PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Brakes Dragging

QBhater
08-01-2006, 11:36 AM
I have a 2001 tandom axle mastercraft traier with dual disc surge brakes and they are draggin pretty bad. It looks like all 4 brakes are dragging. I pull it with a Dodge 1 ton so I cannot feel any differece will it under tow. I also don't tow it much so it felt like it always does but a little quicker in the gas gauge and notice the brake stink and brake dust all over my rims.

To get home I just spliced the reverse light/brake unlock wire to the common to disengage the brakes all together.

Is there a back off adjustment on the surge master cylinder? Or What do you think is wrong?

Thanks for your replys!!!

Workin' 4 Toys
08-01-2006, 07:23 PM
I have a 2001 tandom axle mastercraft traier with dual disc surge brakes and they are draggin pretty bad. It looks like all 4 brakes are dragging. I pull it with a Dodge 1 ton so I cannot feel any differece will it under tow. I also don't tow it much so it felt like it always does but a little quicker in the gas gauge and notice the brake stink and brake dust all over my rims.

To get home I just spliced the reverse light/brake unlock wire to the common to disengage the brakes all together.

Is there a back off adjustment on the surge master cylinder? Or What do you think is wrong?

Thanks for your replys!!!
I am going to suggest you contact your local dealer, or MYMC on this site.

CalmCraft
08-01-2006, 07:56 PM
Had the same thing on a 2002 tandem trailer. Finally caught fire(almost). Completely replaced all 4 calipers under warranty. Sight glasses buldge under heat stress. Bad deal all around.

Jerseydave
08-10-2006, 09:45 PM
I just replaced all 4 calipers and pads on my 2003 trailer. They were getting so hot the pads cracked and one of them wore right down to the squeel tab.

Now it pulls great! Alot less strain on my tow vehicle (3/4 ton suburban 6.0 liter) and stops much better too. No more brake smell or dust.
I was told the company that made the calipers had a few defective ones that would not release properly.

Do yourself a favor and replace your calipers. It made a big difference for me. Also keep your tire pressure up. I run mine at 47-48 psi and it makes it tow easier.

Ric
08-10-2006, 10:54 PM
you are not alone:o

you need to replace your calipers, the whole things, not just the pads.. apparantly I am another lucky one who got bad calipers.. when you get the new ones, you will notice a world of difference, no dragging, no screeching, no excessive heat on the wheels etc

MinnX-10
08-11-2006, 10:42 AM
Cost estimates on replacing?

Ric
08-11-2006, 12:33 PM
Cost estimates on replacing? mine went out under warranty so I dont know but I guess around 80 to 100 each for the caliper assy's

Kevinmr
08-11-2006, 02:10 PM
We just got word that bad calipers are the reason for our lock-up on the highway...will pick up trailer tomorrow from shop. Out of warranty...don't know the $ damage.

Dawg
08-11-2006, 02:43 PM
I've got the 02 tandem. Just now starting to have the first problems. Got in the other day and smelled brakes. The right rear was hot. I broke down the caliper and it has been sticking for a while. The inside pad was wore down twice as much as the outside. Will be replacing.

MinnX-10
08-11-2006, 03:10 PM
I've got the 02 tandem. Just now starting to have the first problems. Got in the other day and smelled brakes. The right rear was hot. I broke down the caliper and it has been sticking for a while. The inside pad was wore down twice as much as the outside. Will be replacing.

I am having problems in the same location on the tandem trailer as well! Don't trailer much, so trying to get things taken care of here before I need to have it done!!! (only difference is the trailer is '03)

QBhater
08-15-2006, 10:56 AM
Thanks for the replys.
Since Seafair is over and the boat up on the rack for the rest of the summer. No trailer needed till I take the boat out and drive it to its new garage for winter storage.I will be fixing them soon.

Would like to know how much the repiar (parts) will cost.

Thanks again

Workin' 4 Toys
08-15-2006, 11:00 AM
Calipers are about $100 each, pads about 30 a set if I recall..