNC'd prop like an acme or an XMP will be smoother than a 3 blade prop that is hand finished. With hand finished props, it has traditionally been the result that a 4 blade is smoother than a 3 blade though. But having gone with a CNC'd prop, I wouldn't go back at this point.

As for hole shot, I was recently talking to one of the fellows at skidim, who told me that they had done a side-by-side with Acme's 3 blade versus their 4 blade and, as Acme claims, had shown better results with the 3 blade.

jake
11-15-2004, 05:58 PM
I'll voice in on the side of the Acme 3-blade. You have to realize that it's not a traditional 3-blade in that it has the same surface area (approx) as the four blade. At least go read about the science of prop efficiency on Acme's web site and make your own decision. Basic science says that fewer blades will be more efficient, but the challenge is in balancing few blades with a design that can be accurately balanced. As you get fewer blades, the mass per blade increases and it becomes difficult to balance. With the CNC process, they can maintain perfect balance in a more efficient 3 blade design.

I'd also say that I picked up huge improvements in hole shot and actually gained 1-1.5 mph top end with my Acme cnc'd 3 blade.

And talk about smooth......there aren't enough "o"s in smoooooth to describe it. It was like a new boat the first time I drove it with the CNC'd prop. My wife also noticed right away, so it was not a subtle change.

End of the day, regardless of if you decide to go with a 3 or 4 blade prop, do go with a CNC'd prop....can't recommend it highly enough.