PDA

View Full Version : Running engine at 3000rpm without load?

peterb
08-01-2006, 10:03 AM
I am having some issues with my 86 and possible fuel (see other post "86 stalling at 3000rpm").

For testing purposes, I have used a hose, fake-a-lake and such while on a trailer. I usually don't run it much above an idle in this situation.

Now that I am having an "at speed" issue and it is such a bear to "look" into a carb while bouncing down a lake at 30mph... it bears a question:

Is it ok to run an engine at 3000rpm or higher using the neutral safety pull out switch while on a trailer or sitting at the dock... basically, with no "load" on the engine because the trans/prop isn't spinning? I know the hose may not supply enough water to the intake but sitting at the dock should if I am not mistaken. Just not sure if it is ok on the engine itself at this point.

We are leaving for vacation in just over a week and I have been fighting this engine for a month now... all the while be nickled and dimed.

Any timely help would be appreciated.

6ballsisall
08-01-2006, 10:05 AM
It can be done but not great for any engine to run at higher speeds without a load. Make sure you give her as much water as possible. Ditch the fake a lake and remove the hose from the thru hull fitting and attach the hose there. It will give you more useable waterflow. Good luck with the carb adjusting!

peterb
08-01-2006, 10:17 AM
With checking for starving or flooding of fuel, would running with or without a load make a difference in anyones opinion? I mean, if I get it to fail on the lake around 3000-3500 rpm pretty religiously, that same rpm at the dock without a load, should it also fail?

Brn85ss
08-01-2006, 10:34 AM
I would never run at that rpm for a sustained amout of time with out a load on the engine.If your looking down the carb the secondaries won't open without a load on the engine anyway.I would also check your timing and make sure it's advancing.The springs tend to break.If your making it to 3500 rpm I would bet it's not a timing advance issue.I would also check fuel pressure and make sure the fuel pick up in the tank is not clogged.There is a screen built into the pickup in the tank if it becomes clogged you may have fuel starvation issues only at high rpm.

6ballsisall
08-01-2006, 10:36 AM
With checking for starving or flooding of fuel, would running with or without a load make a difference in anyones opinion? I mean, if I get it to fail on the lake around 3000-3500 rpm pretty religiously, that same rpm at the dock without a load, should it also fail?

Yep it will make a difference. You probably won't be able to get the secondaries to open without a load unless you force them open.

ddenuyl
08-01-2006, 10:38 AM
I'd call the guys at discount inboard marine (http://www.skidim.com/). They are very knowlegeable and helpful. Gave me the advice & parts to completly rebuild & tune the carb on my '87 190.

They also have a forum for support & help.