PDA

View Full Version : Something eating my speedo hose?

jbfootin
08-02-2006, 10:49 AM
The hose comming off of the pitot on the back of the boat has been chewed off, and the same thing has happened to my friends MC on the other side of the lake. I keep the boat in my garage during the week and in the lake on weekends.

Has anyone else had this problem?

What could be doing this? I don't think this could happen on the trailer unless it was a large animal such as a racoon! I know I do not have one of those in the garage!

There was enough tubing to pull out this time, but next time can I couple on a new chunk or do I need to run a new hose?

bigmac
08-02-2006, 10:57 AM
The hose comming off of the pitot on the back of the boat has been chewed off, and the same thing has happened to my friends MC on the other side of the lake. I keep the boat in my garage during the week and in the lake on weekends.

Has anyone else had this problem?

What could be doing this? I don't think this could happen on the trailer unless it was a large animal such as a racoon! I know I do not have one of those in the garage!

There was enough tubing to pull out this time, but next time can I couple on a new chunk or do I need to run a new hose?
My bet would be Ondatra zibethicus.

http://www.eco-usa.net/fauna/muskrat.jpg

It's a common problem around here, especially with I/O's and pontoons. The little bastards crawl up into the I/O well and chew on cables and exhaust boots. On an inboard, they chew on pitot lines because that's all that's available.

Solution is keeping your boat enough out of the water that they can't get up there, and/or .22 caliber Muskrat-Be-Gone pellets. I do both.

jbfootin
08-02-2006, 11:47 AM
We see muskrats once in a while up there, so they were my first guess. Do they sell conectors for the pitot lines or do I need to pull in a whole new line. I was thinking of using a air line conector from my aquarium. Looks to be about the same size!

bigmac
08-02-2006, 11:55 AM
We see muskrats once in a while up there, so they were my first guess. Do they sell conectors for the pitot lines or do I need to pull in a whole new line. I was thinking of using a air line conector from my aquarium. Looks to be about the same size!
http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=5100632

jbfootin
08-02-2006, 12:19 PM
yeah...new tubing is not that expensive, but just splicing in a new piece is easier. I just have not seen connectors anywhere. Wondering if anyone has tried this.

bigmac
08-02-2006, 12:23 PM
yeah...new tubing is not that expensive, but just splicing in a new piece is easier. I just have not seen connectors anywhere. Wondering if anyone has tried this.

I'd wonder if the restriction of a hose connector would change the pressure characteristics of the tubing and affect the accuracy of the speedometer. I guess it could be re-calibrated?

Could'nt you connect the old hose to the new hose and use that to pull the new hose through?

jbfootin
08-02-2006, 04:09 PM
next time it gets chewed off I will be finding out!

pilot02
08-02-2006, 04:16 PM
You should be able to get the connectors at any auto parts store. Just look for the vacuum line and windshield washer hose splices. Use the tiny cable ties to secure the hose to them.

André
08-02-2006, 05:17 PM
I'd wonder if the restriction of a hose connector would change the pressure characteristics of the tubing and affect the accuracy of the speedometer.
No.Since air is not coming out at the speedo ,simply building up a pressure.If the splice connector is really small,it could only affect the response time...