PDA

View Full Version : Fish finders again

DanC
11-04-2004, 12:02 PM
Well I haven't given up on the idea of using a fish finder to scout out unknown or changing waters for their bottom contours.

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=124&highlight=fish+finder

Humminbird used to sell a couple of different 3D models around $300. They used multiple transducers (six in this model) and combined their return to get the model of the bottom. But nobody seems to sell these types anymore. Anybody know why?

dsoby
11-04-2004, 12:40 PM
Not to change the subject here but could a fish finder be used to find sub-bouys on a slalom course? Thinking of setting a course of subs on a public lake about 3 ft under the surface and just attaching the surface bouys when we ski. The main problem is being able to find the subs. The water is a little cloudy in the summer. Might a fish finder solve this problem?

ski_king
11-04-2004, 01:01 PM
I know someone who had a 3-D finder and claimed it never did work exactly right. My guess the multiple transducers can be tough to get set up correctly.

Using a cheap ($99) GPS may work better and cheaper way of finding sub bouys. Just remember to write down your coordinates.

DanC
11-04-2004, 01:55 PM
The multiple transducers are contained in one hockey puck so there is no "set up". I also heard that fishermen would turn off the 3D mode. I am wondering if it was because of poor fish finding characteristics or something else? All I want to find is the bottom.

The fish finder might be able to find sub buoys. Fish finders work on the principle of reflections off of density change boundaries. So fish finders actually find the fish's air bladder, not the solid fish meat. If your sub-bouys are air filled, no problem. If your sub-buoys are solid, it might still work with some playing with the sensitivity adjustments. I have no experience with the newer models. On the other hand, if the buoys are only three feet underwater, you will need to drive almost right over them to see them (see the previous thread for a review of the geometry).

H20skeefreek
11-04-2004, 02:35 PM
Well I haven't given up on the idea of using a fish finder to scout out unknown or changing waters for their bottom contours.

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=124&highlight=fish+finder

Humminbird used to sell a couple of different 3D models around $300. They used multiple transducers (six in this model) and combined their return to get the model of the bottom. But nobody seems to sell these types anymore. Anybody know why?

they stopped selling them because the suck. fishfinders tend to "make shyt up". to get an accurate 3d picture of the bottom, you'd need something way more costly than 300bucks.

dsoby,

i'd go with the GPS method mentioned by Powerslot. you can mark a waypoint for each sub, but it'll only return you w/i 9 feet, so you'll still have to search a little.

if you try the fishfinder, you'll want to sink them more than 3 ft, b/c you will have to go directly over to see it, the further down it is, it'll be easier to find with the FF. and less chance you'll hit it. Most FF don't work in less than 3ft of water, so it might not even show anything if you are directly over it.

east tx skier
11-04-2004, 03:15 PM
That was my thought on the GPS (or should I say my experience). Only accurate to about 12 feet or so. You'll need a dive mask and possibly a dive light to find the subs (at least I did last week).

dsoby
11-04-2004, 05:02 PM
I've tried the GPS route. It isn't accurate enough for me to find them easily. Maybe I could put some sort of object on the bottom under the subs. The lake is between 7 and 20 feet deep. Is there a good fish finder that DOESN'T require a permanent installation?

mgurley
11-04-2004, 05:41 PM
Try Cabelas they have several "portable models".

www.cabelas.com

lakes Rick
11-04-2004, 09:44 PM
I coulda used one of these when I was younger.....

H20skeefreek
11-05-2004, 10:20 AM
Humminbird makes their piranha series in a portable. and both Garmin and Lowrance have kits to make thier units portable.