PDA

View Full Version : HO Monza vs. System 8

Pages : [1] 2

shepherd
07-31-2006, 08:44 PM
Here it is, the ski test of the HO Monza vs. the System 8, made by an intermediate level skier. I recorded the following comments in a Word document throughout the week-long testing period. I’m going to cut and paste them into several postings on this thread. If you don’t mind, please wait until my “final impression” post is placed before cutting in so that it will flow better. I’ll also email the complete Word file to anyone who PM’s me.

Since I’m not a professional/expert skier, please forgive the lack of such terms as “soft”, “sweet spot”, and whatever other adjectives they might use in Waterski Magazine. The following is just the impressions of a guy who, before this test, was barely able to make a 15 off pass at 34 mph.

As of the date of Day 1, my most recent personal best was 4 or 5 (I don’t really know) at 22 off, 34 mph.

Test Equipment:
2005 68” HO System 8, Wiley boots days 1 and 2
2006 68” HO Monza, Approach boots days 1 and 2
Tow Vehicle: 1993 Mastercraft PS205 days 1 and 2, 1993 Ski Nautique days 3 and 4.
Water conditions: calm with slight ripple each day.
Skier: 195 lbs, right foot forward

When MYMC sent me the Monza, he gave me numbers for the fin setup he wanted me to try. They are:
Length: 6.845
Depth: 2.51
Distance from tail: 0.715
Wing: Upside down 9 degrees
For a true side-by-side comparison, I set both skis to these numbers.

What follows is a day-by-day report of my tests.

shepherd
07-31-2006, 08:46 PM
DAY 1

System 8

First ride (15 off, 32 mph) on the System 8 with the new fin settings started out tentatively, but I quickly noticed that the ski made a nice smooth carving turn, and if I was in the proper body position it took off like a rocket across the wakes. Since I was unsure of the new settings, I took it easy on the first set, though the rest of the passes were at full 34 mph. I forced myself to let the ski make the turn and not try to force it around at the balls (which is what I used to do in the past). Doing that helped a lot as the System 8 would practically drive itself around the turns. However, I noticed in my second set that I could help the ski whip around the turn a little quicker to get set up for the pull earlier, which also helped. Even then, I didn’t feel the need to “kick” the ski around to turn. As an example of the acceleration in the System 8, when I was making my 22 off pass I was late for #4 ball and missed it. But, I was able to pull hard across the wakes and make the #5 ball. I was only able to do that due to the incredible acceleration of the ski.

I should point out that the new fin setting really helped a lot. Before I used MYMC’s numbers, I was having real trouble dialing the ski in and was getting frustrated. The first set on the System 8 with the new setting felt great, evidence that fin/wing setup can be important.

Monza

First ride was very tentative (at 32 mph), and my first impression was this thing feels like a truck. I think that is mainly because the ski felt very unfamiliar, especially the Approach boots. Later in the evening, the “truck” feel turned into a “rocket” feel. On my first 32 mph pass, I only made a couple balls and signaled the driver to turn around for another pass instead of dropping me. The second pass was much better after I realized the ski wouldn’t kill me, and made the complete 15 off/32 mph pass no problem (well, I think I barely missed the #6 ball). All other passes were made at 34 mph. After I started to get used to the ski and the boots, the Monza rode very similar to the System 8: large smooth carving turns and lightning quick acceleration. After a few more runs, including a couple attempts at 22 off, it felt like the ski was accelerating a little quicker across the wakes than the System 8. More than once I found myself overshooting the ball because I wasn’t used to getting across the wakes so fast. I had to try to remember to immediately end the pull right after I crossed the second wake. I had the same problem once or twice with the System 8, but it wasn’t quite as bad. One other thing I noticed was that the Monza seemed a little less forgiving if I didn’t set up in the proper body position for the pull when I was coming out of the turn. The ski went on edge and dug in so tight that, if I wasn’t ready yet, the ski rope would almost yank me out of the boots and into the boat (of course, it didn’t, but I would break at the waist to save myself and then the pass was ruined). So I need to work on being in the proper body position at the end of each turn.

Overall impression after Day 1: I didn’t ski any better on the Monza than on the System 8. But the little bit of extra acceleration the Monza gives may be enough to surpass my best System 8 passes after I get more accustomed to the ski. We’ll see.

shepherd
07-31-2006, 08:48 PM
DAY 2

Skied three sets. This time, I switched skis during each set to get closer side-by-side comparisons. Made 15 off, 22 off and 28 off passes - or attempted passes – on each ski.

Generally, the Monza was more demanding than the System 8. If I didn’t have the right body position coming out of the turns, I would have a hard time getting a good pull and making the next ball. With the System 8, I had more chance of recovering. Also, if I didn’t dig in and get the Monza on a good edge across the wakes, it felt like it wanted to throw me over the front of the ski when I hit the first wake. There was a very noticeable hard bump when I hit the wake. I didn’t notice that in the System 8. Perhaps a fin adjustment on the Monza is called for?

That said, I found the Monza to be extremely fast when I was able to control it. The ski surprised me a couple times by taking me to the next ball so fast that I overshot it by a mile. If I got a good pull, I was across the wakes and at the next ball in a blink of an eye. Both skis were fast, but the Monza was noticeably quicker this time out. Again, this only worked if I had a good turn and got into proper position for the pull - the Monza demanded it. While the System 8 wasn’t quite as quick, it is still the second fastest ski I ever skied on and should satisfy any serious slalom skier.

I noticed, on both skis, that if I didn’t try too hard in the turns and let the ski drive itself around the balls, I would get much better turns and passes through the course. But when I got into my 28 off pass, I had to be a little more aggressive to help the ski get around quicker.

I didn’t make a complete 22 off or 28 off pass tonight, though I made 4 or 5 balls at 22 off on both skis. I made at least one attempted 28 off pass on each ski, starting with the System 8. I only got around the 1 ball and slack rope forced me to let go after that. I didn’t give the System 8 much of chance at 28 off so I better not comment on it yet. I’ll try more 28 off passes next time out.

Mike at Mastercraft of Charlotte (MYMC) told me that the Monza likes shorter line lengths. I think I found out what he meant when I tried my 28 off pass on that ski. I barely missed the 2 ball and 3 ball, got the 4 ball and 5 ball and never really got close to the 6. I had to ski more aggressively to keep the pass going and I could tell the ski loved it. Man, what a rocket!

Overall impression after Day 2: If I was a short line skier looking to get into 32 off+, I’d need the Monza. I need to give the System 8 another shot at 28 off, but right now I’m confident that it will help me achieve my short term goal of making a full 28 off pass at 34 mph. The System 8 is a hot ski. The Monza is just hotter. If I didn’t already own the System 8 and had to choose today which ski to buy, I’d probably go with the Monza with the optimistic hopes that it would help me get into some real shortline skiing. But as it is now, I could probably keep the System 8 for the next year or so to work on my 22 and 28 off passes, and when I’m ready for the next level, look into buying a Monza or whatever other ski is the hot ticket at that time.

shepherd
07-31-2006, 08:49 PM
DAY 3

I switched boots before today – put the Approaches on the System 8 so I could try the Monza with the Wileys. The Wileys were much more comfortable. I never could get accustomed to those Approach boots.

The Monza tried to kill me today.:o During my last set it threw me over the front twice in a row. Each time it happened half way through a turn. I can’t blame the ski. The skier was tired and found it difficult to keep proper body position. I called it a day.

Not much else to report for today, except that my performance on the System 8 seemed to suffer with the Approaches. Then again, I didn’t do all that great on the Monza today. Also, the hard bump at the wake I was feeling on the Monza on Day 2 was gone. I don’t know if that is because I was wearing the Wileys boots or because I was skiing behind a different boat.

I believe the Monza is the hotter ski, but not by much. The extra performance won't be very noticeable to someone of my skiing ability, especially if you're not skiing the course yet. If you honestly believe that you will be skiing through the course at 28 off or better in the next year or two, then get the Monza if you can afford it.

Overall impression after Day 3: See above. My skiing wasn’t really up to par today so I couldn’t really make a good comparison.

shepherd
07-31-2006, 08:50 PM
DAY 4

I left the Wileys on the Monza for this last time out. The ski felt great and I made a personal best of 3 balls at 28 off after making a full 22 off pass (at 34 mph). When I got it to “click”, the Monza was great, its quicker acceleration kept me from getting behind. I found that I got good passes when I was a little more aggressive. However, that was true on both skis. Maybe even more so on the System 8 because it is more forgiving and, when I get aggressive, I’m more likely to make mistakes. However, if I got aggressive and was able to keep good body position and not panic, I got better passes out of the Monza (like the PB I made tonight).

While the System 8 pretty much kept pace with the Monza on all the tests, tonight the ski had a “truck-like” feel to it. I believe this was because I had the Approach boots on it. I really noticed this tonight when I was pulling out for the gates. The ski didn’t seem like it wanted to change edges for me so I could turn and pull for the gates. But I eventually got a little accustomed to the boots after a couple passes and was able to get the ski to perform for me, but still not as well as the Monza with Wileys. I couldn’t make a full 22 off pass on the System 8 tonight. When I tried 28 off (just to see how it felt), I was again foiled by slack line as I rounded the 1 ball. This happened twice before I gave up. This was probably due to skier-fatigue more than a problem with the ski. I know the System 8 can perform. My ski partner on days 1 and 2 was able to ride both skis through 32 off and into 35 off. The only problem was the ski is too big for him (he’s lighter than me) and he’s left foot forward (the Approaches on the Monza were set up RFF).

shepherd
07-31-2006, 08:51 PM
FINAL IMPRESSION
Both the Monza and System 8 are hot skis. I noticed the Monza had noticeably quicker acceleration, probably due to its lighter weight. A couple times, the acceleration of the Monza surprised and scared me. This was after skiing the System 8 for a couple months, which is no slouch itself. Both skis allowed for smooth carving turns and, with a little more aggression, got around the ball quick enough for a nice tight and fast pull across the wakes. The System 8 seemed a little smoother around the turns and was slower to accelerate across the wakes, which I think made it a little more forgiving. I made a personal best of 3 at 28 off on the Monza which I’ll credit to the phenomenal acceleration and quick smooth turns of that ski. Can I do the same on the System 8? I think so, but it may take a little longer to get there.

Like I told UMP, if the System 8 was a Corvette, the Monza would be a Ferrari – a little quicker but a lot more expensive. The Monza is more expensive than the System 8 by at least a few hundred dollars. The real question is whether the little bit of extra performance in the Monza is worth the extra money.

I’ll end here. If you have any questions, let me know.

PS. Thanks a lot to Mike at Mastercraft of Charlotte for providing the Monza free of charge for this test (unfortunately, he wants it back! :( ). He is definitely knowledgeable about these skis, was very helpful in setting up the ski, suggesting test conditions, and confirming my impressions of the ski during our couple phone calls and PM exchanges. As many people recommended on this forum before, think of Mastercraft of Charlotte when contemplating a skiing-related purchase. I doubt you’ll find better customer service.

JohnE
07-31-2006, 09:05 PM
Shepherd, thanks for the review. If I had been more patient, I'd be ordering the Sys 8 right now. I bought an F1X 2 weeks ago. Thanks to Mike for making the comparison happen.

André
07-31-2006, 09:52 PM
Great work shep!!!
Get some rest now...;)

Tried a 05 67" Monza with O'Brien Bio last week outside the course...
Not for me and missed my first start...:rant:

6ballsisall
07-31-2006, 10:03 PM
FINAL IMPRESSION
He is definitely knowledgeable about these skis, was very helpful in setting up the ski, suggesting test conditions, and confirming my impressions of the ski during our couple phone calls and PM exchanges. As many people recommended on this forum before, think of Mastercraft of Charlotte when contemplating a skiing-related purchase. I doubt you’ll find better customer service.[/I]

TRU DAT!:headbang:

east tx skier
07-31-2006, 10:12 PM
Great review, Shepherd. Great impressions. I know how many unforeseen variables there are when you test something on the water. You really gave a great comparison.

The second pass was much better after I realized the [Monza] wouldn’t kill me

Ha! My thoughts exactly. I've never been so apprehensive about riding a ski in my life. I don't know why that was.

My impression of the Approach boots and performance was very much the opposite. For me, going from Animals, they really gave me a sense of control over the ski. That said, I'm glad you had such good experiences with the Wiley's on the Monza as my Wiley boots are being delivered tomorrow.

Again. Very thorough review. Bravo!!!

One question. All things considered, if you didn't already own one, which one would you buy?

6ballsisall
07-31-2006, 10:15 PM
Ha! My thoughts exactly. I've never been so apprehensive about riding a ski in my life. I don't know why that was.

Thats funny!! I was too! I don't know what it was, probably all the reviews about how fast a ski it is. I was nervous the first few sets on this ski. Now I enjoy it very much.

east tx skier
07-31-2006, 10:20 PM
Yeah, just so much talk about how fast it is. Boy, I love that ski.

6ballsisall
07-31-2006, 10:23 PM
Yeah, just so much talk about how fast it is. Boy, I love that ski.

Anymore I don't consider it "scary fast' though. It is quick but you get used to it.

Tryin-again
07-31-2006, 10:30 PM
Great review.....I've been waitin' on this... But if anyone has any personal experience between the Sys8 and Connally FX please talk about it..... Good job Shepherd

east tx skier
07-31-2006, 10:31 PM
Anymore I don't consider it "scary fast' though. It is quick but you get used to it.

It's my new normal.

shepherd
07-31-2006, 11:02 PM
Great review, Shepherd. Great impressions. I know how many unforeseen variables there are when you test something on the water. You really gave a great comparison.

My impression of the Approach boots and performance was very much the opposite. For me, going from Animals, they really gave me a sense of control over the ski. That said, I'm glad you had such good experiences with the Wiley's on the Monza as my Wiley boots are being delivered tomorrow.

Again. Very thorough review. Bravo!!!

One question. All things considered, if you didn't already own one, which one would you buy?

Thanks for the compliments guys! Yes, there were a lot of variables. One thing I decided not to do was tweak the fins since I felt the skis were doing pretty well with the settings MYMC gave me, plus it would have just added to the variables.

Hmmm, if I didn't already own the System 8 and money was no object, I'd definitely go with the Monza. That last 28 off run I made really sold me on it. For that matter, if money was no object, I'd just go ahead and buy the Monza and keep the System 8 for variety. ;)

shepherd
07-31-2006, 11:05 PM
Shepherd, thanks for the review. If I had been more patient, I'd be ordering the Sys 8 right now. I bought an F1X 2 weeks ago. Thanks to Mike for making the comparison happen.

John, I wouldn't knock the F1X. A friend skis an F1X and he likes it a lot. He's at about the same level I am, getting into 22 off. He offered to let me ride it but his boots are too big, plus I was too busy with the HOs.

jpattigr
08-01-2006, 01:02 AM
I bought a new Monza this spring and debated between System 8, Sixam 2 and the Monza.
Bought the Monza without skiing it and love it, went with Animals as I want to come out on my OTF's!!
:D

JohnE
08-01-2006, 06:48 AM
John, I wouldn't knock the F1X. A friend skis an F1X and he likes it a lot. He's at about the same level I am, getting into 22 off. He offered to let me ride it but his boots are too big, plus I was too busy with the HOs.
I ski'd it for the first time Sunday. Water conditions were terrible, lake busier than ever, but I needed to try it. I'd have never ski'd if I hadn't just got the new ski. It was a disaster. I felt like I couldn't turn or control the ski at all. I'm going out tonight for another shot at it. I definitely rushed things, so I'll really have a better idea tonight. Thanks for the support, Shep.

John

Upper Michigan Prostar190
08-01-2006, 08:49 AM
Awesome review Shep! :toast: Very nice work. :D I like how you address the different factors and kind of point out all the different factors invovled. I think the biggest factor being human fatigue. Its difficult to push the ski repeatedly without tiring out. and then you cant be really accurate with your results because your body is wore out and cant maintain proper position on the ski. I find that my first run of the evening isnt great, its usually gettting the cobwebs out and getting loose. My 2nd run is usually my best run, still strong, but nimble, 3rd run CAN be the best sometimes, but usually start to wear out, and the 4th run is usually just an endurance run for staying in shape, I am usually careful not to push it so I dont crash due to fatigue/poor form.

anyway, I think there is alot of people that will benefit by your work here shep. I know I will. Thank you very much for your PM's and review. This has been a very educational process!:) :toast:

Davo
08-01-2006, 10:15 AM
Great effort in this review and congrats on the PB, Shepherd. I haven't ridden too many new skis and even I could tell that the Monza is ffffast. I took two sets on it last Thursday....I also skied behind a mid-nineties ski nautique that day and was pleasantly suprised with the slalom wake.

starman205
08-01-2006, 10:41 AM
Shep, thanks for the great review. Its given me something to think about as I contemplate my next ski purchase. :wavey:

MYMC
08-01-2006, 11:28 AM
Good work Shep...great review!

LakePirate
08-01-2006, 11:42 AM
Shep, thanks for the great review. Its given me something to think about as I contemplate my next ski purchase. :wavey:

I don't think there is anything to contemplate other than where to come up with the grand.

Great Work Shep!

DooSPX
08-01-2006, 11:48 AM
great write up shepherd!

08-01-2006, 12:02 PM
I don't think there is anything to contemplate other than where to come up with the grand.

Great Work Shep!
Thats the part I am contemplating right now Lakey:o

east tx skier
08-01-2006, 12:19 PM
Pull the trigger UMP. Credit Card interest is temporary. You're only young once and you're getting older every second.

ntidsl
08-01-2006, 12:21 PM
Whats This Talk Of Scary Fast??? I Dont Understand...find Me A Way To Get Across The Wake Faster And Faster...you Aint Gonna Scare Me...as Long As It Decelerates As Fast

6ballsisall
08-01-2006, 12:21 PM
Pull the trigger UMP. Credit Card interest is temporary. You're only young once and you're getting older every second.

Spoken like a true salesman!!:D I am proud of you Easty!!:D

Now for the politically incorrect version and what Easty subliminally was saying:

"UMP!!! Pull the string out and pony up and buy the damn thing!!" :D

east tx skier
08-01-2006, 12:23 PM
Geeeeez! Coming from the guy who was too sore to ski this morning. 8p

6ballsisall
08-01-2006, 12:24 PM
Geeeeez! Coming from the guy who was too sore to ski this morning. 8p

Pain pills have kicked in and I am going out this evening!! Yahoo!:cool:

east tx skier
08-01-2006, 12:28 PM
Rock on. I'd be nursing my ribs for days.

pq2
08-01-2006, 12:29 PM
Great review Shep, you are totally right on your comments. The Monza will be happier as you ski shorter and faster. Im still learning from my ski but every day feels better. My fin needs some adjustments, and also my self. Im going to Florida for a week to ski with Arturo Nelson, hope he can help me to correct my bad ski habits and teach me more about the ski and his adjustments.

08-01-2006, 01:29 PM
I am close fellas, I am close. I need to talk to MYMC today. Its a big purchase and I have this agonizing process that I go through..... Hey, you guys know I am weird, so just smile and get a chuckle out of it! :)

pq2
08-01-2006, 04:47 PM
im just arriving from the course and I made my PB 6 22off @ 34mph
thanks HO :D

JohnE
08-01-2006, 08:14 PM
UMP, how often do you ski? If it's at least once a week, just go for the Monza! If you have to, get a part time job instead of spending the hours you spend here.:)

I'm still new here, so I hope I'm not out of line with that.

John

BTW, the F1X was much better tonight.

08-01-2006, 08:30 PM
Out of line? here? Well John, let me tell you a story about a thread called "Hey Hoosier Bob, what you drinking?":cool:

No man, your not out of line :) Its all good!

I am freaking out because I havent skied since last wednesday. Usually its 2 to 3 times a week. But this week, God hates me for some reason, and I havent been able to get out due to weather or lack of participants. :( SO I dont even know why I am thinking about a new ski or vest.....:rolleyes:

shepherd
08-01-2006, 09:41 PM
Good work Shep...great review!

Thanks Mike. I'm hooked now. Maybe your screen name should be "The Pusher" ;)

6ballsisall
08-01-2006, 10:01 PM
UMP get the Monza dude! You'll love it! I am really loving mine. My first 2 passes I was aprehensive after what happened last night. This ski can quickly build your confidence back up. Before you know it you'll be crushin it thru the course. Get one dude!!

08-01-2006, 11:12 PM
I dont know JR.....I think the inner cheapskate is getting the upper hand. :o I mean really, drop a grand for a water ski.....wow! thats a hard concept to fathom. a thousand dollars is alot of money for a ski...... I dont know man, I dont know. This may be like Erk's boat saga taht I heard about.....:o

6ballsisall
08-01-2006, 11:34 PM
I dont know JR.....I think the inner cheapskate is getting the upper hand. :o I mean really, drop a grand for a water ski.....wow! thats a hard concept to fathom. a thousand dollars is alot of money for a ski...... I dont know man, I dont know. This may be like Erk's boat saga taht I heard about.....:o
Hold on UMP before you go any farther. I need to go pour another Makers Mark. :rolleyes:
Just get it dude! I guarantee your skiing will get better with it. If you hold off you know you'll buy it as soon as you try mine at MM2.75

08-02-2006, 08:28 AM
Oh but JR, its expensive! a grand for a ski is hard to accept.

or as Chris Rock used to say "a thousand dollas? GOOD LORD das alotta Munny!:eek3: "

at this point the inner cheapskate has the inner slalom skier quivering in the fetal position in the corner of my brain. :( I told you, the inner cheapskate is TOUGH dude, TOUGH!! :o I am gonna really have to talk myself into this to make it happen. See, its been about 10 days since I skied that Monza, so the effect has worn off, and the reality is setting in. I should have struck while the mood was there and ordered one. I could buy Shep's SYS 8, but I dont think I will truly be happy with it. Shep has a basically new Sys 8, and he is buying that Monza, so that speaks volumes to me. That ski obviously skis that much better to persuade him to fork out the chang for it, and sell the sys 8.

Any other ideas?? The inner slalom skier is gonna need help.... Eastie's post about me getting older and time slipping by kinda thing makes me really think go ahead and buy it, but like I said, the inner cheapskate is one TOUGH *******!!!!

shepherd
08-02-2006, 08:57 AM
UMP, go ahead and spend the money. Unless you're living paycheck to paycheck, you won't be missing the money a couple months from now when you're enjoying your new ski. Easy for me to say, right?

As for the System 8, it is a great ski. It will do everything you'll want it to, especially since you're not even running the course yet (but that ski will definitely shred up the course too). The System 8 pretty much kept up with the Monza throughout my demo until that last day, and now I'll be wondering if that is only because I switched the bindings between the skis and had the hated (by me) Approaches on the System 8 that last day. Plus, you know you can get that System 8 a lot cheaper - less than 1/2 the price of a new Monza.

Besides, IMO my '05 System 8 is a much better looking ski than the Monza. What's up with those raised "Monza" letters on top of the ski? :confused: Now, the '06 System 8 is fugly IMO.

08-02-2006, 09:11 AM
Shep, Word up!:)

2005 Monza - Fugly
2006 Monza - Cool
2005 Sys 8 - Cool
2006 Sys 8 - Fugly
2006 Nitro - fugly
2005 - Vengeance.....Its not great looking by any means.....its just "ok"

thats my opinion. not that it matters how they look, but if I am dropping that much on a ski, I want to like EVERYTHING about it:o

I dont live paycheck to paycheck, but I aint lighting cigars off $100 bills either. I just have one he11uva strong inner cheapskate that keeps a pretty tight grip on my finances. and YES, its me, not my girlfriend that is fighting this. So dont start with those jokes! She has nothing to do with this decision in that respect. In fact, she told me to go ahead and buy it if it makes me happy.

Man, I havent agonized this much over a purchase since my last guitar a while back. this is really bad!!! probably the worst ever! I am still kicking your Sys 8 deal around...... the inner cheapskate likes it.....

JohnE
08-02-2006, 09:28 AM
UMP, I've reconsidered and now I say don't buy the Monza.

We can have fun with your anguish for months if you don't buy it.;)

John

08-02-2006, 09:34 AM
UMP, I've reconsidered and now I say don't buy the Monza.

We can have fun with your anguish for months if you don't buy it.

John
TRU DAT!!! :D You are correct John!:) This could provide alot of entertainment for many here. I know of several TMCers that love to watch me suffer! ;) The love it! LOVE IT I tell ya!8p

JohnE
08-02-2006, 09:39 AM
UMP, can you remind me what you ski on now? So I don't have to review posts. Just curious.

LakePirate
08-02-2006, 09:41 AM
Shep, Word up!:)

2005 Monza - Fugly
2006 Monza - Cool
2005 Sys 8 - Cool
2006 Sys 8 - Fugly
2006 Nitro - fugly
2005 - Vengeance.....Its not great looking by any means.....its just "ok"

thats my opinion. not that it matters how they look, but if I am dropping that much on a ski, I want to like EVERYTHING about it:o

I dont live paycheck to paycheck, but I aint lighting cigars off $100 bills either. I just have one he11uva strong inner cheapskate that keeps a pretty tight grip on my finances. and YES, its me, not my girlfriend that is fighting this. So dont start with those jokes! She has nothing to do with this decision in that respect. In fact, she told me to go ahead and buy it if it makes me happy.

Man, I havent agonized this much over a purchase since my last guitar a while back. this is really bad!!! probably the worst ever! I am still kicking your Sys 8 deal around...... the inner cheapskate likes it.....

Paint it black and put a big MasterCraft sticker on it. I will mail you one.

Stickers make it quicker

08-02-2006, 09:45 AM
UMP, can you remind me what you ski on now? So I don't have to review posts. Just curious.
I have a 2005 Vengeance now John. 67"

Lakey my brutha!!! I dont paint my skis.....it will chip off. When I rip through the course at 47 off @37MPH it will peel the paint right off that ride;) Even if its Krylon!8p

LakePirate
08-02-2006, 10:04 AM
I have a 2005 Vengeance now John. 67"

Lakey my brutha!!! I dont paint my skis.....it will chip off. When I rip through the course at 47 off @37MPH it will peel the paint right off that ride;) Even if its Krylon!8p

I do hate the spray at 47 off.

08-02-2006, 10:44 AM
Yes, it is a nuisance isnt it Lakey.....

jraben8
08-02-2006, 10:50 AM
:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

6ballsisall
08-02-2006, 10:58 AM
I do hate the spray at 47 off.

Boy sounds like you need some work in the course Lakey. 47' off I ski'd when I was ten! Now 72' off, thats a trip!!! :D

bcampbe7
08-02-2006, 10:59 AM

If you are waiting for UMP to buy that Monza you will need more popcorn.:D

08-02-2006, 11:18 AM
If you are waiting for UMP to buy that Monza you will need more popcorn.:D
Dayum straight Beau! You better call Orville Redenbacher and have him bring his sleeping bag and toothbrush baby!

JR, I already told you, I just grab the swim deck kick off my ski and foot through the course!8p I am UMP! Hear me roar!:D (see how that Hoosier therapy is working!)

LakePirate
08-02-2006, 11:18 AM
Boy sounds like you need some work in the course Lakey. 47' off I ski'd when I was ten! Now 72' off, thats a trip!!! :D

Now you are just being silly. You know you will hit the swim platform at 72 off.

Davo
08-02-2006, 12:36 PM
What's up with those raised "Monza" letters on top of the ski?
No doubt. I would rip that sucker off before the ski fades...it looks just like it's taped on.

shepherd
08-02-2006, 12:40 PM
No doubt. I would rip that sucker off before the ski fades...it looks just like it's taped on.

Personally, I'd like to see the ski come in solid black, with maybe an HO logo on it. Didn't the old Goodes come in basic black? I thought they looked cool.

east tx skier
08-02-2006, 12:43 PM
There are some black ones floating around, but not many.

MYMC
08-02-2006, 12:45 PM
I've never heard more people concerned about how a ski looks! Trust me no one on shore or in the boat notices anything but how many balls you went around...jeez I didnt realize that UMP and Shep were so fashion oriented...since it is so hot out are you guys wearing capris?

TC G
08-02-2006, 01:01 PM
Whats This Talk Of Scary Fast??? I Dont Understand...find Me A Way To Get Across The Wake Faster And Faster...you Aint Gonna Scare Me...as Long As It Decelerates As Fast
If you like Fast all I have to say is GOODE 9600. I haven't tried the new 9700 but i'll bet its not much different than the 9600.

6ballsisall
08-02-2006, 01:02 PM
I've never heard more people concerned about how a ski looks! Trust me no one on shore or in the boat notices anything but how many balls you went around...jeez I didnt realize that UMP and Shep were so fashion oriented...since it is so hot out are you guys wearing capris?

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!! :uglyhamme

I am just imagining UMP now in a pair of Leather capris working at the dealership! Scary thought!!

bcampbe7
08-02-2006, 01:03 PM
...I am just imagining UMP now in a pair of Leather capris working at the dealership! Scary thought!!

Geez Jeff! How long has your wife been out of town?!?:uglyhamme

6ballsisall
08-02-2006, 01:04 PM
Geez Jeff! How long has your wife been out of town?!?:uglyhamme

Too long Beau :( But somehow I don't think I'll get any luvin's when she gets home. :rolleyes:

MYMC
08-02-2006, 01:07 PM
If you like Fast all I have to say is GOODE 9600. I haven't tried the new 9700 but i'll bet its not much different than the 9600.
The 9100 is/was the best ski they ever built...as long as it stays together.

TC G
08-02-2006, 01:10 PM
I've never ski'd that one but my buddy has one. I'll give it a try.

TC G
08-02-2006, 01:13 PM
On second thought maybe I won't ski his 9100. I bought my 9600 last year and absolutly love it. It's a rocket ship. And UMP it looks great too!!

6ballsisall
08-02-2006, 01:14 PM
...as long as it stays together.

Comforting thought............:(

08-02-2006, 01:31 PM
MYMC, dont hate me because I am beautiful! Hey, whether or not you guys wanna admit it, the UMP is hip! now when I have my ski all shined up for its winter nap, I proudly display it in my music room. it should not clash with the guitars in there..... Its all about style baby!! :D I will catch you guys later, I have to go change out of my capris, its getting warm out, I think I need to get my hot pants or my skort on:rolleyes: (Dont get all excited on me HB!, its NOT a Sheepskin skort!)

Red skis are cool, period!:cool:

shepherd
08-02-2006, 02:23 PM

Hey hey hey! :noface: I just made those comments for UMPs benefit because I know he cares about the looks of his ski and I'm trying to sell him a beeeeeaauuutiful System 8.

I'm going to buy that Monza even if it is the ugliest ski I've ever ridden on.

east tx skier
08-02-2006, 02:29 PM

And if it doesn't, just throw some dual lock on it and you're all good. ;)

MYMC
08-02-2006, 02:53 PM
And if it doesn't, just throw some dual lock on it and you're all good. ;)
I still hurt thinking about that.

east tx skier
08-02-2006, 03:07 PM
I should talk, I had to take a hack saw to that little aluminum spacer piece behind the rear boot to make it fit on the Wiley's boots. Mike, does this thing serve a purpose apart from keeping the machine screws from driving through the inserts on the ski?

Also, when measuring boot position, do you go from the heel cup or the rubber?

shepherd
08-02-2006, 10:49 PM
Just did another comparison run on the Monza and System 8, this time with the Wiley boots on both. The System 8 is soooo close to the Monza. I got 2 at 28 off on the System 8 and 3 at 28 off on the Monza. MYMC was right: These skis get better as the rope gets shorter. I made those runs after a couple failed attempts to make 22 off passes on the skis.

My ski buddy tried them both also and got some good runs into 35 off on both skis. He liked the Monza a little better too. He said the System 8 felt noticeably softer in the turns (skiing at longer line lengths, I really didn't notice the difference). He also said about the System 8: Halfway through the turn, the ski grabbed the water and really whipped around hard. It took some getting used to. He normally skis on a KD 7000 which doesn't do that.

I think he also identified the problem that both of us were having when we skied each ski with the Approach bindings. When viewed side by side, the Approach bindings were set back a little further toward the tail of the ski than the Wileys, though they were both mounted in the same holes. Something to think about...

east tx skier
08-02-2006, 10:53 PM
Noticed that when I mounted my Wiley's. Double checked with the measuring tape to make sure I got the same mounts. You can't mount the front Wiley to the stock 29.25" to tail settins for the 67" monza. Fortunately, I've been running at 29.50, which is neutral on the approach boots and back one hole on off center with wileys.

08-02-2006, 11:03 PM
Ah Shep, your just trying to sell me your Sys8 talkin' it up like that8p ;)

Sounds good boys!!!:D Good info Shep! Keep up the good work!:D

shepherd
08-02-2006, 11:09 PM
Ah Shep, your just trying to sell me your Sys8 talkin' it up like that

Sounds good boys!!!:D Good info Shep! Keep up the good work!:D

Hey, I did say we both favored the Monza! :D

08-02-2006, 11:28 PM
Hey, I did say we both favored the Monza! :D
I know, I am just goofin ya!! PM at ya!:) UMP is thinking again......:eek:

MYMC
08-03-2006, 08:36 AM
I should talk, I had to take a hack saw to that little aluminum spacer piece behind the rear boot to make it fit on the Wiley's boots. Mike, does this thing serve a purpose apart from keeping the machine screws from driving through the inserts on the ski?

Also, when measuring boot position, do you go from the heel cup or the rubber?
Heel cup and the plate is to keep you from pulling the screw through.

east tx skier
08-03-2006, 10:10 AM
Heel cup and the plate is to keep you from pulling the screw through.

Well now I have to remount them. Went from the inside of the heel cup as opposed to the outside.

MYMC
08-03-2006, 10:25 AM
Just did another comparison run on the Monza and System 8, this time with the Wiley boots on both. The System 8 is soooo close to the Monza. I got 2 at 28 off on the System 8 and 3 at 28 off on the Monza. MYMC was right: These skis get better as the rope gets shorter. I made those runs after a couple failed attempts to make 22 off passes on the skis.

My ski buddy tried them both also and got some good runs into 35 off on both skis. He liked the Monza a little better too. He said the System 8 felt noticeably softer in the turns (skiing at longer line lengths, I really didn't notice the difference). He also said about the System 8: Halfway through the turn, the ski grabbed the water and really whipped around hard. It took some getting used to. He normally skis on a KD 7000 which doesn't do that.

I think he also identified the problem that both of us were having when we skied each ski with the Approach bindings. When viewed side by side, the Approach bindings were set back a little further toward the tail of the ski than the Wileys, though they were both mounted in the same holes. Something to think about...

Here is what eveyone needs to keep in mind...as the rope gets shorter you will have more ski in the water. So as you get better and braver the stiffness of the tip of the ski becomes more important. If the ski is soft and easy to turn at longer line lengths it will become more difficult as the rope gets shorter. The ski will begin to feel like it is coming to a stop in the turn as you are now using the soft tip that was not in the water back at 15 & 22. The difference between a System8 and a Monza is stiffness and weight...ski em both and decide.

6ballsisall
08-03-2006, 10:32 AM
Here is what eveyone needs to keep in mind...as the rope gets shorter you will have more ski in the water. So as you get better and braver the stiffness of the tip of the ski becomes more important. If the ski is soft and easy to turn at longer line lengths it will become more difficult as the rope gets shorter. The ski will begin to feel like it is coming to a stop in the turn as you are now using the soft tip that was not in the water back at 15 & 22. The difference between a System8 and a Monza is stiffness and weight...ski em both and decide.

Good info Mike! I was worried about my Monza not being stiff enough on my 49' off passes. I picked up some angle iron and plan to glue it to the ski tonight. When they gonna make a ski for us ultra shortliners Mike??? :D

bcampbe7
08-03-2006, 10:34 AM
Good info Mike! I was worried about my Monza not being stiff enough on my 49' off passes. I picked up some angle iron and plan to glue it to the ski tonight. When they gonna make a ski for us ultra shortliners Mike??? :D

6ballsisall
08-03-2006, 10:37 AM

What the he&& is that?????:confused:

bcampbe7
08-03-2006, 10:43 AM
What the he&& is that?????:confused:

No bull$(!^ allowed.:D

6ballsisall
08-03-2006, 10:47 AM
No bull$(!^ allowed.:D

HAHAHA!! Who said I was BS'ing??? THe Monza gave me mad skilz!! I bring new meaning to the world SHortline. :D :rolleyes:

bcampbe7
08-03-2006, 10:51 AM
HAHAHA!! Who said I was BS'ing??? THe Monza gave me mad skilz!! I bring new meaning to the world SHortline. :D :rolleyes:

I believe you, I was just putting that up there for UMP. I wouldn't want him to buy that Monza and the very next day ski into 51.458' off.

6ballsisall
08-03-2006, 10:56 AM
I believe you, I was just putting that up there for UMP. I wouldn't want him to buy that Monza and the very next day ski into 51.458' off.

UMP will have a hard time making 51' off, that cape will slow him down cross course to much :D :D

LakePirate
08-03-2006, 10:59 AM
UMP will have a hard time making 51' off, that cape will slow him down cross course to much :D :D

However the reduced drag from the leather pants will counter the drag from the cape allowing him 4 balls at 51' off.

6ballsisall
08-03-2006, 11:00 AM
However the reduced drag from the leather pants will counter the drag from the cape allowing him 4 balls at 51' off.

he'll need all 6 for braggin rights at MM 2.75

MYMC
08-03-2006, 11:02 AM
I think you mean Carpi pants in leather...fashion cannot be cast aside.

LakePirate
08-03-2006, 11:03 AM
I think you mean Carpi pants in leather...fashion cannot be cast aside.

I apologize that I was not thinking fashion forward.

08-03-2006, 04:29 PM
WOW, we were without internet here all day!:( I just got back online. I wont be wearing my leather pants at MM boys, I will be wearing my superhero out fit, and its nearly complete!!!:headbang: Just a few finishing touches and we will be rockin!!!:D I am more confused today than yesterday about this ski thing. Long story short. I tried to go to 22 off last nite(free skiing) just to get a feel for it. I have a helluva bump in the middle of the wake there. SO just for comparison, I tried 28 off, the bump is still there. I was afraid to go any further. so I go 22 off, and I am starting to try one handed turns( I know its embarrassing that I still hold the handle with both hands during a turn, but I am trying to get rid of my trainging wheels!;) ) I did about 3 or 4 turns, getting the feel of it, then on the next one, I cut out there, and I think I leaned out too far or something, and I fell hard. full release from the ski, ski hit my leg. chest hit hard too. So I just dont know if I am ready for that yet...... Myabe i should stick with waht I have......

LakePirate
08-03-2006, 04:33 PM
What about your leather capris?

I was wondering where you were at today

bcampbe7
08-03-2006, 04:43 PM
What about your leather capris?

Yeah, were they hurt in the crash?!?

east tx skier
08-03-2006, 04:52 PM
At long line, you don't need to do one handed turns although it isn't bad practice for when you work your way closer to the boat. Just work on reaching with two hands first.

WOW, we were without internet here all day!:( I just got back online. I wont be wearing my leather pants at MM boys, I will be wearing my superhero out fit, and its nearly complete!!!:headbang: Just a few finishing touches and we will be rockin!!!:D I am more confused today than yesterday about this ski thing. Long story short. I tried to go to 22 off last nite(free skiing) just to get a feel for it. I have a helluva bump in the middle of the wake there. SO just for comparison, I tried 28 off, the bump is still there. I was afraid to go any further. so I go 22 off, and I am starting to try one handed turns( I know its embarrassing that I still hold the handle with both hands during a turn, but I am trying to get rid of my trainging wheels!;) ) I did about 3 or 4 turns, getting the feel of it, then on the next one, I cut out there, and I think I leaned out too far or something, and I fell hard. full release from the ski, ski hit my leg. chest hit hard too. So I just dont know if I am ready for that yet...... Myabe i should stick with waht I have......

6ballsisall
08-03-2006, 05:02 PM
Sorry to hear of the fall UMP! Glad you are ok.

Most boats do have a bump at 22' off so that is normal. If you speed up to 34 or 36 that diminishes quite a bit. Stay on edge thru the 2nd wake and keep that handle at your hips and close to your body cross course. Shoulders square with the boat.
One or two handed turns are your choice. I've seen guys run 28' off with both hands on the rope at all times.

08-03-2006, 05:05 PM
OK East, thanks! See why I need to get to a ski school......:o

So at what point do you get into one hand turns? 28 off, 35 off?

and NO, there were NO leather pants harmed in that crash! NO leather Capris either! ;) just my chin and ego was bruised a bit. other than that, UMP is fine! Thanks for being concerned about my leather..... :cool:

east tx skier
08-03-2006, 05:07 PM
OK East, thanks! See why I need to get to a ski school......:o

So at what point do you get into one hand turns? 28 off, 35 off?

and NO, there were NO leather pants harmed in that crash! NO leather Capris either! ;) just my chin and ego was bruised a bit. other than that, UMP is fine! Thanks for being concerned about my leather..... :cool:

I'd say start working on them long before you need them. You need them when you cannot get wide enough to get good angle to the next ball without letting go of the rope with one hand.

shepherd
08-03-2006, 05:11 PM
I think I was doing one-handed turns almost from the day I learned to get up on one ski, only because that's how I thought you were supposed to do it.

08-03-2006, 05:13 PM
I'd say start working on them long before you need them. You need them when you cannot get wide enough to get good angle to the next ball without letting go of the rope with one hand.
OK East, makes sense...I understand. Thanks. I guess as a 15 off Free skier, I dont need to worry about them. No course to ski on, so no worry or need to shorten the rope.

BTW, has anyone noticed I havent bought anything yet.....:o the inner cheapskate is winning......:o and that fall I took last night didnt help. :o

bcampbe7
08-03-2006, 05:16 PM
BTW, has anyone noticed I havent bought anything yet.....:o the inner cheapskate is winning......:o and that fall I took last night didnt help. :o

It's all good UMP.

My inner cheapskate, also known as my wife, is not allowing me to buy an expensive ski either. :D

08-03-2006, 05:17 PM
Man, that is just alot of money...... I mean alot!

east tx skier
08-03-2006, 05:20 PM
Deals are out there. Work on the one handed turns. Release and reach. Just know, that at this line length, it's not mandatory to get around those little orange doodads..

08-03-2006, 05:25 PM
I am gonna keep looking. I just dont wanna fork out a G for a ski. I am still intersted in Shep's Sys 8 too....

east tx skier
08-03-2006, 05:37 PM
Brand new one on ski-it-again for $450 UMP and another with light use for $399.

Ric
08-03-2006, 06:00 PM
ump, refresh my memory.... what ski are you skiing now?
if you are skiing open water, I am not sure what you want to achieve by getting a monza.... If your answer is "I freeski 34mph and I want serious Eye Peeling speed.....", then I will back away quietly...

shepherd
08-03-2006, 06:18 PM
if you are skiing open water, I am not sure what you want to achieve by getting a monza.... If your answer is "I freeski 34mph and I want serious Eye Peeling speed.....", then I will back away quietly...

good point. I think UMP is hoping to get into the course in the near future... Until then, the System 8 or Monza really isn't necessary IMHO.

08-03-2006, 10:16 PM
I am free skiing at 34 MPH at 15 off Ric. on a 67" HO Vengeance 2005 model. double Animals.

I just want something a bit more aggresive to grow on....thats why I am considering a hotter ride than I have now. I think the sys 8 or the Monza would be fine. The sys 8 is more in my price range, and I am sure I wouldnt be able to notice a difference at my skill level.....:confused:

Ric
08-03-2006, 11:33 PM
I am free skiing at 34 MPH at 15 off Ric. on a 67" HO Vengeance 2005 model. double Animals.

I just want something a bit more aggresive to grow on....thats why I am considering a hotter ride than I have now. I think the sys 8 or the Monza would be fine. The sys 8 is more in my price range, and I am sure I wouldnt be able to notice a difference at my skill level.....:confused: well I am not your ski pro but go get the sys8 if you want some speed for free skiing, otherwise, you have good gear, your only problem is a short ski year!

that vengeance will take you into 28 off course skiing if you have the hair8p

I have one and while I haven't skiid as much as I like this year, that s.o.b. is more ski than I am a skier and yet I've nearly RUN 22 off at 34mph on double venoms many times (yet I have not mastered the 6ball monster at 22 off)

08-04-2006, 08:20 AM
well I am not your ski pro but go get the sys8 if you want some speed for free skiing, otherwise, you have good gear, your only problem is a short ski year!

that vengeance will take you into 28 off course skiing if you have the hair8p

I have one and while I haven't skiid as much as I like this year, that s.o.b. is more ski than I am a skier and yet I've nearly RUN 22 off at 34mph on double venoms many times (yet I have not mastered the 6ball monster at 22 off)
Ric, I do my best to extend the ski season. Last year, May 21 to Oct 16 with a wetsuit. THis year started at April 12th with a drysuit, and I plan to take it into November this fall. The nice part about starting early is, you get in ski shape, so when the nice weather comes you can enjoy skiing more.

You are proabably right that the Sys 8 will be fine for me. Heck, the Vengeance is fine for me, I just want something more fun to ride. I dont know what to do. I keep thinking the Sys 8 is plenty of ski for me, and then I keep thinking "what if I got the Monza".....

The part about the Sys 8 is, its supposed to be better in varying water conditions and a bit more forgiving, so maybe its better for someone like me....

WOW WHAT A DRAMA!!!! I HAVE NEVER BEEN SO CONFUSED ABOUT A PIECE OF GEAR, EVER!!!! :o :confused:

MarkP
08-04-2006, 08:40 AM
Ric, I do my best to extend the ski season. Last year, May 21 to Oct 16 with a wetsuit. THis year started at April 12th with a drysuit, and I plan to take it into November this fall. The nice part about starting early is, you get in ski shape, so when the nice weather comes you can enjoy skiing more.

You are proabably right that the Sys 8 will be fine for me. Heck, the Vengeance is fine for me, I just want something more fun to ride. I dont know what to do. I keep thinking the Sys 8 is plenty of ski for me, and then I keep thinking "what if I got the Monza".....

The part about the Sys 8 is, its supposed to be better in varying water conditions and a bit more forgiving, so maybe its better for someone like me....

WOW WHAT A DRAMA!!!! I HAVE NEVER BEEN SO CONFUSED ABOUT A PIECE OF GEAR, EVER!!!!
Hey ump
I just wanted to throw this at you. What if you got a Sixam??
When you mentioned “varying water conditions” it made me think.. One of the things I like about the Sixam is it will still blister the water in some chop. And doesn’t it hold some “record” or something??
Let me see
SixAm:http://www.justusboys.com/forum/images/smilies/wow.gif
Lightning FAST
Great Acceleration
Turns on a dime, (or better)
Super Stable, and Predictable
Makes the chop feel like BUTTER
Your HO boots should mount right up
Record holding ski, (I think)
Well, Just some food for thought.http://www.justusboys.com/forum/images/smilies/banana2.gif.

MarkP
08-04-2006, 08:45 AM
http://www.justusboys.com/forum/images/smilies/Off-Topic2.gifOh
And sorry for the thread jack.
I just realized this was a HO thread..

jraben8
08-04-2006, 09:04 AM
Ump, by the time you buy anything your season will be over. Just something else for you to consider. Go buy the System 8. If you advance past the capabilities of that ski you will probably be sponsored and won't have to worry about buying skis. :D :D :D

MarkP
08-04-2006, 09:10 AM
Ump, by the time you buy anything your season will be over. Just something else for you to consider. Go buy the System 8. If you advance past the capabilities of that ski you will probably be sponsored and won't have to worry about buying skis. :D
I think we should just be supportive of umps quest for a new PB!http://www.stuntlife.com/forums/images/smilies/huepfenicon111.gif!

jraben8
08-04-2006, 09:26 AM
That's exactly why I'd like to see him pull the trigger on this and he could be on his way. No better time than the present.

/I'm liking the smileys...

08-04-2006, 09:29 AM
Nice Smileys Mark!!!

Good idea with the SIXAM too.... Hmmm.....more food for thought...THANKS!! :)

MarkP
08-04-2006, 09:35 AM
That's exactly why I'd like to see him pull the trigger on this and he could be on his way. No better time than the present.

/I'm liking the smileys...
We do want UMP to get what he needs. Now you got me thinking!!! Hmmm, maybe that SiXam is the perfect fit..

jraben8
08-04-2006, 09:36 AM
I'll just have to resume watching this thread because I'm going to be of no help. I'm on a D3 and haven't skied either of the choices.

MarkP
08-04-2006, 09:38 AM
Nice Smileys Mark!!!

Good idea with the SIXAM too.... Hmmm.....more food for thought...THANKS!! :)Its all true what I say about that ski..

an 04 or an 05, Hmmmmmmmmm!!!!

Ric
08-04-2006, 09:41 AM
go do some demos ump
dont give me some up story about no demo places, get on a plane and go do a demo at a ski school before they shut down for fall

That 6am is a great idea Ump, have you skiid one?

MarkP
08-04-2006, 09:43 AM
:o :confused:
Seriously ump,
I have a Sixam and a monza and you may have hit the nail on the head with your comment.

jraben8
08-04-2006, 09:45 AM
Ric's absolutely right. You have to find out what really works for you. We can say a lot of things and we all want you to make the right choice but ultimately it's only about how you feel on the ski.

MarkP
08-04-2006, 09:45 AM
I'll just have to resume watching this thread because I'm going to be of no help. I'm on a D3 and haven't skied either of the choices.Are you on the X5???

MarkP
08-04-2006, 09:47 AM
Ric's absolutely right. You have to find out what really works for you. We can say a lot of things and we all want you to make the right choice but ultimately it's only about how you feel on the ski.
Stop talking like that.:mad: . How are we going to spend UMP’s money if you keep that crazy talk up??

Ric
08-04-2006, 09:47 AM
UMP!!! 6am

MarkP
08-04-2006, 09:50 AM
http://www.gamingforums.com/images/smilies/yeahthat.gif

MarkP
08-04-2006, 09:51 AM
UMP!!! 6am
http://www.gamingforums.com/images/smilies/yeahthat.gif

thats better

08-04-2006, 09:51 AM
Thanks for the help fellas! UMP will keep you all posted..... he is thinking!:D

jraben8
08-04-2006, 09:54 AM
Stop talking like that.:mad: . How are we going to spend UMP’s money if you keep that crazy talk up??

Since I jumped into this one I can't decide if it is more fun to spend his money or give him more to think about!?! ;)

MarkP
08-04-2006, 09:56 AM
SixAm:http://www.justusboys.com/forum/images/smilies/wow.gif
Lightning FAST
Great Acceleration
Well, Just some food for thought.http://www.justusboys.com/forum/images/smilies/banana2.gif

jraben8
08-04-2006, 09:58 AM
Are you on the X5???

I'm still on a custom 4.

08-04-2006, 10:06 AM
Since I jumped into this one I can't decide if it is more fun to spend his money or give him more to think about!?! ;)
Dude, your right in the mix now! your up to your neck in UMP Sh**!!! :toast: and it smells too!

Oh, trust me, as agonizing as this decision process is, its just as entertaining too......for all of you that is!:D 8p

MarkP
08-04-2006, 10:12 AM
Dude, your right in the mix now! your up to your neck in UMP Sh**!!! :toast: and it smells too!

Oh, trust me, as agonizing as this decision process is, its just as entertaining too......for all of you that is!:D 8p
Ump
You truly may want/need to give the Sixam a ride!!

08-04-2006, 10:27 AM
But where to find one......

MarkP
08-04-2006, 10:30 AM
You can find them used but I think I see more Monzas fer sale.. Want me to look around?? You need a 67.5?? They have the 66 then 67.5 and I forget the next size..

08-04-2006, 10:40 AM
You can find them used but I think I see more Monzas fer sale.. Want me to look around?? You need a 67.5?? They have the 66 then 67.5 and I forget the next size..

Hold the line a while Mark.....I got a line on a 06 Monza.....used. I will keep ya posted!:) Thanks!

MarkP
08-04-2006, 10:48 AM
Hold the line a while Mark.....I got a line on a 06 Monza.....used. I will keep ya posted!:) Thanks!
Dude
I’m afraid if you pull the trigger we will be going through this same thing only
“Monza vs. Sixam”, http://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/images/smilies/stooges.gif!!!!!!!!!!

MarkP
08-04-2006, 10:53 AM
http://www.justusboys.com/forum/images/smilies/goodluck.gif, BUT, I wonder why so many Monzas for sale???http://www.justusboys.com/forum/images/smilies/bdead.gif

08-04-2006, 11:15 AM
Dude
I’m afraid if you pull the trigger we will be going through this same thing only
“Monza vs. Sixam”, http://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/images/smilies/stooges.gif!!!!!!!!!!

:uglyhamme :uglyhamme YOu know me pretty well dont ya Mark!:D

08-04-2006, 11:16 AM
http://www.justusboys.com/forum/images/smilies/goodluck.gif, BUT, I wonder why so many Monzas for sale???http://www.justusboys.com/forum/images/smilies/bdead.gif
I havent decided yet Mark, still looking into it.....no decisions yet.....:)

MarkP
08-04-2006, 11:18 AM
SixAm:
Lightning FAST
Great Acceleration
Well, Just some food for thought

MarkP
08-04-2006, 03:59 PM
I just got done putting the boots on the Monza for what might end up being my last go round with it..

shepherd
08-04-2006, 09:22 PM

UMP... :noface: :noface: Quit torturing yourself dude.

MarkP
08-04-2006, 11:42 PM
UMP... :noface: :noface: Quit torturing yourself dude.
Why don’t you guys come to PA and ski a while??

shepherd
08-05-2006, 07:29 AM
Why don’t you guys come to PA and ski a while??

I'm actually in MD right now for family reunion. Using a borrowed computer. No skiing, but at least the body can recharge. Can't wait to get back on my new Monza next week! The System 8 looks kind of sad with no boots on it... :(

JohnE
08-05-2006, 07:37 AM
Shep, how much are you selling the used Sys 8 for?

shepherd
08-05-2006, 07:52 AM
Shep, how much are you selling the used Sys 8 for?

Check your PM John.

JohnE
08-05-2006, 12:51 PM
I gotta be crazy. I just bought the F1X, but I can't stop thinking about buying Shep's System 8. I'm still getting used to my new ski, but the Sys 8 with the favorable review and low price seems to be haunting me. Hurry up and buy it UMP, before we get in a bidding war.:cool:

Common sense tells me to keep skiing the F1X and if I get a lot better go for a monza next year, but....I can be very compulsive.:D

Thanks to everyone for a great thread.

John

Ric
08-05-2006, 01:42 PM
well ump you just fooled around too long and missed the deal on the sys 8 but if things go well, maybe you can buy johne's f1x (which I hope you have studied)

MarkP
08-05-2006, 02:16 PM
The System 8 looks kind of sad with no boots on it... :(
It’ll get over it. I get to ski this morning and tomorrow morning as well. Monza today and the Sixam tomorrow..

Have to say the monza felt good today..

Ric
08-05-2006, 02:41 PM
UMP, Texas is having it's tax free weekend this weekend

you should do a road trip to amarillo and getcha a deal on a sixam

08-06-2006, 09:26 AM
Ric, are you saying that in your DEEP SEXY HOOSIER VOICE???

You really want to save me spend $600 on gas to save $50 on tax? or you just want me to come and visit you in my leather pants?

east tx skier
08-06-2006, 10:47 AM
The only thing that's tax free is a pair of socks and a belt. I just take it as a sign to stay out of the store.

MarkP
08-06-2006, 10:56 AM
It’ll get over it. I get to ski this morning and tomorrow morning as well. Monza today and the Sixam tomorrow..

Have to say the monza felt good today..

But the Sixam felt better today!!http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/images/icons/icon14.gif!

east tx skier
08-06-2006, 11:26 AM
So sell that bad boy already. I haven't skied in 3 weeks. That will change next weekend though.

MarkP
08-06-2006, 11:34 AM
So sell that bad boy already. I haven't skied in 3 weeks. That will change next weekend though.
I think so,
I snuck off with just my Supra buddy and got some good skiing in this morning. We agreed to split the cost of the ticket if we got busted skiing without an observer. Our third left this morning for Spain..

08-06-2006, 05:00 PM
I smell a monza......just catching a wiff of one......hmmmmm

Ric
08-07-2006, 09:03 AM
Ric, are you saying that in your DEEP SEXY HOOSIER VOICE???

You really want to save me spend $600 on gas to save $50 on tax? or you just want me to come and visit you in my leather pants?

don't worry about me seeing you in your leather ump, I specifically directed you to amarillo.
skis are not tax free this weekend, only clothes. BUT YOU KNOW YOU THOUGHT ABOUT IT8p

try the 6am yet ump?

08-07-2006, 09:12 AM
don't worry about me seeing you in your leather ump, I specifically directed you to amarillo.
skis are not tax free this weekend, only clothes. BUT YOU KNOW YOU THOUGHT ABOUT IT8p

try the 6am yet ump?
Nope, no SIXAMs around these parts man. NObody skis around here, let alone have high end skis. The only way to try one, is to buy one.

I got a line on a MOnza now......:cool:

Ric
08-07-2006, 09:18 AM
I had you a line on a monza 2months ago

MarkP
08-07-2006, 09:47 AM
Nope, no SIXAMs around these parts man.

LOL
That’s because anyone with a Sixam is skiing it not trying to sell it..

MYMC
08-07-2006, 09:58 AM
LOL
That’s because anyone with a Sixam is skiing it not trying to sell it..

I've got one I'll sell! It has been ridden twice (that was enough for me).

MarkP
08-07-2006, 10:05 AM
I've got one I'll sell! It has been ridden twice (that was enough for me).
What year and is it the 67.5?

MYMC
08-07-2006, 10:31 AM
What year and is it the 67.5?

Last year, so a 2005. Its a 69.5

MarkP
08-07-2006, 10:34 AM
Last year, so a 2005. Its a 69.5Sounds like a good fit for our ump!!
Our resident Super Hero!!
http://www.stuntlife.com/forums/images/smilies/dance.gif

08-07-2006, 10:40 AM
Isnt that a bit too long for me at 200 lbs:confused: :confused:

08-07-2006, 10:41 AM
BTW Mark, funny you should post those dancing superheros, The ol UMPster is a pretty good dancer!:D My friends say I was a better dancer when I was 311 lbs though, I have a hard time with balance now.:o

MarkP
08-07-2006, 10:46 AM
Isnt that a bit too long for me at 200 lbs:confused: :confused:
Depends on boat speed???

08-07-2006, 10:47 AM
I ski at 34 MPH Mark. I think I am buying a used Monza today.....

MarkP
08-07-2006, 10:49 AM
BTW Mark, funny you should post those dancing superheros, The ol UMPster is a pretty good dancer!:D My friends say I was a better dancer when I was 311 lbs though, I have a hard time with balance now.:o
BTW Ump,
I know that!! (your reputation as a great dancer precedes you)!!

Ric
08-07-2006, 11:43 AM
BTW Mark, funny you should post those dancing superheros, The ol UMPster is a pretty good dancer!:D My friends say I was a better dancer when I was 311 lbs though, I have a hard time with balance now.:o . :noface: .

08-07-2006, 12:18 PM
Whatsamadda Ric? Dont like the idea of me dancing?? :mad:

Ric
08-07-2006, 12:18 PM
I am envisioning that giant Milwaukees Best can crushing you as you talk about your dancing

MarkP
08-07-2006, 12:31 PM
Whatsamadda Ric? Dont like the idea of me dancing?? :mad:Right!!! You go UMP!!
If you enjoy it, don’t let anyone tell you its wrong!!

http://www.joyofbellydancing.com/images/jeannie.gif

08-07-2006, 12:46 PM
Ric is just jealous thats all! :D Hey Ric, the ladies LOVE a man that will dance with them!!!

MarkP
08-07-2006, 01:02 PM
Ric is just jealous thats all! :D Hey Ric, the ladies LOVE a man that will dance with them!!!
You saying, she should otta try it?

08-07-2006, 01:41 PM
sure!:)

I think I smell a Monza gentlemen.....

6ballsisall
08-07-2006, 01:46 PM

HOLY SH^^!!!!!!!

Stop the press gentleman!!!!

MarkP
08-07-2006, 01:47 PM

Oops that was me,http://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/images/smilies/fart.gif .. Excuse me, :o ..

08-07-2006, 01:47 PM
Dont stop the press yet.....it aint in da house, but I smell one..... I hear things too.....Monza things.... maybe.....:D

08-07-2006, 01:51 PM
You never know man......one might show up here.....

08-07-2006, 02:12 PM
anything is possible.....

MarkP
08-07-2006, 02:17 PM
Ok man we get it. Stop your post ho-in..:rolleyes:

6ballsisall
08-07-2006, 02:20 PM

MarkP
08-07-2006, 02:30 PM
Hey,
Not that it matters, but I thought I would offer you a little light reading while your new ski is on the way.
For your enjoyment, look at what they say about the Sixam in less than ideal conditions.
I know I had the Monza out in a little bit of chop this past weekend and while it wasn’t like riding over a washboard the Sixam didn’t even know the water was bumpy..
But don’t worry about it buddy. You probably only, get out on the glass..

http://www.waterskimag.com/article.jsp?ID=36669 ;)

ski_king
08-07-2006, 02:57 PM
Mark, how many skis do you have now?

MarkP
08-07-2006, 03:03 PM
Mark, how many skis do you have now?:o

Ric
08-07-2006, 03:08 PM
way to go ump, you upset the guy from peeayyye

08-07-2006, 04:06 PM
For the price of this ski, I had to jump on it and try it. I had the chance to ski a monza briefly and liked it a few weeks ago. I really want to try this. I hear what your saying mark, really I do. And I am not dissing your recommendations. I just have a itch to scratch with this ski. Eastie pointed this ski deal out to me, and its a great deal for a used Monza. If it dont work out, I wont have a problem selling it and getting my money back out of it. its not like I am dumping a grand on a ski here. If its not good for me, I can flip it for a used SIXAM. I do appreciate all your help on the ski thing. I just have to try this. :o

jraben8
08-07-2006, 04:14 PM

Now we wait for progression updates from UMP....

MarkP
08-07-2006, 04:18 PM
For the price of this ski, I had to jump on it and try it. I had the chance to ski a monza briefly and liked it a few weeks ago. I really want to try this. I hear what your saying mark, really I do. And I am not dissing your recommendations. I just have a itch to scratch with this ski. Eastie pointed this ski deal out to me, and its a great deal for a used Monza. If it dont work out, I wont have a problem selling it and getting my money back out of it. its not like I am dumping a grand on a ski here. If its not good for me, I can flip it for a used SIXAM. I do appreciate all your help on the ski thing. I just have to try this. :o
I’m just pulling your leg a little, ok, well, a lot..
To tell you the truth, I scared myself a little with that article that I posted for you.. I read that article a while ago but read it again today. After the re-read today I thought, Oh crap, I should try the Goode!! But after a good re-re-read, I think I’m on the ski I want..
Want me to tell you about what I think About the Sixam.
If I keep hanging around this thread I may be telling you about the Goode,:banana:
http://www.waterskimag.com/article.jsp?ID=36669

Ric
08-07-2006, 04:21 PM
ump this really is getting like the erk buys a boat thread

ski_king
08-07-2006, 04:22 PM
I was thinking the same thing.
...and erk dosnt even own a boat now, he just sells them.
Maybe UMP will start selling skis before we know it.

MarkP
08-07-2006, 04:22 PM
I thought that a while back but didn’t want to dampen his enthusiasm..

MarkP
08-07-2006, 04:24 PM
Maybe UMP will start selling skis before we know it.Hey Denny,

You gettin out??

Ric
08-07-2006, 04:26 PM
Maybe UMP will start selling skis before we know it. tick tock tick tock

ski_king
08-07-2006, 04:28 PM
Hey Denny,

You gettin out??
Believe it or not I only skied once so far this summer. Healing a strained back right now.
Between rain, high water, kids work schedules......
Maybe next week.

MarkP
08-07-2006, 04:31 PM
That stinks! Hope the middle of this season gets better for you..

08-07-2006, 04:49 PM
I can see it now, UMP the ski salesman. I will be like the Al Bundy of O'Brien waterskis. The Herb Tarleck of HO, The Ruddy Russo of Connelly. 8p It is my destiny........

Ric
08-07-2006, 04:54 PM
seriously ump, the monza is going to help you pick up some bouys. when will you get it?

bcampbe7
08-07-2006, 04:58 PM
...when will you get it?

Second Tuesday of next week.:D

JohnE
08-08-2006, 06:39 AM
UMP, congrats on your decision.

shepherd
08-08-2006, 08:51 AM
UMP, congrats on your decision.

UMP decide? No way, I won't believe it until I see a photo of him holding his new Monza on this web site.

08-08-2006, 11:22 AM
I will post one just for you Shep;)

Mark got me all confused on skis now.....I may buy a SIXAM too:eek3:

jraben8
08-08-2006, 11:37 AM
I will have to laugh pretty hard when he posts the picture for you guys and there are 3 skis there.

MarkP
08-08-2006, 11:55 AM
I will post one just for you Shep;)

Mark got me all confused on skis now.....I may buy a SIXAM too:eek3::o ??

08-08-2006, 12:05 PM
Its cool Mark.....no probs! :D

MarkP
08-08-2006, 12:08 PM
Its cool Mark.....no probs! :D
Hey,
I was just throwing it out there..
Didn’t think you would do anything drastic like, go out and get a good ski!!

east tx skier
08-08-2006, 12:15 PM
I just got a chance to ride a SixAM yesterday. Amazing ski. The hunt begins.

MarkP
08-08-2006, 12:32 PM
I just got a chance to ride a SixAM yesterday. Amazing ski. The hunt begins.LOL!!! Your Kidding, Right??

08-08-2006, 12:33 PM
w@!#$*^ you doug, you better not be messin' with me again!!!!:rolleyes:

Are you serious??

MarkP
08-08-2006, 12:34 PM
Oh,
And get out of here!! This is an HO thread!!!

08-08-2006, 12:36 PM
I think he is just messin with my head again Mark.....he knows he can get my brain into a logical, technical, and financial frenzy in about 3 seconds if he wants to.....:mad: I am a slave to his sense of humor....:o

east tx skier
08-08-2006, 12:37 PM
w@!#$*^ you doug, you better not be messin' with me again!!!!:rolleyes:

Are you serious??

LOL! No. 8p

MarkP
08-08-2006, 12:42 PM
I think he is just messin with my head again Mark.....he knows he can get my brain into a logical, technical, and financial frenzy in about 3 seconds if he wants to.....:mad: I am a slave to his sense of humor....:o
That’s right ump! Tell em!!

Doug,
if your messin with ump again, I’ll come at you like a spider monkey!!!!!!!

east tx skier
08-08-2006, 12:44 PM
Bring it, monkey!

08-08-2006, 01:05 PM
Oooo! a duel!:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

MarkP
08-08-2006, 01:11 PM
Oooo! a duel!:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:You keep out of this!!

08-08-2006, 01:16 PM
You keep out of this!!
Alright, alright..... Its better that way.....with you two fighting over me, I was starting to feel like a damsel in distress..8p ;)

:uglyhamme

east tx skier
08-08-2006, 02:08 PM
This is personal. MarkP knows what he did. Ain't got a thing to do with you.

08-08-2006, 03:51 PM
This is personal. MarkP knows what he did. Ain't got a thing to do with you.
Uh-oh......

pq2
08-08-2006, 06:08 PM
seriously ump, the monza is going to help you pick up some bouys. when will you get it?

thats true UMP, another PB for me today, i think im going to drink a tequila to celebrate and pour one over mi MONZA :D

MarkP
08-08-2006, 06:14 PM
thats true UMP, another PB for me today, i think im going to drink a tequila to celebrate and pour one over mi MONZA :DNice!!!

LMAO!!

6ballsisall
08-08-2006, 06:35 PM
seriously ump, the monza is going to help you pick up some boys. when will you get it?

Ah hah!!! Ric has now shown "its" true identity!!!! :D ;)

MarkP
08-08-2006, 06:40 PM
Ah hah!!! Ric has now shown "its" true identity!!!! :D ;)
A little preoccupied there jr??

6ballsisall
08-08-2006, 06:43 PM
A little preoccupied there jr??

Easy Mark!!! :shocked:

MarkP
08-08-2006, 06:58 PM
Easy Mark!!! :shocked:
Your already married aren’t you??

6ballsisall
08-08-2006, 06:59 PM
Your already married aren’t you??

Happily.... and with a 1 year old daughter. :cool:

MarkP
08-08-2006, 07:02 PM
Good deal!! No worries about that true Identity then..

MarkP
08-08-2006, 07:03 PM
It would be as bad as finding out about the tooth fairy!!

6ballsisall
08-08-2006, 07:04 PM
It would be as bad as finding out about the tooth ferry!!

Whats wrong with the tooth ferry???? :confused: Is she ok???:confused:

6ballsisall
08-08-2006, 07:15 PM
Yes this is a shameless plug for a perfect set of Approach binders I have for sale. :D

http://www.tmcowners.com/market/showproduct.php?product=976&cat=9

shepherd
08-08-2006, 07:18 PM
Man, this thread sure went way off course!

Anyways, I still got a blank System 8 for sale. I thought it was cheap, but maybe not. I'm thinking eBay... :rolleyes:

It's not a bad ski from what I read on this thread. ;)

MarkP
08-08-2006, 07:20 PM
Not doubting that they are great and all, but I think Doug just sold a set of them Approach binders because he was afraid of them???

6ballsisall
08-08-2006, 07:23 PM
Not doubting that they are great and all, but I think Doug just sold a set of them Approach binders because he was afraid of them???

I wouldn't be afraid of them in the least. They'll release just fine. I'd still be on them if it weren't for that darn BrianM getting me in touch with JagerWatersports about some hard shells. The Approach is a killer binding that puts you in the right body position

MarkP
08-08-2006, 07:25 PM
Man, this thread sure went way off course!

Anyways, I still got a blank System 8 for sale. I thought it was cheap, but maybe not. I'm thinking eBay... :rolleyes:

It's not a bad ski from what I read on this thread. ;):o

MarkP
08-08-2006, 07:26 PM
I wouldn't be afraid of them in the least. They'll release just fine. I'd still be on them if it weren't for that darn BrianM getting me in touch with JagerWatersports about some hard shells. The Approach is a killer binding that puts you in the right body positionBut 3

shepherd
08-08-2006, 07:43 PM
I wouldn't be afraid of them in the least. They'll release just fine.

Oh yeah, they released just fine for me a couple times when I was testing the Monza and System 8. I just didn't like the way they fit/felt - I was skiing better with the Wileys so that's what I stuck with.

MarkP
08-08-2006, 08:15 PM
I am just imagining UMP now in a pair of Leather capris working at the dealership! I'm NOT!!!!!!!!!!

shepherd
08-09-2006, 01:17 PM
I was just told that if you put "Monza Ski Test" in Google, this thread will be the first link at the top of the list. We're famous boys. :cool:

08-09-2006, 01:24 PM
WOW, did I miss out on some good fun here yesterday! Good laughs JR and Mark!:D NO luck yet hey shep? Bummer.... how bout putting it on sKi it again?

shepherd
08-09-2006, 01:26 PM
I haven't really been trying too hard to sell it UMP. I'm holding it for you! (j/k ;) ) I'll probably put it on the TMC marketplace, maybe eBay or Ski-it-again. Then again, I may just keep it for a while... :rolleyes:

6ballsisall
08-09-2006, 01:47 PM
But 3

Make me an offer........they need to go. The heat from the wife is getting uncomfortable. :D

Ric
08-09-2006, 01:53 PM
I haven't really been trying too hard to sell it UMP. I'm holding it for you! (j/k ;) ) I'll probably put it on the TMC marketplace, maybe eBay or Ski-it-again. Then again, I may just keep it for a while... :rolleyes: WELL I have not paid too close attention but in the back of my mind I thought ump was going to buy that ski from you(until he found a better offer?)

shepherd
08-09-2006, 02:37 PM
I think UMP has his heart set on a Monza. I guess I should have talked up the System 8 -- which is a super bad-a$$ slalom machine -- a little more.

JohnE
08-09-2006, 06:06 PM
Shepherd, check your pm's.

John

08-11-2006, 08:54 PM
Sniff sniff.....Smell that? it smells like a HO Monza.......:confused:

André
08-11-2006, 09:00 PM
Sniff sniff.....Smell that? it smells like a HO Monza.......:confused:
Got it yet?:confused:

MarkP