PDA

View Full Version : Strainer on 197 w/ MCX- install location?

bdecker
07-31-2006, 09:50 PM
I've just received my Sherwood strainer from Discount Inboard marine to prevent weeds, etc from working their way into the engine. I'm most concerned about carrying some of the nasty milfoil weeds with me, so as strainer and regular flushing seem to be a good add-on, along with thorough boat and trailer washing.

So, it looks extremely straight-forward to install, I was thinking of having the top of the strainer just below the bracket for the alternator, with 90 degree hose barbs on both ends. It looks like this location will give it a level mount, and overall ease of install, and access to the bowl for cleaning.

However- Before I start cutting hoses, has anyone else done this on their 197? Where did you put it? If you had it to do over, would you do it differently? Pictures would be awesome if you've got them.

Also, I read something about wire cutters being needed to get through this hose in another thread. Is true? A good sharp razor won't do it?

ntidsl
08-01-2006, 08:23 AM
any chance you could post pictures as you do this???

bdecker
08-02-2006, 09:48 PM
No problem. This project probably won't happen until this weekend at the earliest. Right after a week of running on a weedy pond... so I'll be checking the transmission cooler and flushing the engine first anyway.

BuoyChaser
08-02-2006, 10:34 PM
Also, I read something about wire cutters being needed to get through this hose in another thread. Is true? A good sharp razor won't do it?
my i replaced the hoses in my 85, a hacksaw worked best...the rubber hose has a metal wire that runs through it...you can't cut the metal with a knife and is tough to get a clean cut with wire cutters...