PDA

View Full Version : I received a questionable check...

bcampbe7
07-27-2006, 01:48 PM
I received a check for something I sold online and I am not sure if it is real.
Can my bank tell me if it is real, or will I have to wait 7-10 days for it to clear?

The check says,
Sky Bank Salineville, Oh.
Traveler's Express Company Inc.

captain planet
07-27-2006, 01:53 PM
What do you have a question about?

bcampbe7
07-27-2006, 01:57 PM
http://www.fdic.gov/news/news/SpecialAlert/2005/sa3605.html

LakePirate
07-27-2006, 02:01 PM
Have you already deposited it?

bcampbe7
07-27-2006, 02:08 PM
No, I just got it in the mail today.
The buyer overnighted it to me. The check has the routing number described in that link!

I am going to deposit it and wait till it clears my bank before shippng the items out. If the buyer takes issue with that so be it.

LakePirate
07-27-2006, 02:10 PM
Do you bank at a community bank or a national bank?

bcampbe7
07-27-2006, 02:39 PM
I contacted Sky Bank and they verified that a check for the amount was issued.

I am still going to wait for it to clear my account before I send the items out.

Mag_Red
07-27-2006, 03:05 PM
I would too Beau. Smart thinkin'

jlf
07-28-2006, 08:21 AM
My mother-in-law works at a small credit union and they can verify more than that. If you take it to your bank before you actully deposit it they should be able to tell you if it is a legitimate check or not. If you deposit it into your account and it doesn't clear you are charged the fees and you are responsible to cover the check. Tell them what you posted here and why you are concerned and they should be able to help you out and I would hold all goods until the money is in your account.

TMCNo1
07-28-2006, 10:51 AM
Had a simular situation, and my bank said the check was good when they called the bank it was written on for authenticity and sufficient funds, so they said they would cash it and I could deposit the cash money into my account, worked for me!

bcampbe7
07-28-2006, 11:02 AM
Had a simular situation, and my bank said the check was good when they called the bank it was written on for authenticity and sufficient funds, so they said they would cash it and I could deposit the cash money into my account, worked for me!

I was going to do this but even if you cash the check and it turns out to be fake, your bank will take the money out of your account. I would be responsible for the funds.:mad:

I contacted the buyer and explained that I will have to wait for the check to clear my bank before I sent the items, which could take 7 days. He wasn't too happy about it because he is going to be out of town at the same time as the items would arrive at his house. I informed the buyer that I would wait to send the items to insure that someone would be home. He wasn't made at me and understood my concern, but was upset that he spent the time and money to have his bank write the check rather than write a personal check. Haven't heard back from them since that email.