PDA

View Full Version : Strainer on 197 w/ MCX- install location?

bdecker
07-31-2006, 10:49 PM
I've just received my Sherwood strainer from Discount Inboard marine to prevent weeds, etc from working their way into the engine. I'm most concerned about carrying some of the nasty milfoil weeds with me, so as strainer and regular flushing seem to be a good add-on, along with thorough boat and trailer washing.

So, it looks extremely straight-forward to install, I was thinking of having the top of the strainer just below the bracket for the alternator, with 90 degree hose barbs on both ends. It looks like this location will give it a level mount, and overall ease of install, and access to the bowl for cleaning.

However- Before I start cutting hoses, has anyone else done this on their 197? Where did you put it? If you had it to do over, would you do it differently? Pictures would be awesome if you've got them.

Also, I read something about wire cutters being needed to get through this hose in another thread. Is true? A good sharp razor won't do it?

WTRSK1R
07-31-2006, 11:00 PM
The hose is reinforced with a wire that runs around the circumference of the hose. You can cut everything but the wire with a razor and then you will need to cut the wire seperately. Another alternative is to use a hack saw to cut both the wire and the hose at the same time. I had to do this when installing the heater in my last boat since it had the Y pipe from heatercraft for the return. This return line gets installed on the intake side of the raw water pump so that the there is a constant draw through the heater core even at idle.

east tx skier
07-31-2006, 11:26 PM
Different boat, but when I did mine, there was no room to work with a hack saw. Swiss army knife made short work of that hose (except for the wire). Measure four times, cut twice. And whatever you measure, leave yourself some hose to work with, i.e., cut out less than you think you need to. At least for me, it was a pain to find the hose locally (had to drive to Dallas unless I wanted to wait on shipping). My local dealer uses 1" rather than 1.25".

Farmer Ted
08-01-2006, 12:06 AM
if I were doing it on my boat,

1. I'd remove the two hose clamps that secure the hose to the inlet on the bottom of the boat

2. Remove the other hose clamp that holds that hose to the Transmission cooler and take the hose to a nice work bench and cut it with a hacksaw and maybe remove enough hose to compensate for the length of the strainer

3. clamp the now two hoses to the strainer

4. install the assembly to the transmission cooler secure the one hose clamp then attach the hose to the water inlet on the bottom of the boat with the remaining two hose clamps

but I'm no rocket scientist......

there'd also be alot of a. steps

1a. run to Sears to get tool

2a. run to Brookshires for beer

3a. run inside and double check the Sherwood Webpage to make sure I'm not forgetting something

4a. check Team Talk (incase JimN or EngineNut posted anything regarding said installation)

east tx skier
08-01-2006, 12:34 AM
Another thing, soap up those hose sections really well. Those barbs don't go on very easily. With the straight end, we put one end on the floor and leaned on it to get it to set.

BuoyChaser
08-02-2006, 11:39 PM
somehow duplicate posts going...

to add to what Tex said, soap is great but even better fill up a thermos with hot boiling water then dip the hose end in the water, then the barb will slide right in!!!

do a search on "sherwood" and you'll find some pics...

pflcjl
08-15-2006, 08:19 AM
would love to see some pictures of your strainer install on your 197

BuoyChaser
08-15-2006, 09:23 AM
bdecker, did you get this on???