PDA

View Full Version : Oxidation; gone for good?

87Craft
08-01-2004, 09:40 PM
I recently purchased an 87 MC PS. The red stripe was "cloudy" (oxidized). I've spent the better part of 2 days compounding and waxing the boat (3M Products). The results are good, and I'm happy. However, I was looking online and found an article that said that oxidation will probably come back within 4-6 weeks because the wax is too heavy to get into the "pores" of the oxidation. Therefore, the oxidation continues under the surface of the wax. After they tell you this, they try to sell you a product...Vertglas. Its supposed to eliminate oxidation for good. Anybody used this stuff? is it worth the money?

MarkP
08-01-2004, 10:54 PM

Cant tell you about the sales pitch but I think if you do a good job with the compound you’ll get a lot more then 5 wks

Hoff1
08-02-2004, 09:56 AM
My boat was fairly oxidized when I purchased it about 3 years ago. I used the 3M Marine Fiberglass Restorer/Wax and the 3M Ultra High Performance wax on it. I did the boat last year and redid it this year, this year using a buffer attachment on my drill. The result was very pleasing, but the oxidation does tell to return slightly as you mentioned. But, no where near the state that it was originally. If there is a product that can permanently remove this, I would soon be a customer.

mricard
08-02-2004, 11:56 AM
I owned a maroon '86 FourWinns with the same problem. Each year I'd take another stab at rubbing the thing out and applying a different wax product, the oxidation always came back. I finally found a product from someone down in Florida that I think was called Nu Glass (I'm not sure of the name, just checked the garage and don't have the container any longer). This stuff was amazing. I would best describe it as Mop 'n Glo for boats. It wipes on with a little rubber pad they provide. You do have to clean the boat well first, and you have to work in a dust free environment (I did mine on the boat hoist).

The job lasted for well over 4-5 years as I recall, and recoating was as simple as washing the boat with amonia and reapplying.

mricard
08-02-2004, 03:29 PM
Here's a link to some good discussion on this topic... http://www.sailboatowners.com/forums/pviewall.tpl?fno=442&sku=2004202180235.64&uid=F. There is a reference to the Nuglass product here, so I think I have the name right, but I can't find it at Google.

87Craft
08-02-2004, 03:49 PM
This was my first time to compound the boat. I didn't use any "technique"....i basically just went at it. Do you expect to see any color on the pad/rag your using? i've read conflicting reports. I didn't get any color (red) on my buffer/rag. Does that mean that I didn't get through the oxidation completely?

mricard
08-04-2004, 08:30 AM
Yes, I would expect to see some color transfer to the pad, you are removing gel coat as you rub out the boat.

Thrall
08-04-2004, 02:30 PM
If you're compounding and polishing w/ a buffer, you will see color come off during compounding. I don't think that a person could remove all the oxidation by hand (wax on / wax off), but if properly compounded and polished, the shine will stay on as long as you keep the boat waxed and not stored in the sunlight.

JEREMY79
08-05-2004, 08:57 AM
[COLOR=SeaGreen]as far as seeing the color on your pad, this will only happen if your stripe is not protected by a clear gel-coat. either way it should stay shiny if you keep it inside and a high quality wax on it.

budman
08-20-2004, 12:49 AM
Try Vert Glass it worked for me