PDA

View Full Version : Covering a wet boat

Jimperry
07-30-2006, 10:34 PM
I'm considering geting a dehumidifier to put in my boat for when I have to cover it up while it is still wet. I hate to have to cover it when the carpet is wet but so many times I am forced to do it. Any suggestions?

6ballsisall
07-30-2006, 10:40 PM
If you get one please keep us updated how it works. I avoid doing this and will uncover half of the boat while I am home during the day and let some air and sun in there to dry it off. It would be nice to cover it, put a dehumidifier in there and not worry about it.

Workin' 4 Toys
07-30-2006, 10:52 PM
I believe woodworking stores sell LARGE bags ( I think enclosed is calcium chlor. but not sure) in which is suppose to remove moisture quickly. The concept is to keep wood shops humidity low to keep tools from rusting.
Sometimes so effective I hear, they have to keep pans under the bags because they drip from collecting so much moisture.
I have not tried this personnally, but when I was going to build a shop, several people gave me the idea.

JohnnyB
07-31-2006, 01:26 PM
I regularly put a 40pt dehumidifier in my boat, cover it, and let the dehumidifier run overnight.....works great.....wish I could find something a bit smaller. The "Happy's Air Dryer" I tried didn't do the trick.

Jwhitsett1129
08-08-2006, 04:10 PM
Bought a little canister a to put in my sailboat cabin a few years ago. After a week or so I checked the boat and the thing had collected so much moisture that it overflowed and was rendered worthless. This must have happened the first night I had it in there because the boat was still really moist and musty. I guess I can't really complain about the product, I mean it worked, it just worked too well.:o

chudson
08-08-2006, 04:35 PM
'
[I'm considering geting a dehumidifier to put in my boat for when I have to cover it up while it is still wet. I hate to have to cover it when the carpet is wet but so many times I am forced to do it. Any suggestions?]

How about a drain line coming out of the bottom of the dehumidifier resivoir going down under a slightly propped engine hood into the bilge and back to the boat drain hole.

ryangraham
08-30-2006, 12:54 AM
these are all great ideas because i deal with the same delima. While this will have to go to towards the bottom of my to-do list on the boat, I will cation folks against getting the boat too dry. Dehumidifiers and Chemical Dehumidifiers can dry somethings up too much causing cracking and/or splitting. Again, I think it's a good idea to dry out a boat, but overdrying can be bad.