PDA

View Full Version : V-drive Support Bracket Question

ChazC
07-31-2006, 03:36 PM
I have a 2005 Maristar 230 (and "yes" I absolutely LOVE it). Last week I hit a floating log that was big enough to stall my engine and bend my prop. I was able to get back to the dock with the typical rough ride associated with a bent prop. I have had the prop fixed but am still getting a rough ride. Not too severe but not the smooth MC ride I am use to.

Upon further inspection I can see that there is a very slight curve in the brace/bracket that holds the rod - right before the prop go on. To the naked eye the rod itself is straight as an arrow but being pulled slightly to one side by the bent bracket.

Unlike most of you - my local MC dealer has not instilled a lot of "trust" in me. We have had....shall I say...issues! When I called them to see if the bracket could be replaced I was told that "no - we need to replace the rod, too."

Maybe that's true - but to me it sure seems like we should examine the $300.00 repair before diving into the $1200.00 repair.

My question is this: IS it possible that I could replace JUST the bracket and all could be right with the world? Or - is it logical and correct to assume that I need to do both repairs and assume that just the bracket would not, in fact, be enough?

I'd appreciate any help and feedback I can get. Thanks.

TMCNo1
07-31-2006, 05:03 PM
See replys under "Team Talk Help".

JimN
07-31-2006, 05:59 PM
If you bent the prop, there's a high probablity that the shaft is bent, too. The shaft needs to come out to check it and there's not a good way to do it without removal. The strut can be replaced without replacing the shaft but that's not generally a good idea. There are a couple of parts suppliers (SkiDim, for one) who can sell replacements at decent prices and according to the others here, they know what they're dealing with. The naked eye isn't accurate enough to see if the propshaft is straight enough. The factory recommended tolerance is +/- .003" and there's no way to see that. The strut and shaft need to be aligned properly to keep wear to a minimum.

Is it possible to replace the strut without the shaft?- yes. Will all be right with the world? Probably not.

On the other hand, this is the kind of thing most boaters file an insurance claim on and at some point in their boating lives, they have hit something hard enough to damage the running gear. Check your policy and see what's covered, what the deductible is and talk to your agent. Ask questions in a way that they don't get the impression that you already hit something.