PDA

View Full Version : Pulling your Prop..........

akalenny
07-29-2006, 01:03 AM
Ok, I dented my prop.......needed to pull it, here is my experience.....

Went to the local boat repair shop, borrowed a prop puller, didn't want to spend 80 bucks on a new one. Listened to the guy on how to use it, he said keep on wrenching on the puller until the prop comes off, little did I know that while using this device it is easy to bunger up your threads on the drive shaft, so after I filed down the bungered up threads on my drive shaft I tried it again, this time I used the nut half of which was hanging off the drive shaft as a keeper for the prop puller, this worked and after struggling with a breaker bar, I finally got the prop of with a loud thud as it released..........Now, this is what I learned after talking to the Prop guys at the Prop shop, the ones who straightened the prop. Put the prop puller on and tighten if down as tight as you can get it, Stop, now go to the back of the prop puller, behind your prop and whack on it with a hammer, bam, its off, no bungering up your threads, this is what the guys do that do it all the time, in fact, they told me that there prop puller is all mangled from hitting it with a hammer all the time to get it off. I hope this helps some of you, good luck. They charged me 110 to straighten and balance my prop.

TMCNo1
07-29-2006, 10:32 AM
Remember that on the other end of the prop shaft is the transmission and banging on the prop puller or the prop nut with a hammer could do damage to the transmission. The guys that do this all the time are also the guys that replace or rebuild transmissions for a living too and any damage from the beating could be a future repair job for them and the dealership.
On tapered shafts when removing the prop with a prop puller and after a period of time and it will not come off, spray the shaft and hub with some WD-40 and heat the HUB of the prop up with a hair dryer on high or a heat gun on med. or low heat and the hub will expand enough to release from the taper and pop off. Only back the prop nut away from the hub 3 or 4 turns to keep all the stuff from flying off when the prop does release.

east tx skier
07-29-2006, 10:57 AM
If you want to use a hammer, for about $30 bucks, you could could get a harmonic prop puller. You don't have to hit it as hard.

I've never had much trouble getting mine off with the regular puller though. Just loosen the nut almost all the way and tighten the puller. Prop pops right off with no hammer. I've seen my local shop use a hammer, but they used it on a 2x4 that was behind the hub to loosen things up.

One very important thing is to pull your safety lanyard/kill switch before you start pulling on your prop just in case you give it enough turn to somehow torque start the engine.

Ric
07-29-2006, 10:58 AM
I prefer to not discuss pulling my prop in public

east tx skier
07-29-2006, 11:01 AM
I feel you're just spinning your wheels at this point.

http://www.seattlednb.com/forum/images/smilies/iconmonkeydance.gif

ebayseller1987
07-31-2006, 04:44 AM
Remember that on the other end of the prop shaft is the transmission and banging on the prop puller or the prop nut with a hammer could do damage to the transmission. The guys that do this all the time are also the guys that replace or rebuild transmissions for a living too and any damage from the beating could be a future repair job for them and the dealership.
On tapered shafts when removing the prop with a prop puller and after a period of time and it will not come off, spray the shaft and hub with some WD-40 and heat the HUB of the prop up with a hair dryer on high or a heat gun on med. or low heat and the hub will expand enough to release from the taper and pop off. Only back the prop nut away from the hub 3 or 4 turns to keep all the stuff from flying off when the prop does release.

this is similiar to pulling a pitman arm on a steering gear with a puller. you are not supposed to hit it with a 5lb sledge but tap with a hammer quickly and lightly. besides if the tranny can't take a few taps then how can it handle the thrust from the prop moving through the water.

Farmer Ted
07-31-2006, 09:22 AM
Like Doug said, ACME sells a harmonic prop puller. It's basically just a huge nut that you screw on and whack a few times with a hammer.

It helps to spray some break free