PDA

View Full Version : Insta Slalom course?

6ballsisall
08-01-2006, 10:42 AM
WE have a Insta Slalom course we have had sitting out now for about 3 1/2 weeks. We are noticing it is getting harder and harder to keep the course straight the longer it sits in the water. We have the nylon rope instead of the stainless steel cable mainline. Could this have anything to do with it? Any tricks for keeping the course straight? We have the anchors in good muddy bottom and stretch it often. The water depth were anchors are placed is about 12-15'. Any ideas?

east tx skier
08-01-2006, 10:44 AM
What kind of anchors are you using? I've always heard of people who leave the courses in sinking things like engine blocks to attach the mainline to.

I ordered a course with a poly line as well, but don't intend to leave it in for more than a couple of days at the most.

6ballsisall
08-01-2006, 10:46 AM
What kind of anchors are you using? I've always heard of people who leave the courses in sinking things like engine blocks to attach the mainline to.

I ordered a course with a poly line as well, but don't intend to leave it in for more than a couple of days at the most.

They are 25# anchors. It worked GREAT for about the first week and since then has slowly progressed to a lesser quality state.

pilot02
08-01-2006, 10:50 AM
poly line is most likely stretching a little. I don't believe it's UV stable. Permanent courses always use stainless so that you can use engine blocks and tension it tight..

6ballsisall
08-01-2006, 10:51 AM
So is there any tricks I can do to help keep it a little straighter? It just seems like the littlest breeze will put a bow in the middle and you cant get that out of it. Frustrating as all get out!!

cwright
08-01-2006, 10:53 AM
I augmented my anchors with a five gallon bucket of rocks, or you could use an 80 pound bag of concrete. i had trouble with my anchors. the buoys will actually float the anchors and I had the whole course float away on me once. I would say use heavier anchors

6ballsisall
08-01-2006, 10:56 AM
Thanks for the info guys! I'll check into the heavier anchor situation. Our dilemna is that we really aren't "suppose" to leave this course in for the length of time we have but since no one has said anything. ;) :D
Knock on wood the Wallys and smokers haven't messed it up yet!

east tx skier
08-01-2006, 11:08 AM
People have good things to say about the 30 lb river anchors that come with the EZ slalom courses. You can order them through Bass Pro Shops. Looking forward to getting mine wet in a couple of weeks.

ski_king
08-01-2006, 11:19 AM
We have fought river current and wind on the course we had all the time. The river adapter helped with the current, but there still seemed to be a slight bow in the course most every day.

And be careful putting tension in the mainline of the course. It is possible to put in too much and collapse/bend the pipes between the boat guide.:rolleyes:

Anybody can ski thru a course that is straight. It takes a good boat driver and skier to make it thru one with a curve.

John B
08-01-2006, 11:27 AM
With my Insta-Slalom I use the square cat litter buckets full of concrete. I was told by Lisa at Insta-Slalom that if you use round buckets they will roll and not keep the main line tight.

east tx skier
08-01-2006, 11:28 AM
With my Insta-Slalom I use the square cat litter buckets full of concrete. I was told by Lisa at Insta-Slalom that if you use round buckets they will roll and not keep the main line tight.

You could put a bent piece of rebar through it before pouring your concrete for a little extra grab, too.

rodltg2
08-01-2006, 11:31 AM
i used two buckets filled with concrete only halfway so i could still pick them up. i put an eye bold in the concrete so i could easily clip a line two them. worked great...

BuoyChaser
08-01-2006, 11:35 AM
okay, here's the scoop...

1.) Nylon rope is fine, does have stretch but good to have a little stretch with wind/water current but need good anchors
2.) Anchors for semi-permanent the high quality "river anchors" like what Ed at EZ-Slalom uses then you'll be fine. For permanent application, drop 200lbs of concrete blocks (only weight 100lbs in water due to porosity of concrete) and attach an anchor line with release to attach to. Then mount two river anchors at the other end about 5' apart from one another to drop and give a pull.
3.) Anchor Line Length - Check to make sure you're at least 2-3x's the depth, check out http://www.ez-slalom.com for the exact calculation
4.) Stretch the course - With one anchor down and set on one end, drop the other anchor in with an extra line to pull on. This allows you to stretch the course with the anchor on the ground. Otherwise if you pull then drop your anchor you lose all the tension you gained. Sometimes takes 5-15minutes depending on if you kept the course tight during install or if you have wind working against you (always work with the wind pulling you)
5.) With the standard PVC in the water, going to get buoy sag. A couple ways to fix that, put copper pipe insulation inside the PVC helps or attach a buoy. Also call Ed at EZ-Slalom, he's got a great fix that works better for a more permanent install using PVC capped to make an air chamber

hmmmm, think i got it all...

jimmer2880
08-01-2006, 05:58 PM
okay, here's the scoop...

.......5.) With the standard PVC in the water, going to get buoy sag. A couple ways to fix that, put copper pipe insulation inside the PVC helps or attach a buoy. Also call Ed at EZ-Slalom, he's got a great fix that works better for a more permanent install using PVC capped to make an air chamber

hmmmm, think i got it all...

Great info. What is "bouy Sag"?

A friend of mine has an insta-slalom in our river, but the turn balls are always 2-3 feel down-river of the drives. Is there some kind of update we can do to stop that?

BuoyChaser
08-01-2006, 10:10 PM

A friend of mine has an insta-slalom in our river, but the turn balls are always 2-3 feel down-river of the drives. Is there some kind of update we can do to stop that?
there is a river adapter kit, check that out...

as for buoy sag, it is actually PVC SAG, because PVC becomes saturated and starts to dip in the center...need to add flotation to the arm, otherwise your buoys tend to be short...

6ballsisall
08-01-2006, 10:31 PM
Thanks for the advice guys! We got out there this evening and same problem, bow in the middle! :mad: After lots of tugging on both ends to get it to tighten up and still no luck, I took at two 8# mushroom anchors I had in the boat and tossed them on one end and went to the other to stretch. It did quite a bit of good in straightening it up. Two more 25# anchors are going in the course tommorrow evening to add some strength to the setup. :cool:

BuoyChaser
08-01-2006, 10:38 PM
Thanks for the advice guys! We got out there this evening and same problem, bow in the middle! :mad: After lots of tugging on both ends to get it to tighten up and still no luck, I took at two 8# mushroom anchors I had in the boat and tossed them on one end and went to the other to stretch. It did quite a bit of good in straightening it up. Two more 25# anchors are going in the course tommorrow evening to add some strength to the setup. :cool:
how long are your anchor lines (from slalom gate to anchor) and what is the depth of your water???

6ballsisall
08-01-2006, 10:40 PM
how long are your anchor lines (from slalom gate to anchor) and what is the depth of your water???

Don't know on the length, whatever came from Instaslalom I am sure is what we have.
As for depth, we checked that out tonight. One end, the end without the buoy for stretching is in 20' of water now. the other end with the buoy is in 12' of water. We have pulled the course down some, which actually works out nicely as before we had a pretty short setup on one end.

BuoyChaser
08-01-2006, 10:47 PM
all you need to know from the master http://ez-slalom.com/ez-slalom-faq.asp

BuoyChaser
08-01-2006, 10:50 PM
Don't know on the length, whatever came from Instaslalom I am sure is what we have.
As for depth, we checked that out tonight. One end, the end without the buoy for stretching is in 20' of water now. the other end with the buoy is in 12' of water. We have pulled the course down some, which actually works out nicely as before we had a pretty short setup on one end.
here's the deal for anchor line, use 5/16" nylon anchor rope (5 times depth) so that means on your 20' end you need 100' of line and on your 12' end you need 60' of line so that it is pulling it taut over a longer area...what happens is you're not getting your course pulled tight...

jmac197
08-01-2006, 10:56 PM

We built our own "river adapter" by using non-streching parachute cord and ran it from the eye bolt holding the turn bouy to the end of the diamond at the next closest boat gate. You could also tie them to one of the eye bolt that holds the boat gate.

We prevent the "bout sag" by installing turn bouys for a mini course. We have found the mini course a great asset for those just learning. There's a huge sense of accomplishment when the developing skiers get six!!! By the way the developing skiers age from 9, my daughter, to ...well my wife.

Later
Jim

6ballsisall
08-01-2006, 10:58 PM
Thanks for the info Buoy!!

jimmer2880
08-01-2006, 11:46 PM
We built our own "river adapter" by using non-streching parachute cord and ran it from the eye bolt holding the turn bouy to the end of the diamond at the next closest boat gate. You could also tie them to one of the eye bolt that holds the boat gate.

We prevent the "bout sag" by installing turn bouys for a mini course. We have found the mini course a great asset for those just learning. There's a huge sense of accomplishment when the developing skiers get six!!! By the way the developing skiers age from 9, my daughter, to ...well my wife.

Later
Jim

thanks for the great info. That is about what I was thinking about doing, but that seems to be a lot of rope.

BuoyChaser
08-30-2006, 09:33 AM
portable slalom course on eBay for $300 in Missouri, only 4hrs left http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=009&item=190024068965&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

6ballsisall
08-30-2006, 04:57 PM
FWIW as an update from my problem we put an additional 25 lbs anchor on each end (each side now has 50lbs.) of weight and it definetely solved the problem. The course is straight as an arrow now. Thanks all for your advice!!

Upper Michigan Prostar190
08-30-2006, 05:48 PM
FWIW as an update from my problem we put an additional 25 lbs anchor on each end (each side now has 50lbs.) of weight and it definetely solved the problem. The course is straight as an arrow now. Thanks all for your advice!!
Did you get a group buy on anchors JR?:rolleyes:

erkoehler
08-30-2006, 06:23 PM
Jeff, we should plan on bringing extra anchors for the slalom course at Mag Mania.

6ballsisall
08-30-2006, 06:39 PM

Oh sorry, forgot to give you the PR on that one.......Yep sure did! Thanks for setting that one up too!! ;)

6ballsisall
08-30-2006, 06:40 PM
Jeff, we should plan on bringing extra anchors for the slalom course at Mag Mania.

And Rope..........

erkoehler
08-30-2006, 06:41 PM
And Rope..........

yes............:)

6ballsisall
08-30-2006, 06:42 PM

How many PM"s you got so far on that Prop group buy UMP? I hope it takes off for ya! :D

Upper Michigan Prostar190
08-30-2006, 06:59 PM
I am getting enough PM's Jr. :mad: The bad part is people dont know your joking and they think this is real, then they feel all embarrassed when I explain the truth to them that this is a hoax. they apologize for wasting my time and PMing me.

6ballsisall
08-30-2006, 07:02 PM
Glad I could help you fill the Group Buy qty. UMP.

Hey I never heard back, can you get one for a Bayliner??:confused: