PDA

View Full Version : Overheating PLEASE HELP!!!!

Black Bandit
07-31-2006, 08:13 PM
I have an 02' X-Star and it has been working flawlessly until now. I have about 220 hrs on it and the other day I was full throttle back to the launch ramp trying to beat a storm when all of a sudden the temp with up to 3/4 of the way up to between 160 and 240 and and the check engine light came on and the boat started lunging. I shut it down let it cool then turned it over again and limped it in at 15mph back to the dock. The next day I got it home, checked the impeller, tranny fluid, and oil all were good. I hooked up the hose and ran the water thru the headers and out the exhaust and cranked it over and it took about 5 mins to overheat again. I don't know whats up, AnyBODY shed some light on this for me????? Please, I don't want to lose my summer waiting for service which is 4 weeks out! :confused:

Footin
07-31-2006, 08:52 PM
Check the intake and make sure nothing has clogged it.

bigmac
07-31-2006, 09:22 PM
Yeh, did you pull the raw water hose going into the tranny cooler? The screen on the intake side is the first trap for seaweed and such.

east tx skier
07-31-2006, 10:47 PM
Betcha that's it. If it is, get yourself a strainer from skidim. It's $40 well spent.

Tryin-again
07-31-2006, 10:50 PM
Tranny cooler. mine did the same...... pulling it got hot...... Cruising slow it cooled....... 10 minutes later it was clean .not a problem...

JimN
07-31-2006, 11:33 PM
"get yourself a strainer from skidim."

Or, just check it once in a while. The manual (if anyone actually reads it) says that the oil cooler should be checked every time the boat is taken out, IIRC. Sounds like this will be the first time in 220 hours of use.

Black Bandit
08-01-2006, 02:03 AM
I took it in for routine service at the beginning of this season so I don't know whats u, I'm planning on checking all these things this week thanks, please keep the suggestions coming!

LakePirate
08-01-2006, 09:58 AM
Thermostat. Same thing happened to the parents 02 Maristar 210

Take it out and see if that solves your issue, a cheap and easy troubleshooting fix.

If you don't want to run it w/o thermostat, take it out and put it in boiling water and see if it opens.

JimN
08-01-2006, 11:22 AM
If it's coming apart, why not just replace the thermostat?

LakePirate
08-01-2006, 11:34 AM
If it's coming apart, why not just replace the thermostat?

Obviously that would be the best practice, but in an attempt to avoid throwing parts at it, I would suggest testing it.

JimN
08-01-2006, 12:06 PM
I normally don't recommend the "shotgun method" either, but since it's a cheap part and it's an easy fix, I have done that for my cars and truck with good results whenever the temperature started to get flakey. Actually, I service the coolant every year and the thermostat is replaced at the same time. In a boat with no coolant to keep the corrosion to a minimum, I would replace it annually, too.

LakePirate
08-01-2006, 12:08 PM
I would think that, but according to the indmar manual it really doesn't even mention replacing it.

It has now been added to the annual maintenance routine.

JimN
08-01-2006, 12:14 PM
I haven't seen the Indmar manual for the Ford motors but it's not in the manuals for the GM motors, either. There are a lot of things that they assume will be done on the regular maintenance schedule and this is probably one of them. I would imagine a regular Ford manual would have the maintenance schedule in it but I don't have one.

bigmac
08-01-2006, 12:22 PM
Obviously that would be the best practice, but in an attempt to avoid throwing parts at it, I would suggest testing it.

My personal experience is that the behavior of a thermostat in a pan of boiling water does not necessarily duplicate its behavior in an engine. I learned that while spending a lot of time and aggravation trying to track down a cooling system problem on my I/O.

east tx skier
08-01-2006, 12:42 PM
I haven't seen the Indmar manual for the Ford motors but it's not in the manuals for the GM motors, either. There are a lot of things that they assume will be done on the regular maintenance schedule and this is probably one of them. I would imagine a regular Ford manual would have the maintenance schedule in it but I don't have one.

The beauty of the strainer is that you can look at it and see whether it needs to be rinsed off. If it does, you just unscrew the cap and dip the screen in the water. No unscrewing clamps and tugging on hoses. Since installing it, I check my transmission cooler when I winterize. No blockage whatsoever in two years. Without the strainer, regular checks of the t-cooler screen was a must. Lots of bits of aquatic vegetation in our lake gets sucked into the intake.

LakePirate
08-01-2006, 12:42 PM
I didn't either, I ran the thing with it removed and my running hot issue was resolved. (Can't say overheating as Erkle will fillet you and not offer you any help in the service dept and void your warranty in one fatal swoop)

PerryBpilot
08-09-2006, 09:47 PM
You've got to take the transmission cooler out and inspect it. Its a 20 to 20 minute job. When mine overheated I tried the dry dock hose run test, it overheated again. Flushed everything, checked the basics, overheated again.
I asked for suggestions here, listened, checked the tranny cooler and it was very clogged.
To this day I still cant believe water went through it until I ran it, then I guess the pressure of the clogging was enough to cause the overheat.
The skidim filter is another great idea, I will be adding one this winter.
Good luck!!!!:rolleyes: