PDA

View Full Version : oil capacity

cwright
08-01-2006, 08:43 PM
May be the dumbest question ever but here goes. I can not find the published oil capacity for my 351 Indmar anywhere in my manual. Did a recent oil change and assummed 5 quarts with new filter. My dip stick is showing me 1.5" of oil over the full mark, after running it and letting it sit. Any clues?

Tried to search previous threads but search engine couldn't handle the common word "oil".

TMCNo1
08-01-2006, 09:03 PM
I have a '89 351W and my owners manual says 5 qts with a filter. I drain mine hot and let it drain overnight, change the filter, add 5 qts. and after it's run the next time, mine shows over full too and it's been that way for 17 years+. I don't sweat it. Someone said on here once, that some of the 351's had the wrong dipstick in them, so that may be the case. Mine is marked where my full/normal is so I know where it is after a oil change and can compare, in later oil checkings.

G-man
08-01-2006, 09:49 PM
5 Qts. with fiter change and you'll be fine.

madison
08-01-2006, 10:59 PM
sorta same thing with my 89 prostar... oil dipstick always shows an inch above full!!
then I changed the tranny fluid the other day and the owners manual says 2 quarts..so I pumped the fluid out and added 2 quarts of fresh fluid and started the engine.. prop starts turning!! so I shut off and checked the stick and it was all the way to the top!! so I pumped out fluid until it was at the full mark.. and yes I did it when the tranny was warmed up...
strange for sure!

cwright
08-02-2006, 01:10 AM
thanks, I'll relax and let er ride. I'll make a note of the reading on my dipstick for the true "full".

BrianS
08-02-2006, 05:33 PM
Same problem on my '93 351W. I can't find the official capacity published anywhere. It drives me crazy. I change the oil when hot and let it drain until it stops dripping. I've never got more than 3 qts out of it and that includes assuming .5 qt is in the filter. It always reads full on the dipstick and doesn't burn any oil. I've verified that my dipstick is the proper one based on part #.

I just put the same amount in that I got out and make sure it reads full on the dipstick and call it good. I would feel alot better if someone told me the official capacity was 3 qts!!!

cwright
08-02-2006, 05:54 PM
Sounds risky though. What if it's five. I think they use a standard Ford dipstick and don't account for the angle of the engine. Seems silly that they don't tell us. I've never heard of of a three quart capacity on any engine. I would bump it up to a minimum of 4.5 unless someone can give us a definitive answer

BrianS
08-03-2006, 09:50 PM
I'm interested in what everyone else with the 351W does?

Do you put 5 qts in and run over full on the dipstick?

If you run at the proper level on the dipstick, how much oil does it take to reach it?

This has been bugging me for the 3 years I have had the boat, it would be nice to get a few more data points to get a feel for the best setup.

sanjuan23
08-03-2006, 09:53 PM
Drain the oil. Level the boat on the trailer. Just stick a level on the floor and check the level. I have filled the filter and then put 4.5 in the case and checked everytime. Seems to be right on the money.