PDA

View Full Version : Bunk Carpeting - where to buy

JohnnyB
07-27-2006, 08:05 PM
Any recommendation on where to buy bunk carpeting???

I'm going to redo my bunk carpeting over my vacation....with the boat being in the water for 10days, this is the time I do my brake bleeding and other trailer maintenance.

Got the pneumatic stapler and galvanized staples....any recommendation on where to by bunk carpeting???

slink976
07-27-2006, 08:18 PM
umm just throwing this out there,
Home Death Spot (home depot for you home gamers)
and a marine supply store.
I would go to the death spot first before paying the marine tariff

robisjo
07-27-2006, 08:25 PM
Check your local upholstery shop. Many times they have scraps of marine carpet that will work for bunks. I did that the last time I redid my bunks. Usually they don't charge you much especially if they have done work for you in the past.

east tx skier
07-27-2006, 11:36 PM
Olefin marine carpet from Lowes or Home Depot. It comes in six foot wide rolls, which seems like too much at first. But if you cut one set of strips for the top and sides of the bunk and another set to wrap around the bunks over that, it will be the right amount. My bunks are 12' long. Probably went 14' on the carpet.

I'd go with stainless staples.

JohnnyB
07-29-2006, 06:46 PM
I'd go with stainless staples.

Am having a hard time finding these....

6ballsisall
07-29-2006, 06:52 PM

I've seen them at Lowes and Home Depot in our area. Might ask someone there

east tx skier
07-29-2006, 07:08 PM
It should be on a big roll next to all sorts of other types of carpet. In our Lowe's it's all the way to the back. At Home Depot, it's on an aisle.

Ric
07-30-2006, 12:10 AM
ask for monel staples
that is how they are sold

Crash
07-30-2006, 12:33 AM
Just helped my neighbor change his tonight. He picked his up at Lowes. Brown was 1/4 the price of black, which is what he wanted. My STRONG recommendation is to remove the bunks first before recarpeting!

xsvfooter
08-02-2006, 11:58 AM
Depending on the age of your trailer, you may need to replace the bunk boards. I replaced two of mine when I recarpeted my bunk a couple of years ago. I just used the old boards as a template.

SD190EVO
08-02-2006, 12:12 PM
I was just at Bass Pro the day before yesterday and they had a bunch of rolls of bunk carpet. Most dealers will have big rolls of the stuff you can get by the foot too.

JDK
08-02-2006, 12:23 PM
If you buy it at Home Death spot or Lowes, get them to cut it into the exact width strips you need. Their machine will do this, and they don't charge for it.

sanjuan23
08-02-2006, 12:40 PM
I just replaced mine on Saturday what a pain in the rear.
1-Couldnt find monel staples anywhere
2-Home Depot (Home Dips*&%) told me they could only cut across the 6' sections.:mad:
3-Cant remove the carriage bolts from the front V without breaking the composite material:mad: Still dont know what to do about this
3.5-Center roller is a 10" roller I bought the wrong size shaft and no one with in a few minutes drive had one so I had to go with the wrong size until I can locate the correct size.
4-MAJOR SUGGESTION! Remove the bunks from the trailer and replace that way. I banged my head several times, shins on more than one occassion and it was hot, dam hot!

east tx skier
08-02-2006, 01:34 PM
I just replaced mine on Saturday what a pain in the rear.
1-Couldnt find monel staples anywhere
2-Home Depot (Home Dips*&%) told me they could only cut across the 6' sections.:mad:
3-Cant remove the carriage bolts from the front V without breaking the composite material:mad: Still dont know what to do about this
3.5-Center roller is a 10" roller I bought the wrong size shaft and no one with in a few minutes drive had one so I had to go with the wrong size until I can locate the correct size.
4-MAJOR SUGGESTION! Remove the bunks from the trailer and replace that way. I banged my head several times, shins on more than one occassion and it was hot, dam hot!

1. I used arrow SS staples and was fine.
2. If you're double wrapping, 6' x 14' or so turns out to be just about the right amount.
3. Lose the composite junk. It will eventually crack, tear up the carpet, and jack up your hull. Go with wood.
3.5. I used my original shaft with the new roller. Worked like a charm.
4. That's how I did it, but I was replacing my bunks as well. Not the easiest task gettin the right twist back in. Got to get the new holes drilled just right. Suggest using two nuts over lock washers instead of nylock so you don't end up with spinning carriage bolts.

Ric
08-02-2006, 01:39 PM
umm just throwing this out there,
Home Death Spot (home depot for you home gamers)
and a marine supply store.
I would go to the death spot first before paying the marine tariff why do you call it home death spot? what is the significance? :confused:

sanjuan23
08-02-2006, 01:43 PM
1. I used arrow SS staples and was fine.
2. If you're double wrapping, 6' x 14' or so turns out to be just about the right amount.
3. Lose the composite junk. It will eventually crack, tear up the carpet, and jack up your hull. Go with wood.
3.5. I used my original shaft with the new roller. Worked like a charm.
4. That's how I did it, but I was replacing my bunks as well. Not the easiest task gettin the right twist back in. Got to get the new holes drilled just right. Suggest using two nuts over lock washers instead of nylock so you don't end up with spinning carriage bolts.

Okay good idea with the wood didnt even think about it was trying to get out of the sun and into the water as quick as I knew how. The orignal shaft was so bent I couldnt get it straightened. But I will say this it sure was nice knowing that the job was done and the boat was not sitting on a bare bunk. :eek: Carpet and Staples gave out the last time I put the boat on the trailer

vogelm1
07-12-2007, 06:31 PM
I picked up some bunk carpet at Home Depot last night and wondering now, after the fact, if I got the right stuff. It's the Olefin grade carpet but it didn't say Marine specifically as stated in earlier posts. However, the picture showed it installed alongside a pool. This has more of a berber texture as opposed to the wooley/fuzzy stuff you normally see. I'm planning to use it anyway, but wondering if this is the same as you guys used ^^^^?:confused:

Slinkyredfoot
07-12-2007, 07:01 PM

Arrow stainless steel staples 3/8" T50 that work great in the T50 staple gun, got them either at Lowes or Menards

vogelm1
07-12-2007, 09:26 PM
Arrow stainless steel staples 3/8" T50 that work great in the T50 staple gun, got them either at Lowes or Menards

Good deal, that's one thing I purchased right anyway. Also picked up an electric stapler, so the job should hopefully go quicker.

bowtie355
07-13-2007, 10:45 AM
The original bumper carpet on my '85 MC looks to be different than what I seen out there. It would be nice to find where to get the original carpet.

east tx skier
07-13-2007, 11:15 AM
I picked up some bunk carpet at Home Depot last night and wondering now, after the fact, if I got the right stuff. It's the Olefin grade carpet but it didn't say Marine specifically as stated in earlier posts. However, the picture showed it installed alongside a pool. This has more of a berber texture as opposed to the wooley/fuzzy stuff you normally see. I'm planning to use it anyway, but wondering if this is the same as you guys used ^^^^?:confused:

That's a different style of outdoor olefin. There is a grey and a brown olefin marine carpet that is fluffier. They should have a sample board next to the rolls.

Here are my bunks right after I replaced them and recarpeted.

vogelm1
07-13-2007, 12:48 PM
Thanks East - yeah, that is the stuff I should have bought, crap. I didn't see that style anywhere in the store - maybe they just didn't carry it here in little 'ol northern WI. Anybody need a 14' piece of Olefin berber?:o

I'll have to pick up a new chunk when I get to a different store.

wsrobert
07-17-2007, 09:10 PM
Not sure what you guys were paying, but I bought mine at www.westmarine.com (actually at a local west marine store) and paid $25 for 11"w x 12'l. It is however, very good quality thick bunk carpet.

JohnnyB
07-17-2007, 09:32 PM
That's $2/sq foot. That's probably the square yard price if you buy it off the role at a home store.:D

vogelm1
07-17-2007, 11:05 PM
Not sure what you guys were paying, but I bought mine at www.westmarine.com (actually at a local west marine store) and paid $25 for 11"w x 12'l. It is however, very good quality thick bunk carpet.

The wrong stuff I bought came off the 12 foot roll...I got a 14 foot running length thinking I'd have extra incase I needed to patch a bunk down the road. Was like $48. Looks like I'll need to throw another $48 out to get the right stuff - would have been better off buying the carpet from West Marine the way I went about it!! :D

Hoosier Bob
07-18-2007, 11:30 PM
Any one tried the glides? I saw them at West Marine. They attach over the bunks. May be too slippery but may not? They look cool and anything that allows the boat to ride up a bit easier cannot be all that bad.:o

east tx skier
07-19-2007, 11:22 AM
Any one tried the glides? I saw them at West Marine. They attach over the bunks. May be too slippery but may not? They look cool and anything that allows the boat to ride up a bit easier cannot be all that bad.:o

I think Ric had that temporarily. ;)

h2oskiluvr
07-31-2007, 10:42 AM
I have a 2005 PS 197 and I want to replace all the carpet on the bunks. What are the lengths of the four bunks? There are the back two long ones and the front two shorter ones. I am going to the marine store today to buy carpet but I am not sure how much I need to buy. Thanks in advance!

vogelm1
07-31-2007, 06:43 PM
The longer bunks are 8', so you'll need the running length to be probably 9' or more so you have enough to overlap and wrap it around the bottom.

CBergerson
07-31-2007, 07:55 PM
The longer bunks are 8', so you'll need the running length to be probably 9' or more so you have enough to overlap and wrap it around the bottom.

My longer bunks are slightly over 12'. The shorter ones are about 8'. 2003 197.

CBergerson
07-31-2007, 07:55 PM

My longer bunks are slightly over 12'.