PDA

View Full Version : Best/Worst TV Coverage of Race?

Stritt
11-03-2004, 01:23 PM
Who do you feel/think had the best and worst coverage of the race last night?

I will start. MSNBC I appreciate the board of panelist they put together. Equally split among party lines. Chris Matthews, has always seemed fair and direct on the issues. I know he is a democrat at heart, but he is fair.

CBS news was my worst. Dan Rather almost seemed mad that Bush won Ohio and it was being called by Fox and NBC. Rather, unlike Matthews cannot hide his views.

Ric
11-03-2004, 01:24 PM
Rather is DONE

east tx skier
11-03-2004, 01:29 PM
Given what happened four years ago, I don't fault CBS, ABC, or CNN for not calling Ohio too soon. In fact, I respect the philosophy of we'd rather be last than wrong. I didn't have a problem with any of the coverage from any of the networks although I preferred the electoral maps to CNNs table. Much easier on the eyes. I'm waiting for someone to shout liberal media. I, however, think the problem is often lazy media.

Glad the election isn't going to drag out. Glad it's not predicted to freeze here in the next two weeks either.

wakescene
11-03-2004, 01:37 PM
What I found interesting was that all during the evening till at least 1am EST that none of the networks had matching Electorial Votes listed on your TV screen. Some were waaaay off others were close, but none matched.

I understand that they are giving projections but some consistency would have been nice as I like to jump around when a station begins to get boring on the commentary.

east tx skier
11-03-2004, 01:41 PM
I found that weird, too. The reason for it was, of course, the way it went four years ago. All of the election desk folks were locked away in their rooms with no access to other networks or people. Pretty good way to avoid jumping on another networks "breaking news."

Stritt
11-03-2004, 01:47 PM
I agree, I really believed this would not be over today, I was convince we would have a legal battle.

I did not want to watch FOX News for one reason, I wanted to hear a more objective view. MSNBC seems to have a fairly good mix for my taste. Ohio was very close, but as of 1am 97% reporting with moderate/heavy Republican counties left. I understand the Provisional ballot viewpoint, but the math did not add up. With that said, I believe John Kerry made the RIGHT choice not to concede. After the count went to 99% and less provisionals than original thought, he made the right choice to concede.

So, with Bush winning the Electorate and Popular vote, can America come together moreso than 2000? I'm afraid the issues are so divisive that we won't.

Second happiest moment for this Republican? SD Daschel is out. New leadership in the senate minority leadership may......be a good thing.

Biggest dis-appoitment for the Democrat base in my opionion was the lack of turnout of the 'younger' voter. This suprised me, and honestly, was disappointing, regardless of their viewpoints.

east tx skier
11-03-2004, 01:55 PM
If for no better reason not to concede, think about the money spent in this Presidential election. It's sickening. Did I hear right --- nearly $4B. I'd be waiting for the final count, too.

Remembering what seemed a more moderate Governor Bush, over the next four years, it'll be interesting to see whether he was once moderate and has moved steadily rightward, or whether he has been appealing to his base in an attempt to win re-election, and will prove to be a moderate in his second term. Whichever way it happens, in the next four years, we will see the real George Bush. Or maybe he wasn't all that moderate as a Governor and I'm just too young to remember. It's a possibility.

captkidd
11-03-2004, 03:10 PM
Darn. I thought this thread was going to be about NASCAR.

east tx skier
11-03-2004, 03:32 PM
...because we've been going around in circles since this campaign began.

/thought they only turned left in NASCAR

Stritt
11-03-2004, 03:54 PM
America's conservative base showed up and made their voice clear. It would have been interesting if Ohio did note have the admendment to allow "gay marriage" on the ballot what the results would have been. It was very interesting last night looking at county by county results in Ohio and Florida to see the political makeup of the large cities vs rural America.

east tx skier
11-03-2004, 05:50 PM
90% of both candidates' base got out and voted. Rove et al mobilized something like 1,000 evangelical Christian congregations in Ohio during the the closing days of the campaign. I think you're right about the "gay marriage" ban on the ballot.

But the credit for the election has to go to Rove. Like him or not, if you want to win an election, and you don't care how you get there, he's your guy. But dirty campaign tactics have historically come with the deal; just ask McCain. No doubt, he's been thinking about Ohio and Florida since 2000.

But to quote an actor who likes to play the President on the big and the little screen, but who wasn't playing the President when he said this line ...

"I don't go to bed with no whore, and I don't wake up with no whore. That's how I live with myself."

jimmer2880
11-04-2004, 07:33 AM
Remembering what seemed a more moderate Governor Bush, over the next four years, it'll be interesting to see whether he was once moderate and has moved steadily rightward, or whether he has been appealing to his base in an attempt to win re-election, and will prove to be a moderate in his second term. Whichever way it happens, in the next four years, we will see the real George Bush. Or maybe he wasn't all that moderate as a Governor and I'm just too young to remember. It's a possibility.
I also feel that W has done too many things for what I can only think was re-election hopes. Amnesty to millions of illegals (hispanic vote) is one.