PDA

View Full Version : Peek A Boo With Engine

Chief
07-30-2006, 09:36 PM
Being the maintenance conscience person I am (anal retentive my wife says) I figured it was time to replace the gaskets in my risers and exhaust manifolds (215 hrs). After many hours of fine filing the decks to ensure perfect flatness I installed gaskets, cleaned off all flaking rust on exhaust manifold elbows and painted the risers and exhaust manifolds with high temp paint (supposedly good to 700F) and looked great.

Saturday, ready for the water…………. Smelled something real funny crossing the lake and lifted the engine cover and real Smokey! I expected to see fire from all the smoke, but just all that nice high temp paint on the bottom of exhaust manifolds cooking off.

I didn’t need the boat too much on Saturday since I was wakeboarding behind a friends new MC so I let the boat sit pretty much all day. Sunday I went on the river and ran it at high speeds to burn all the paint off (wife standing by with fire extinguisher) , people look at you funny when smoke is billowing out when you lift engine cover….. Well the smoke is gone and now I just have to endure the smell while everything cooks in and the little black flakes from that great paint.

I guess the moral to the story is: Don’t paint those manifolds because it’s a waste of time! Unless you like playing “peek a boo” with your engine for hours while it all burns off anyway.

Workin' 4 Toys
07-30-2006, 10:28 PM
Ceramic coat them next time..;)

TMCNo1
07-31-2006, 10:25 AM
Or, High Temp powder coat them.