PDA

View Full Version : Can I still get factory mix gelcoat for my '89 Barefoot 190?

viabill
07-27-2006, 09:57 AM
I'd like to get about a quart of factory mix gelcoat for my '89 B/F 190 (TriStar) to repair some very minor scratches. The color scheme is Platinum Grey, and I only need the grey gelcoat, not the black.
Does anyone know how I would go about finding someone who sells this? and how much$$?

sanjuan23
07-27-2006, 09:58 AM
Possibly www.mymastercraft.com

east tx skier
07-27-2006, 10:05 AM
Here you go.

MasterCraft Gel Coat (http://spectrumcolor.com/catalog.htm)

Click "Gel Coat Products," then "MasterCraft.

JimN
07-27-2006, 10:08 AM
Gelcoat has a shelf life of about a year, so keep that in mind when you order it.

east tx skier
07-27-2006, 10:12 AM
Jim, just looking through the spectrum catalog, is the Red that goes through 1992 the same as for 1993. Don't see the 1993-1994 red listed. Appears the same on the boats I've seen.

JimN
07-27-2006, 11:00 AM
That's a question for Spectrum. If there's a difference, it'll be in their formula, which they should be able to access. The problem that I can see occurring is a "mismatch' due to the original gel fading more or less, depending on the color. Blue and red being the ones that fade the most. That's the reason I would always tell customers that the gel coat color wouldn't necessarily be a perfect match. Much easier on clean hulls and decks when it was grey, black, oyster or glacier white. I really like the emerald but I have seen some of those that really faded badly. Other than that, those boats were immaculate.

viabill
07-27-2006, 12:30 PM
Thanks East TX Skier! It's amazing what you can get if you know where to go. I was all prepared to sweat thru trying to mix the color myself, knowing I wouldnever get it right.

east tx skier
07-27-2006, 12:39 PM
That's a question for Spectrum. If there's a difference, it'll be in their formula, which they should be able to access. The problem that I can see occurring is a "mismatch' due to the original gel fading more or less, depending on the color. Blue and red being the ones that fade the most. That's the reason I would always tell customers that the gel coat color wouldn't necessarily be a perfect match. Much easier on clean hulls and decks when it was grey, black, oyster or glacier white. I really like the emerald but I have seen some of those that really faded badly. Other than that, those boats were immaculate.

Gotcha. I have a little spot I need to get resprayed, but it's white. From past experience with my father-in-law's boat, I'm tempted to let the guy we use just match it. The last time we went that route, we had unbelievable "invisible" results.