PDA

View Full Version : Freshly Oiled Platform

WTRSK1R
07-31-2006, 04:59 PM
Just put 2 coats of Meguiars Teak Oil on my platform. Here is the platform on the ground. And one more on the boat.

Tryin-again
07-31-2006, 05:01 PM
Did you sand and refinish or just apply the oil....

It looks great... lots better than mine - I might refinish this winter....

captain planet
07-31-2006, 05:04 PM
Did you sand and refinish or just apply the oil....

It looks great... lots better than mine - I might refinish this winter....
If your platform is the same as on my 98, your in for a LOT of sanding if you choose to do so because of all the slats in the platform. The bright side is when it is done, it looks great.

Nice platform WTRSK1R

Tryin-again
07-31-2006, 05:07 PM
Yea...will be lots of sanding... Like I say will be a winter job....

WTRSK1R
07-31-2006, 05:41 PM
It is a brand spanking new platform, so no sanding was needed. The platform that came with the boat had a gouge in the back edge (from being moved around at the dealer) and the dealer just replaced it for me. I am hoping that if I keep it well oiled it will be less work in the long run. :D

cwright
08-01-2006, 06:27 PM
I've been using boiled linseed oil for the last two years. It seems to take overnight to set up, but once it does it stays on the wood longer. Always seemed to me that my teak oil was washing off. The finished gained is similar with linseed vs teak oil. My lesson learned is keep your linseed oil off of the gel coat and chrome pieces, it dries on it like finger nail polish and is stubborn. Has anyone had a bad experieince using linseed oil on their wood platforms?

Rixter_69
08-01-2006, 06:43 PM
I've been using boiled linseed oil for the last two years. It seems to take overnight to set up, but once it does it stays on the wood longer. Always seemed to me that my teak oil was washing off. The finished gained is similar with linseed vs teak oil. My lesson learned is keep your linseed oil off of the gel coat and chrome pieces, it dries on it like finger nail polish and is stubborn. Has anyone had a bad experieince using linseed oil on their wood platforms?

I've used the Linseed oil on all of my platforms and have never had a problem although it doesn't always have the same "golden" tone that the teak oils provide, but it does last for weeks between applications.

YES don't get it on the gelcoat - it is a B!$CH to get out.

Cheers,