PDA

View Full Version : Thank gawd for lifevests!

6ballsisall
07-31-2006, 09:49 PM
Skiing the course tonight and feely a little cocky after many succesful passes I finally ate Sh^^ hard core! :mad: Dude my ribs are freakin killin me!!! I couldn't breath for about 5 minutes afterwards and coughing or laughing is most definetely out of the question for now. I think without a decent vest I probably would have some broken ribs right now. :( Just popped 3 advil and opening up the Makers Mark now. Gotta be better for tommorrow mornings set at 6:30.

sanjuan23
07-31-2006, 09:53 PM
Good Luck I hope those ribs feel better tomorrow!

ski_king
07-31-2006, 09:55 PM
Did you hit the ski or just the water?

Something tells me you will still be hurtin in the morning.

6ballsisall
07-31-2006, 09:57 PM
Good Luck I hope those ribs feel better tomorrow!

Thanks me too! I have a 6:45 date with a 53 rope and I don't want to miss it!

6ballsisall
07-31-2006, 09:58 PM
Did you hit the ski or just the water?

Something tells me you will still be hurtin in the morning.

Just the water. Managed to do 3 cartwheels. Funny thing is it happened on my on side. I've never gone OTF on my on side before. One positive is I am REALLY liking these Jagerwatersports hard shells. They released flawlessly.

Footin
07-31-2006, 10:06 PM
Hope you feel better Jeff.

erkoehler
07-31-2006, 10:06 PM
Nice move Jeff, hope you feel better in the morning.

Mag_Red
07-31-2006, 10:23 PM
:eek: Maybe I should have come this evening. Glad you're OK Jeff!:headbang:

Hoosier Bob
07-31-2006, 10:27 PM
You may want to start drinking as a precaution instead of a remedy! I wipeout all the time and do not feel a thing!;)
Ps the legal vest probably work but mine do not! Black wife beater (black tank top!)is about it!

André
07-31-2006, 10:37 PM
Hey Jeff,i feel for you...

Want to hear a good joke???:D

love2fly
07-31-2006, 10:41 PM
What life vest did you have on??

Farmer Ted
07-31-2006, 10:44 PM
make sure you didn't knock a rib out of place

did that two years ago and finally got it fixed after getting an x-ray due to chronic back pain

east tx skier
07-31-2006, 10:51 PM
Jeff, I pulled back to back cartwheels OTF two weeks ago. Both offside though. The onside ones hurt. I've thanked my EVA foam vest on many ocassions for my keeping my ribs intact. Get better.

6ballsisall
07-31-2006, 10:56 PM
What life vest did you have on??

Jet Pilot side entry vest. VERY GLAD I have it now. I have used a non CG approved vest for several years but upgraded to this at the beginning of the season. Definetely glad to have the padding.

6ballsisall
07-31-2006, 10:58 PM
make sure you didn't knock a rib out of place

did that two years ago and finally got it fixed after getting an x-ray due to chronic back pain

Is there anything I should be looking for? I did spit up a little blood ( small amount) just now.

6ballsisall
07-31-2006, 11:08 PM
Want to hear a good joke???:D

No laughing for me Andre! Unless you wait until I finish a few more Heinekens :D

Farmer Ted
07-31-2006, 11:10 PM
Is there anything I should be looking for? I did spit up a little blood ( small amount) just now.

when I banged my rib up, it hurt on the front of my chest and basically the same spot on my back

since it was the beginning of a 4 day and I was at Lake Greeson,,,,,so Dr. Wildman ordered me on a Miller Lite IV......

got home and went to the Dr and he said the rib wasn't broken and he referenced the fact that it didn't feel like Rice Krispies. Do your ribs feel like Rice Krispies?

The pain was pretty bad for about three weeks, laughing, couching, sneezing etc were almost a tear jerker. Then after that it was more like an ache that took three months to go away.

fastforwad two years and I had a back ache that I couldn't shake, I had this bear of a dude pop my back at work and you could hear it from across the room, finally went to the Dr and got set up with a Chiropractor. He took a bunch of X-Rays and told me I had a rib out of place.

Got bent and twisted, shocked, rolled and kneaded and all seems to be good. I need to go back, just for the shock massage and spinal massage, it doesn't hurt that his office girl is easy on the eyes......

If you spit up blood it might be a good idea to go see the Doc just for peace of mind....

6ballsisall
07-31-2006, 11:14 PM
when I banged my rib up, it hurt on the front of my chest and basically the same spot on my back

since it was the beginning of a 4 day and I was at Lake Greeson,,,,,so Dr. Wildman ordered me on a Miller Lite IV......

got home and went to the Dr and he said the rib wasn't broken and he referenced the fact that it didn't feel like Rice Krispies. Do your ribs feel like Rice Krispies?

The pain was pretty bad for about three weeks, laughing, couching, sneezing etc were almost a tear jerker. Then after that it was more like an ache that took three months to go away.

fastforwad two years and I had a back ache that I couldn't shake, I had this bear of a dude pop my back at work and you could hear it from across the room, finally went to the Dr and got set up with a Chiropractor. He took a bunch of X-Rays and told me I had a rib out of place.

Got bent and twisted, shocked, rolled and kneaded and all seems to be good. I need to go back, just for the shock massage and spinal massage, it doesn't hurt that his office girl is easy on the eyes......

If you spit up blood it might be a good idea to go see the Doc just for peace of mind....

No rice krispie ribs but it hurt like a mo-fo when I checked it just now!!
Think I'll go see the doc tommorrow.

east tx skier
07-31-2006, 11:23 PM
Jet Pilot side entry vest. VERY GLAD I have it now. I have used a non CG approved vest for several years but upgraded to this at the beginning of the season. Definetely glad to have the padding.

Jeff, I'm no expert, but sometimes, as I've been made to understand it, the padding can be what knocks your ribs around. At least that's what I thought one of the advantages of the non CGA vests was. Mine is more like armor than a cushion. Which Jet Pilot vest do you have.

6ballsisall
07-31-2006, 11:25 PM
Jeff, I'm no expert, but sometimes, as I've been made to understand it, the padding can be what knocks your ribs around. At least that's what I thought one of the advantages of the non CGA vests was. Mine is more like armor than a cushion. Which Jet Pilot vest do you have.

You might be right Easty! I must have already had to much to drink, I have no clue what EVA foam is 8p

Upper Michigan Prostar190
07-31-2006, 11:26 PM
Dont mess around JR, go see the Doc. Get it checked man, very soon. If you did hurt somehting, he can start treatment. if not, you got a piece of mind.

While we are on this, I was gonna look into a better vest, one that has protection for rib injuries. I am ALL ears, boys. Please advise what brand/model you use. Dont mean to threadjack JR, but this looks like a good place to talk about vests!:)

Get well man! I want you in prime form at MM2.982635:D

Hoosier Bob
07-31-2006, 11:31 PM
May not be in B-ville until Wed! I am loading up on pain killer tonight for an early run tomorrow! Give me a pm or call Jeff if you will be around.
Take care of those ribs. I have broken quite a few ribs, separated cartilage and I will tell you, you ain't gonna be ready! Does it hurt when I do this?:o

6ballsisall
07-31-2006, 11:31 PM
Get well man! I want you in prime form at MM2.982635:D

THink I could get my doc to give me enough Vicoden to get thru MM2.75? :D

Hoosier Bob
07-31-2006, 11:33 PM
You will be fine by then but stay away from GERMS! Catch a cold and you can break a few more from coughing!:( Go ahead and get the Vicoden and send it to me so I can save it for ya!;) THink I could get my doc to give me enough Vicoden to get thru MM2.75? :D

east tx skier
07-31-2006, 11:41 PM
Jrandol, an example is the top wrap on the animal or phantom boots.

UMP, I've been very happy with the HO Phantom vest. No longer produced by HO. I've had some nasty falls (one resembling what jrandol described), and have swum away with my ribs intact.

Wet Tech picked it up for a year or two ("launch"). HO is now producing a lightweight non approved vest called the corse. Were I in the market now, I'd probably give that one a try.

The Phantom will float you a bit in spite of not being USCG approved.

Old Goat
07-31-2006, 11:51 PM
Sounds similar to what I did three weeks ago. I went to see the Doc. she said I had a torn muscle in my lower rib. There are two ribs, floating she called them, on the bottom that are not connected to the rest of your rib cage. I bet you tore the muscle. It hurt like a mother for a week, then it has slowly started to feel better. Its 3 weeks later and I can finally sleep on my right side.
Hang in there.

6ballsisall
07-31-2006, 11:59 PM
Feeling good now!! Several Heineys and some Makers Mark along with a bag of ice on the ribs. Something tells me I won't feel so great tommorrow morning. :rolleyes:

Wife and daughter are in Evansville, IN with FIL til Wednesday. I am bored now :(

erkoehler
08-01-2006, 12:36 AM
Want to ski tomorrow Jeff????

Farmer Ted
08-01-2006, 12:57 AM
Feeling good now!! Several Heineys and some Makers Mark along with a bag of ice on the ribs. Something tells me I won't feel so great tommorrow morning. :rolleyes:

Wife and daughter are in Evansville, IN with FIL til Wednesday. I am bored now :(

you're going to ski tomorrow right?

use the pain to motivate yourself!

you might pickup a ball or two....:headbang:

Leroy
08-01-2006, 01:05 AM
Another wife connection to Evansville? We will have to trade stories sometime. I'm down there often.

erkoehler
08-01-2006, 01:55 AM
When is the big IN party this year? I'm going to invite myself :)

Maybe we should all go to Steveo's place and try to sell him a boat:D

6ballsisall
08-01-2006, 09:58 AM
Well didn't go out this morning. :( I crawled out of bed and about bust into tears. Went to the doc who just as Farmer Ted said, "dude, you've to two ribs out of whack!" Left there and went to the Chiro and got the alignment from hell! All better now!! :D Oh.....I did get some pain pills HB;) Think I'll go out this evening. :D

erkoehler
08-01-2006, 10:07 AM
No more complaining Jeff get to work.

6ballsisall
08-01-2006, 10:08 AM
No more complaining Jeff get to work.

Yes boss!! Whatever you say Masta:rolleyes:

08-01-2006, 10:10 AM
Good deal JR! Glad to hear your doing well!:)

Now, how bout some more recomendations on those protective vests. THat one sounds good Eastie, but if they arent making it anymore, I guess I need to keep asking. Are the NON USCG vests the only ones that provide rib protection?? I have been thinking about these for a while now. DO you need to wear a "rash gaurd" shirt with them?? please advise away! my ears are open!:)

ski_king
08-01-2006, 10:22 AM
From what I have seen, non uscg vests provide better arm movement and generally allow the wearer to be more flexable. I dont think they provide any better rib protection.

This would provide good rib protection.

08-01-2006, 10:29 AM
I want one!!!! Man will I look cool at MM2.987 with that! I want one to match my superhero outfit! DO they make it in black?8p ;)

#47of100TeamMC
08-01-2006, 10:31 AM
:D Oh.....I did get some pain pills HB;) Think I'll go out this evening. :D

Keep up on those pills, If your still taking the Advil, it is pretty much impossible to OD on advil (Ibuprofen is the same just generic) Your stomach will be upset and you'll puke them back up before you OD. you can easily take 200mg (1pill) each hour. with no problems as long as your eating normally and not starving yourself. I've taken 800mg every 3 hours when the knee really starts to hurt. I might be addicted, addicted to numbing the pain.

east tx skier
08-01-2006, 10:36 AM
Good deal JR! Glad to hear your doing well!:)

Now, how bout some more recomendations on those protective vests. THat one sounds good Eastie, but if they arent making it anymore, I guess I need to keep asking. Are the NON USCG vests the only ones that provide rib protection?? I have been thinking about these for a while now. DO you need to wear a "rash gaurd" shirt with them?? please advise away! my ears are open!:)

Check out the HO Corse. They are making that this year. Looks very similar to the Phantom, but with two straps instead of one.

No, I think you can buy approved vests that are also impact vests, but they will surely be thicker. O'Neill has produced some approved protective vests in the past.

Rash guards are great for UV protection and, of course, rash protection. They don't offer extra floatation.

08-01-2006, 10:47 AM
Yea, I meant rash protection. being in da UP, I dont need much UV protection . I always wear a wetsuit, so Maybe I dont need one. I will look at Oneil eastie.

Datdude
08-01-2006, 01:06 PM
I was driving for my co-worker last summer and he ate it HARD. His ribs still hurt on occasion and it was at least 12 months ago:eek:

6ballsisall
08-01-2006, 01:08 PM
I was driving for my co-worker last summer and he ate it HARD. His ribs still hurt on occasion and it was at least 12 months ago:eek:

Tell him to get it checked out! YOu never know what could be going on in there. I certainly couldn't "feel" that my ribs were out of whack

east tx skier
08-01-2006, 01:10 PM
Yea, I meant rash protection. being in da UP, I dont need much UV protection . I always wear a wetsuit, so Maybe I dont need one. I will look at Oneil eastie.

Look at the HO, too. The more water/weight that vest has, the more you're getting slugged with when it hits the water and the water pushes it into your ribs.

08-01-2006, 02:25 PM
OK East. I will!:D Hey, DO those NON USCG approved vests provide ANY flotation?? or are they only for body protection??:confused:

LakePirate
08-01-2006, 02:37 PM
They provide flotation. I used to know the difference but not any more.

pq2
08-01-2006, 02:50 PM
UMP this is the one I use and its very confortable. Your ribs will be safe with it.:D

pq2
08-01-2006, 02:52 PM
also looks like a super hero chest armor (thats what my nephew said):cool:

east tx skier
08-01-2006, 03:27 PM
OK East. I will!:D Hey, DO those NON USCG approved vests provide ANY flotation?? or are they only for body protection??:confused:

Yes, they provide some floatation. I don't have to tread water when I'm wearing it.

Here's the Corse

http://www.anythingxtreme.com/wsimages/v/Vst-HO-06Cr.jpg

pq2
08-01-2006, 06:02 PM
Nice ETS, i want to try one of those, because those weight less than mine.

east tx skier
08-01-2006, 06:14 PM
It's essentially the same as the phantom, but with one more strap. Very comfortable, despite how uncomfortable I look in this picture.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j262/dnortonames/13ea6129.jpg

08-01-2006, 06:24 PM
Gee Eastie, you have more hair in that photo than the others you posted.......Hmmmmmmm:confused: .....you a client??:D

MarkP
08-01-2006, 06:31 PM
Gee Eastie, you have more hair in that photo than the others you posted.......Hmmmmmmm:confused: .....you a client??:DWOW,
And Rene tells me I’m abrasive.http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/travesmilies/smilie_eimer.gif.

east tx skier
08-01-2006, 06:35 PM
Gee Eastie, you have more hair in that photo than the others you posted.......Hmmmmmmm:confused: .....you a client??:D

Nope, just needed a haircut. Don't you need to be buying a ski?

MarkP
08-01-2006, 06:40 PM
You see!!! Its comments like that, that make us new guys a little apprehensive about posting or sharing photos!:mad: !

east tx skier
08-01-2006, 06:43 PM
You see!!! Its comments like that, that make us new guys a little apprehensive about posting or sharing photos!:mad: !

Mark, I hope you stick around. We've had to talk with UMP about his attitude time and time again. ;)

roddydog
08-01-2006, 06:53 PM
It's essentially the same as the phantom, but with one more strap. Very comfortable, despite how uncomfortable I look in this picture.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j262/dnortonames/13ea6129.jpg
Wow!!! Looks like you're pullin a groin muscle in that pic......

Or yer jus' showin off;)

08-01-2006, 09:27 PM
See, I knew you were fooling Eastie! Its OK man, dont be afraid. Hey, I used to be over 300 lbs, we all have our imperfections;)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/guitarzan1972/eastienohair.jpg

08-01-2006, 09:45 PM

COme on Mark, dont be that way! We are all buds here. We wont laugh at your pics, but we might photochop them and then laugh at them. I mean laugh WITH you. yea thats it WITH you. Besides I am the newbie, not you.:D Dont worry Mark, East has definetly made enough fun of the UMP as of late. ;) Pranksters I tell ya!!!

MarkP
08-01-2006, 10:23 PM
Wow!!! Looks like you're pullin a groin muscle in that pic......

Or yer jus' showin off;)
Or giving birth!!:o

6ballsisall
08-01-2006, 10:29 PM
unthreadjack! Ski'd tonight. 2 sets. Feeling pretty good with 15' off, 22' off is coming along. Hardly any pain what so ever on the ribs! Now the hands........thats another story. Callus haven!:rolleyes:

08-02-2006, 09:32 AM
Cool JR, sounds great!:) Glad the ribs are ok dude! You are back in the driver seat! I havent skied in a week now due to bad weather/lack of drivers so I need to get out SOON! or I will end up in the looney bin!

I still like Easties new haircut!8p

sizzler
08-02-2006, 09:39 AM
PQ2...........same top as mine......very comfortable.....looks like something out of batman as well