PDA

View Full Version : More Horsepower, 2001 330LTR

brainroll
07-30-2006, 01:28 PM
I am looking at getting more horsepower out of my 2001 Prostar 209 w/ the 330LTR. I have already went to a 13x11 and do not want to lose more top end. I run out of Reno, NV where the elevation runs from 4,200' at Pyramid to 6,200' at Tahoe. The boat does fine with a light load but with 9 people and fat sacs it struggles.

I have seached the threads and have found very little on adding horsepower. I am wondering if anyone has had any luck installing a larger throttle body or a computer programmer, or any other aftermarket add like new heads. Another option I have thought about is replacing the tranny w/ a power slot.

I had a 1985 w/ a 351 and it was very easy to modify. I put a larger carb, GT40 heads and MSD ignition and it ripped. I am just looking for the same performance with this larger boat.

Any Help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Brainroll

bigmac
07-30-2006, 02:47 PM
I am looking at getting more horsepower out of my 2001 Prostar 209 w/ the 330LTR. I have already went to a 13x11 and do not want to lose more top end. I run out of Reno, NV where the elevation runs from 4,200' at Pyramid to 6,200' at Tahoe. The boat does fine with a light load but with 9 people and fat sacs it struggles.

I have seached the threads and have found very little on adding horsepower. I am wondering if anyone has had any luck installing a larger throttle body or a computer programmer, or any other aftermarket add like new heads. Another option I have thought about is replacing the tranny w/ a power slot.

I had a 1985 w/ a 351 and it was very easy to modify. I put a larger carb, GT40 heads and MSD ignition and it ripped. I am just looking for the same performance with this larger boat.

With your carbed 351, changing the A/F curves was as simple as new carb, new jets. The problem I see with increasing the breathing on an open loop EFI engine is finding the appropriate A/F mapping for the new air flow necessary for the new mods, whether it be new heads, new rollers, new cam - etc etc., and then being able to actually hook your laptop up to it, with the appropriate software, in order to actually re-flash the ECU.

AFAIK, there is no off-the-shelf solution relative to reprogramming your EFI computer to accomodate any engine mods. A custom engine shop might be able to do it...

brainroll
07-30-2006, 02:58 PM
That is what I expected to hear. I just wanted to gain back the horsepower lost from the altitude. It runs awesome in CA at Oroville and Shasta. I will probably have the local prop guy shave the prop. I will lose a little more top speep but I would much prefer a better hole shot.

ted shred
07-30-2006, 03:24 PM
Changing to a Powerslot will give you the hole shot that you need.

TMCNo1
07-30-2006, 03:40 PM
New transmission, new coupler, new packing nut, new stuffing, new shaft, new strut, new prop, prop nut, plus someones labor = $ BUCKS $! Go for it!

east tx skier
07-30-2006, 06:14 PM
What about ETX manifolds?

6ballsisall
07-30-2006, 06:17 PM
For the money you'll put into it to add HP you could have upgraded boats. THe only cheap upgrade would be a CNC prop that might be slightly tweaked to your liking.