PDA

View Full Version : Trailer light problem

Mikey
07-28-2006, 02:53 PM
OK here is the problem, my brake lights an blinkers work fine until I turn the headlights on. When headlights are on and I hit the blinker or the brakes every damn light on the trailer (right and left side) start blinking. I know very little about electrical wiring and am hoping someone can give me some advice.

sanjuan23
07-28-2006, 02:55 PM
Check your ground on your trailer, mine did the same thing but would all of them would come on when I stepped on the brakes but not the break lights.

TMCNo1
07-28-2006, 03:07 PM
It's the ground! Just hooked mine up without the ground and WallAh! Lights will do crazy things, especially when the you have a weak ground. I thought when I changed my trailer tongue over when I installed disc brakes, that I could use the tongue to ball conection as a ground as before and I wound up with a blinking Xmas tree. Ran a dedicated ground from the trailer to the Van and all is well after 9 years.
Run a test ground with a piece of wire stripped on each end from raw metal on the trailer and to raw metal on the tow vehicle and see what happens!

Mikey
07-28-2006, 10:20 PM
Thanks TMC1 I will give it a try in the A.M.