PDA

View Full Version : Gauges bounce and read high

torbmi
08-02-2006, 02:00 PM
'89 Tristar. When I turn anything on, like the blower, or the stereo, the temp gauge, oil pressure gauge, etc. will read higher, or if the radio is on, they will bounce, as if they are dancing to the beat of the bass. Funky, yes, but useful, no.

I assume it's some sort of non-specific grounding issue somewhere that I'll have to hunt down - but does anyone have any suggestions?

wesgardner
08-03-2006, 10:04 AM
Ive had all kinds of starting issues and finally ran in a new "main" feed to my key switch, it DID fix the starting issue but also seems to have stabilized my gauges some...you may wanna look on the "ground" side to see if all is well...Ive heard that in the older boats, these wires may have just been undersized a bit and now that corrosion and age has set in...

On the newer boats, apparently there is a gauge module that can be replaced that maybe fixes some of that stuff - on e of my riding crew has a 1999 205V that he fixed by replacing the module

Hope this helps

Danimal
08-03-2006, 10:38 AM
'89 Tristar. When I turn anything on, like the blower, or the stereo, the temp gauge, oil pressure gauge, etc. will read higher, or if the radio is on, they will bounce, as if they are dancing to the beat of the bass. Funky, yes, but useful, no.

I assume it's some sort of non-specific grounding issue somewhere that I'll have to hunt down - but does anyone have any suggestions?

I have the same problem. Temp reads approx 168 until I turn on the blower or bilge pump. Temp guage then pops up to 190. It freaked me out when I first got the boat. Thought I was having an over heating issue until I figured it out. I haven't fixed it becasue it's not hurting anything. It's something I can live with. I try to live by the mantra - If it's not broke... don't fix it.

With my Murphy's luck I would fix it but open up a can of worms with my 89 TriStar.

WTRSK1R
08-12-2006, 09:40 AM
The issue as Wesgardner pointed out is related to the main feed from the battery to the ignition switch. Put simply, it is too small for the amount of current you are drawing. The bounce with the radio is caused by the increased current that the radio draws when it creates a bass beat. You can demonstrate the issue by playing with the bass control and watching the bounce on the gauges as you lower it. If your issue is like the one I experienced in my 1992 205, the issue is much worse when the boat is not running. For example, my volt meter would read about 10 volts when the boat was off and bounced like crazy with the radio. If I started the boat, it would read about 12 volts and the bounce was reduced some. If you took a hand volt meter and went to the battery, it would read about 13 volts regardless of if the boat was running or not. I could also make all the gauges jump by turning the blower on or off. It never really created any issues, so I just ignored it. The one thing you could look at if you want to is the kill switch. If the kill switch is becoming resistive, it will impact this issue since the voltage to the ignition switch runs through it.

Steve