PDA

View Full Version : Uh-oh...please help...throttle assembly

P-hat_in_Cincy
08-01-2006, 09:02 PM
Hey all,

I'm in an urgent situation here. Murphy is rearing his ugly head. I posted a thread just a while back about a sticky shifter. I got to thinking that it sticks whether the transmission lock-out is engaged or not. So...I took the side panel off and started looking at the shift/throttle mechanism and there appears to be an oil leak? Are these things filled with oil? If so...I might need a new one...fast!

Can you offer your knowledge?!?!?

I'm scheduled to tow to our houseboat trip in a few days!

Thanks!
Paul

P-hat_in_Cincy
08-01-2006, 10:30 PM
I might eat a little crow here, but here it goes.

I disconnected the throttle cable from the assembly and the transition became smooth. So...I started thinking...

A while back I had a nut spin off the throttle cable in the engine bay and I made a quick on the water fix. I'm thinking my adjustment was a little off and effectively lengthened the throttle cable causing a binding issue that has progressively gotten worse.

As I move the long nut (see picture) towards you in the picture, the shifting becomes easier. I still have the oil leak from the throttle/shifter assembly and my shifter cable is still melted, but it appears to operate smoothly when I adjust the long brass nut all the way forward.

My question is...what does moving the long brass nut do to the operation of the engine?

As always...thanks!

MarkP
08-01-2006, 11:37 PM
Doesn’t look anything like my setup..
Bump……………….

bigmac
08-02-2006, 06:14 AM
I might eat a little crow here, but here it goes.

I disconnected the throttle cable from the assembly and the transition became smooth. So...I started thinking...

A while back I had a nut spin off the throttle cable in the engine bay and I made a quick on the water fix. I'm thinking my adjustment was a little off and effectively lengthened the throttle cable causing a binding issue that has progressively gotten worse.

As I move the long nut (see picture) towards you in the picture, the shifting becomes easier. I still have the oil leak from the throttle/shifter assembly and my shifter cable is still melted, but it appears to operate smoothly when I adjust the long brass nut all the way forward.

My question is...what does moving the long brass nut do to the operation of the engine?

As always...thanks!

I believe that turning that nut counterclockwise effectively shortens the throttle cable, does nothing to the engine operation.

P-hat_in_Cincy
08-02-2006, 08:48 AM
I believe that turning that nut counterclockwise effectively shortens the throttle cable, does nothing to the engine operation.

If that's the case then that's my fix until the new cable comes in and I get back from the trip.

Thanks!