PDA

View Full Version : It doesn't surprise me!

TMCNo1
08-02-2006, 12:26 PM
Our local Hardees opens at 5:30am every morning with their employees coming in at 4:30am. At 6:45am, I stopped to get coffee and a biscuit with some of my breakfast buddies and Hardees was closed due to "Technical Difficulties". Went across the street to the local "Greasy Spoon" and got breakfast and some of my buddies were there! Nobody knew what was going on at Hardees, so I started home, I saw Hardees was open and some of my other buddies were there, so I stopped to find out what happened. And I asked and was told, "YOU AIN'T GONNA BELIEVE THIS"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
When the Hardees employees came to work, the computer system that helps run the cash registers was down. The manager found out that NO ONE on her staff, including herself, had the math skills to add up orders, calculate discounts, taxes, etc., etc. and no one had a calculator. So at 5:00am, she sent one of the girls that runs a cash register to Wal-Mart, 8 miles away, with $10 and told her to get 2 calculators. She was gone 2 hours, because she said she couldn't find any, till she asked a "May I Help You" and was told they were in the "Electronics Section" and were $6.49 each, so she got 1, because she had no money on her or a credit card to buy a second. Hardees opened at 7:15am and when I stopped by at 7:45am, there was a line 20 people long, because the 1 person who said they knew how to operate a calculator was having trouble doing so!
Apparently this is our Educational System at work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

erkoehler
08-02-2006, 12:28 PM
WOW, thats just great :(

Workin' 4 Toys
08-02-2006, 12:33 PM
And forcing the kids these days to do EVERYTHING on a computer is good why?!?!?!??
Sad thing is, same thing goes for some of the offices around. If the computer system is down, go home......YIKES!!

sizzler
08-02-2006, 12:34 PM
that just makes ya proud ,,,durn it:mad:

Workin' 4 Toys
08-02-2006, 12:41 PM
that just makes ya proud ,,,durn it:mad:
Mr microsft is loving this.. Just how stoopid/dependant we can be on them...

6ballsisall
08-02-2006, 12:45 PM
Very sad!! Make sure you give me all their names (employees) so I know NEVER to hire any of them in the future!! :rolleyes:

Upper Michigan Prostar190
08-02-2006, 12:49 PM
Oh I just love stories like that! I have had several expereinces like that in our local subway and one of the gas stations.....as my buddy calls them "high functioning idiots":uglyhamme :rolleyes:

slink976
08-02-2006, 12:54 PM
And we are raising minimum wage becuase ????

Workin' 4 Toys
08-02-2006, 01:10 PM
Oh I just love stories like that! I have had several expereinces like that in our local subway and one of the gas stations.....as my buddy calls them "high functioning idiots":uglyhamme :rolleyes:
You are excluded from this type of behavior. They still think the commodor is new technology...8p up there...

G-man
08-02-2006, 01:34 PM
Glad to see the N.C. educational system has a grip on things. For a moment I thought you were in Texas.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
08-02-2006, 01:42 PM
Hey NOw WFT, are you saying that just because I have a green monochrome monitor that I cant enjoy the new screen layout that everyone keeps talking about here?:mad:

;)

TMCNo1
08-02-2006, 01:59 PM
Glad to see the N.C. educational system has a grip on things. For a moment I thought you were in Texas.

I think I saw on Oprah late the other evening that the US had gone from 1st to 28th, in the world, in Math, in the last 15 years.
We just buy the oil, the other countries have to know Math to count the Profits! IMO
They asked 5 Asians and 5 American young adults, who the first 5 US Presidents were. The Asians got most, if not all right, the Americans knew practically none of them.:twocents:

I want a 2 small coffees, 1 sausage and egg biscuit, 1 hash brown, 2 enema raisin biscuits, senior citizens discount and I got a coupon,,,,,,,,,,,,,,UH?,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,that'll be $1.07,,,,,,,,,,,,,UH!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I think!,,,,,,,,,,,,UH!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,T hat's right, I guess, UH!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Yea!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I think!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sir, you know you can get the combo for $3.29 don't you?

captain planet
08-02-2006, 02:34 PM
If this makes any of you feel better my parents have a seasonal business and we hire a few high school students each season (mostly friends kids). Our cash register is the OLD style with the pull handle and the rows of numbers on top. It's not even electric! Now, each sale is added up on an adding machine which is manual, but the sale is entered on the cash register and making change is done manually. We make it a point to make sure all the kids know how to make change before the season is over.

TMCNo1
08-02-2006, 02:57 PM
If this makes any of you feel better my parents have a seasonal business and we hire a few high school students each season (mostly friends kids). Our cash register is the OLD style with the pull handle and the rows of numbers on top. It's not even electric! Now, each sale is added up on an adding machine which is manual, but the sale is entered on the cash register and making change is done manually. We make it a point to make sure all the kids know how to make change before the season is over.

That's probably the way it should be done everywhere today, but technology has taken over. Wait till the toilets become computerized, then we will be in deep...........................!

TMCNo1
08-02-2006, 03:09 PM
When I was a draftman in the metal building industry, our engineers used sliderules to design every component of the building. One of our engineers bought one of the early HP calculators for $900 and it was on. Now that calculator can be bought, most anywhere for $5 to $10. An entire building took days to design and today it takes minutes by the main computer at corp. headquarters. The draftsmen and engineers are now only paper shufflers and part time problem solvers and CS reps.

Workin' 4 Toys
08-02-2006, 03:18 PM
That's probably the way it should be done everywhere today, but technology has taken over. Wait till the toilets become computerized, then we will be in deep...........................!
inevitable (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EVH9PO/102-9261510-2174512?v=glance&n=228013):o

playtherapy
08-02-2006, 04:53 PM
inevitable (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EVH9PO/102-9261510-2174512?v=glance&n=228013):o
Oh, myyyyyy....that's almost as bad as a pay toilet in the diarrhea ward of the hospital!

BrianM
08-02-2006, 05:03 PM
It makes me so mad when a cashier just hands me a wad of cash and a few coins that hopefully add up to what the register told them I should get back. Unfortunately that has become the norm. I always recount it. If I am feeling like an a** hole I will drop it back on the counter and ask them to count it back. 95% of the time I do that I get a blank stare because they have no idea what I am talking about.

In high school I worked at a place that required us to count back change the right way. That will be $13.74 please. Out of $20. $.26 makes $14. $1 is $15 and $5 is $20. Thank you.

What is this world coming to

Granite_33
08-02-2006, 05:12 PM
I always say that you get out of it what you put into it.........

The school and educational system that is..........not the auto washer toilet seat bidet that WFT posted above.

My bro is a high school guidance counselor. Says he sees all kinds....too many kids who want to blame the system for their lack of effort. Too many boys who want to act like gangbangers, too many girls who want to wander around and act like Paris Hilton. He tries to warn them.

On the other hand, he counseled a Japanese girl who moved to the US with her family and started school. Very, very limited english. (If a US kid were put in that situation he / she would not be held accountable for bad grades, etc and most likely would be pitied as a victim of something unfair) The Japanese girl was speaking conversational english within 3 months. Top 10 in the class by the end of the year.

Sadly, there was an article recently about an inner city school (surprise) where the kids who actually got good grades were ridiculed by their classmates.......ahhhh the pressure to look stupid....where was that when I was growing up?

trickskier
08-02-2006, 05:18 PM
Why didn't you offer to help #1?

LakePirate
08-02-2006, 05:18 PM
Adults are not any better.

At the coffee shop down the road they have a trivia question and you get $.10 off if you can answer the question.

The question: What number president is W?

Answer 43rd.

The cashier tells me that I am the first one to get it all day, a lot of people were close but I was the only one to get it. It was like 9:45 a.m.

Leroy
08-02-2006, 05:43 PM
I've had many debates with a friend on why our school system works so well for Asian's and not for other minorities.......and non-minorities.....

Thrall
08-03-2006, 10:34 AM
There's a Mc D's near the jobsite that i frequent more often than necessary. Probably 50% of the time I get undercharged for my meal "large sized". About 1 out of 5 times I get overcharged for the same thing. I'm inclined to b!tch when I get overcharged, but considering my history there, I'm still money ahead.
Note, no calculations involved. There's a separate key for each type of food item and combo on the register. Imagine if they had to deal w/ numbers and mathematics!

Prime example, my sister's dead beat boyfriend/father of 2 (their kids).
He's been mostly unemployed since they met 3-4 yrs ago. Now w/ 2 little ones, sis is working 50 hrs a week and supporting 4 people.
Offered him a job, full time, $15/hr +ot, health insurance, essentially as many hrs as he could work for 3-1/2 yrs straight. He would've been taking home $600+ per week consistently. Easily 2x what he has ever made before. He DECLINED. Too much work!

JimN
08-03-2006, 10:45 AM
Leroy- the school system doesn't work for Asians, they work hard for the grades. The kids here who don't make it think they should either get a pass or it'll be done for them. Too busy trying to be cool or they think they'll be the next Michael Jordan. Unless their grades are too bad and then it's on to a life of crime.

This is obviously not the case for the smart kids who get it.

American kids- wallowing in their own crapulence for fifty years.

ski_king
08-03-2006, 11:12 AM
I was surprised when my 15 year old came home from her first day of work as a hostess at a local restaurant to hear she ran the cash register after 5 minutes of instruction.

It seems their computer system makes it too simple. All she has to do is scan the bar code on the bill and run the credit card or count out the change.

When this restaurant has a problem with the computer system, they are shut down,. They can’t even get the order from the waitress to the kitchen………

#47of100TeamMC
08-03-2006, 11:16 AM
It also floor's me, when you check out and your due back 24 cents. So you dig into your pocket and grab a penny to make it 25cents so you can get 1 quarter back, instead of filling your pocket with two dimes and 4 pennies. And as you hand the penny over, you get this blank stare... um.... "what's that for"?

SkiDog
08-03-2006, 12:24 PM
Our local Hardees opens at 5:30am every morning with their employees coming in at 4:30am. At 6:45am, I stopped to get coffee and a biscuit with some of my breakfast buddies and Hardees was closed due to "Technical Difficulties". Went across the street to the local "Greasy Spoon" and got breakfast and some of my buddies were there! Nobody knew what was going on at Hardees, so I started home, I saw Hardees was open and some of my other buddies were there, so I stopped to find out what happened. And I asked and was told, "YOU AIN'T GONNA BELIEVE THIS"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
When the Hardees employees came to work, the computer system that helps run the cash registers was down. The manager found out that NO ONE on her staff, including herself, had the math skills to add up orders, calculate discounts, taxes, etc., etc. and no one had a calculator. So at 5:00am, she sent one of the girls that runs a cash register to Wal-Mart, 8 miles away, with $10 and told her to get 2 calculators. She was gone 2 hours, because she said she couldn't find any, till she asked a "May I Help You" and was told they were in the "Electronics Section" and were $6.49 each, so she got 1, because she had no money on her or a credit card to buy a second. Hardees opened at 7:15am and when I stopped by at 7:45am, there was a line 20 people long, because the 1 person who said they knew how to operate a calculator was having trouble doing so!
Apparently this is our Educational System at work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

And my question to you is, Why in the hell are you going to Hardee's for breakfast in the first place?!?!?!?!?

milkmania
08-03-2006, 12:35 PM

you mean........

you have multiple buddies:(

TMCNo1
08-03-2006, 02:48 PM
And my question to you is, Why in the hell are you going to Hardee's for breakfast in the first place?!?!?!?!?

The "Greasy Spoon" went up on their prices 20% across the menu and the owner, said, "that if anybody didn't like it, they could go someplace else", so most of us did! They go up on prices 20% and I cut back on my business with them 80% that is a wash, isn't it, 20% + 80% = 100% !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1 Saugage and egg biscuit + coffee at Greasy Spoon = $4.58 + tip
2 Sausage and egg biscuits + coffee at Hardees, w/coupon = $2.48, no tip.
You do the math!

ski_king
08-03-2006, 02:52 PM
The "Greasy Spoon" went up on their prices 20% across the menu and the owner, said, "that if anybody didn't like it, they could go someplace else", so most of us did! They go up on prices 20% and I cut back on my business with them 80% that is a wash, isn't it, 20% + 80% = 100% !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1 Saugage and egg biscuit + coffee at Greasy Spoon = $4.58 + tip
2 Sausage and egg biscuits + coffee at Hardees, w/coupon = $2.48, no tip.
You do the math!
The money you save will by a lot of teak oil.

TMCNo1
08-03-2006, 03:01 PM
you mean........

you have multiple buddies:(

Kinda like on here, we have a "Table of Knowledge" at both places, I have to contribute. There are trades of all kinds at both and a lot of business networking is done over coffee. I have seen a house plan drawn on a table napkin and $400,000 and 9 mos later it was built. Realtor, grading contractor, concrete, framing, electrical, plumbing, roofing, flooring, paint and landscaping at the table over 2.5 hours.
I do buy a lot of breakfasts, cause I hate to eat by myself with all my friends!

TMCNo1
08-03-2006, 03:12 PM
The money you save will by a lot of teak oil.

You got that right!:uglyhamme

chudson
08-03-2006, 05:01 PM
A few days ago went to Micy D's just to get an Iced Tea and had my change counted back to me in Spanish. Good thing it was less than ten cents or I'd of lost track! Know that I think about it here was a little girl just off the boat or from across the border what ever the case may be and she counted out my change back to me albeit was in Spanish.