PDA

View Full Version : how cool is this

BradD
07-27-2006, 02:01 AM
I'm in the lobby of Mandalay Bay and I see a guy carrying a slalom ski. Naturally, I introduce myself as a fellow slalom skier and ask where he is skiing. He says, "you're a skier, you're getting a business card, you need to ski in paradise". I say, "Acapulco?", his wife answers yes. I say "Like Gordon Rathbuns place?" and he says "I'm Gordon Rathbun".

How frickin cool is that. He's driving 2 hours from Vegas for a tournament. My business associates witnessed this exchange and where curious. I explained that my dream is to someday ski at that guys incredible ski site...that i've seen in Water ski magazine for years.

If my meetings tomorrow tank, at least I met Gordon Rathbun.

John B
07-27-2006, 03:55 AM
Was he on way out to WetSet for the Western Regionals?

Upper Michigan Prostar190
07-27-2006, 08:49 AM
Thats way too cool man! I would love to ski at his place too. Maybe someday!:D Cool story, thanks for posting!

shepherd
07-27-2006, 09:04 AM
Too bad the card he handed you wasn't a 25% off discount card :rolleyes:

chudson
07-27-2006, 03:36 PM
That's great! Have you seen him in Warren Millers latest? Miller finally thaws it out and shows some warm water fun!

east tx skier
07-27-2006, 03:42 PM
Finally saw that segment in Impact. Good work. Sadly, I think that's the last true Warren Miller project as his company was bought out if I remember correctly. The new stuff supposedly (don't quote me) has a lot of product placement just isn't the same as the old stuff although I believe he still does some of the voice over.

Datdude
07-27-2006, 04:14 PM
Finally saw that segment in Impact. Good work. Sadly, I think that's the last true Warren Miller project as his company was bought out if I remember correctly. The new stuff supposedly (don't quote me) has a lot of product placement just isn't the same as the old stuff although I believe he still does some of the voice over.

I am not sure of the name of the last Warren Miller movie I saw but it was not very good. Some guy was driving around in a Nissan X Terra. I have "Steep and Deep" from 1986 and it is classic Warren Miller:D

east tx skier
07-27-2006, 04:23 PM
I would love to watch some of the old ones again. I believe the newest one that you're talking about is Higher Ground.

The one with Gordon, Mapple et al. is Impact.

SkiDog
07-27-2006, 04:56 PM
I would love to watch some of the old ones again. I believe the newest one that you're talking about is Higher Ground.

The one with Gordon, Mapple et al. is Impact.

I, too, have the Steep & Deep. What a great flick! I also have about 10 of his other movies, and they are all classic Warren Miller. This guy is a genius behind the camera! Haven't seen the new one yet. How much water skiing is in it?

east tx skier
07-27-2006, 04:58 PM
It's the one he shot in 2004 or so. It's called Impact. For all the film they shot at Ski Paradise, the segment is only 5 minutes. But it's cool nonetheless.