PDA

View Full Version : liquid in oil

cloisel
08-01-2006, 08:39 AM
Hi all,

After installation of Orca half-closed cooling system in my sportstar 2000 (Predator engine) 2 years ago, I noticed regularly through the seasons a slight loss of coolant. Yesterday I checked oil dipstick and level was above the high mark, so I decided to drain some oil. After draining half a liter of oil to get back the oil level in the middle of the range, I found 2 dissociated phases in what I drained: 1/3rd of a yellowish liquid (in the bottom of my draining bottle) and 2/3rd of brown oil (in the top of my draining bottle).
I am a bit anxious that some coolant went through the oil (although i do not have a milky oil mixture).
Where could the leak come from? What are possible sequence tests I can do to try to localise the origin of the problem?
Thanks for helping a French Mastercraft lover,
Clement

jimmer2880
08-01-2006, 05:45 PM
sorry - I have nothing.

- bump!

slink976
08-01-2006, 05:53 PM
Errrrrrrr I don't want to even say this....

Sounds like a case crack :(

bigmac
08-01-2006, 06:22 PM
Head gasket?

Leroy
08-01-2006, 06:28 PM
What engine do you have in your Renault?

I'm with ERK, doesn't sound good. The Orca half closed system sounds pretty neat. Did you have high enough level of antifreeze in the closed half? Did you drain the open half?

Unless you are pretty mechanical I would say time for the mechanic.

cloisel
08-02-2006, 04:00 AM
The thing is that I added more coolant in the system than I actually found in the oil (around 1/8th of a quart).
Is it possible that it is just a head gasket rather than a cylinder gasket? Is it something somebody mechanically handy can project to do?
Thanks for you rhelp,
Regards,
Clement

dchatagnon
08-02-2006, 05:34 AM
Salut Clement,

I agree with the other guys. It looks like a cracked head gasket. (joint de culasse in French) Did you check also your 2 exhausts?
When you are running the boat, did you notice some white smoke coming from the exhaust when pulling some one. I had a cylinder head cracked and every hole shot I could notice some white smoke...

It's not so hard to change an head gasket or a cylinder head.

A bientôt,
Damien

bigmac
08-02-2006, 05:47 AM
Salut Clement,

I agree with the other guys. It looks like a cracked head gasket. (joint de culasse in French) Did you check also your 2 exhausts?
When you are running the boat, did you notice some white smoke coming from the exhaust when pulling some one. I had a cylinder head cracked and every hole shot I could notice some white smoke...

It's not so hard to change an head gasket or a cylinder head.

A bientôt,
Damien

If water from the cooling system gets into the combustion chamber, it will make steam, and that steam will be especially white if that water contains anti-freeze. Coolant can leak like that from a cracked head, cracked block, or bad head gasket

cloisel
08-03-2006, 03:35 AM
Thanks for your advices
I will pay closer attention to the exhaust during next outing, and will try to trace the coolant leak. The thing is that I do not have milky oil therefore I am not sure about a cracked head gasket.
I plan on dismantling inlet manifolds next winter to replace the gaskets anyway.
Can you please explain me a little bit more how difficult it is to replace head gaskets and also what is the difference between head gasket and cylinder gasket?
Thanks,
Clement

wesgardner
08-03-2006, 09:09 AM
I think water or coolant CAN get across to the exhaust side of your engine (via a blown head gasket) without necessarily getting into the oil