PDA

View Full Version : Shoe Skis

MasterCrafting
11-02-2004, 05:37 PM
Does anyone still shoe ski? I've noticed that no one even mentions shoe skiing anymore maybe because it beyond old school. I had a pair at the old lake house but when we lost it they went with it.The closest thing that is still made are those "barefoot international foot skis" I decided that its in need of a comeback so i went on ebay and tried to find a decent pair. I found a pair but the price was way to high so i went downstairs to the workshop and got out a piece of plywood and cut out my own. I'll post a pic as soon as i'm done varnishing them.

*when using a saber saw make sure you fallow the line...I'm still learning that stuff maybe i should have had my dad do it* :o

Rockman
11-02-2004, 06:46 PM
I use my Jeff Spicoli specials when doing back deeps in the spring.

Scarpa's shoes skis I used when skiing with Paul Stokes this summer. Those were good as they came off easily when you would fall.

I heard some nasty stories about other brands not coming off when people fell and those stories I will not repeat! :eek:

Let me know how they come out. Make sure you round the fronts up though! :D

JEREMY79
11-02-2004, 09:07 PM
dont know if its the same but i took an old pair of wakeboard bindings and cut a piece of plywood a little larger than them. great fun if your legs to go apart quickly :eek:

Laurel_Lake_Skier
11-02-2004, 10:05 PM
I've got two pair, one I bought on eBay a year or so ago....the sellers seemed to sell one pair and then list another. They must have bought out some old stock or something. I just kept putting in the minimum bid and eventually got the pair for $20. Also have some for practicing new barefoot stuff, they are the barefoot international models and seem to work OK. I have used some of Scarpa's and like them a bit better but can't see spending the $ for another set.

The orignal shoe skis are good fun and most people can get the hang of them pretty quickly when starting off a knee board.

MasterCrafting
11-02-2004, 11:03 PM
we had a pair of the "Hydro-Flite" shoe skis if anyone has a pair they dont want i'd be very interested.

ShawnE
11-03-2004, 06:26 PM
We've been shoe skiing for years on High falls flowage.
I bought a pair of blanks from the Ski-Hut in Crivitz for $24.00 and put some old Cypress Gardens adjustable bindings on them.

My son deepwaters on one for fun sometimes, and can go backwards
as well. Folks on the beach love to watch the shoe skier rounding a corner with one foot in the air, wavin' to the crowd!

Try the canoe paddle or a saucer for some old school fun!

stevo137
11-03-2004, 06:59 PM
I mentioned these on an earlier post. It's great to see that someone remembers them. I never tried them but knew a guy that could trick on them like you have never seen.
He would mount them on an old CG slalom and just kick the ski and away he went helicopters and all!

MasterCrafting
11-03-2004, 07:30 PM
I did alittle canoe paddling this year and the saucer is coming down from the attic for next season.

I cant beleave they sold all that land in crivitz. I saw billboards in chicago for the land auction we were going to go but decided once you put a house on one of those lots you were looking at about half a million bucks. High Falls will never be the same...odds are we will be there next year though.

martho
11-03-2004, 09:36 PM
Shoe skis are great training aids. It is nice to slow down the boat speed to work on new tricks and to also work on form. I spent alot of time on my Scarpa's this year. Next year, I am going to get his cutdowns.

Many of the training sessions I have attended or heard from others all had shoe skis. Everytime I have been with Scarpa, he really encourages you to use them.

sfitzgerald351
11-03-2004, 10:03 PM
Try the canoe paddle or a saucer for some old school fun!

Uh, is there a stupid human trick involving a boat and the above mentioned devices? If so let's have some details because I'm adding these to my (long) list of things to tow behind the boat! :D

MasterCrafting
11-04-2004, 12:11 AM
sfitz...theres so many things you need to do behind that thing...its like you've never been to a ski show. If you havent go see one and watch how they do things and get some good ideas.

bfinley
11-04-2004, 08:02 AM
Mastercrafting - what's the story on the Auction in Crivitz. I live near Madison and have been looking for a place up North.

Brandon

tex
11-04-2004, 09:14 AM
Does anyone still shoe ski? I've noticed that no one even mentions shoe skiing anymore maybe because it beyond old school. I had a pair at the old lake house but when we lost it they went with it.The closest thing that is still made are those "barefoot international foot skis" I decided that its in need of a comeback so i went on ebay and tried to find a decent pair. I found a pair but the price was way to high so i went downstairs to the workshop and got out a piece of plywood and cut out my own. I'll post a pic as soon as i'm done varnishing them.

*when using a saber saw make sure you fallow the line...I'm still learning that stuff maybe i should have had my dad do it* :o

i have a pair and am waiting on a new set! they are a blast to ride! great for training. helis on the jump are fun!

tex
11-04-2004, 09:17 AM
I use my Jeff Spicoli specials when doing back deeps in the spring.

Scarpa's shoes skis I used when skiing with Paul Stokes this summer. Those were good as they came off easily when you would fall.

I heard some nasty stories about other brands not coming off when people fell and those stories I will not repeat! :eek:

Let me know how they come out. Make sure you round the fronts up though! :D

Rockman-Are you friends with the Stokeman, or did you just take some lessons. I spoke to him yesterday. i think he misses the Texas winters!

east tx skier
11-04-2004, 11:22 AM
We bought some on ebay last year, too. At the time, they seemed to be all over the place, but I think whoever said it was probably the same guy was right. Got a bunch of free stuff with them if I recall.

Rockman
11-04-2004, 01:10 PM
Tex,

I met Paul a few times and then took lessons with him and a few friends up in Wisconsin this past spring/summer. It was a great time. I like his style and the way he teaches.

I had the pleasure of driving him at the end of the day to show us how he "does it." Since I was the only one in the boat (BF200) that owned a BF200 and really knew how to drive someone at his level, I was the chosen one :banana: . Great experience! Nice guy!

tex
11-04-2004, 01:20 PM
I know Paul from his old show skiing days. Everyone who I talk to who has taken lessons say exactly the same thing about him. Great guy and an incredible coach. He can teach all levels great. He is a great guy to kick back with and have some beers and tell some skiing stories. He markets for vortex/ten 80 wet suits. They are all top quality!

MasterCrafting
03-26-2005, 06:16 PM
I finally finished them. It took me most of the winter cause i'm really lazy. I'll post a pic in a few mins...

MasterCrafting
03-26-2005, 06:22 PM
Here they are...I hope they work!

André
03-26-2005, 06:36 PM
Looking Good!
Were You Able To Curve Them A Bit?

jjsosnowski
03-26-2005, 07:37 PM
I had barefoot international shoe skis until I skied with kieth st. onge. He uses extreme footers sold on barefoot central. I tried them and now own a pair. Gave my barefoot international shoe skies away. The base is to rigid. On the extreme footers you can feel the water better.

aprgriggs
03-28-2005, 06:19 PM
ok, are these the same as a trick ski? I have always wanted to try trick ski but I have never had the oppertunity.

AirJunky
03-28-2005, 06:21 PM
ok, are these the same as a trick ski? I have always wanted to try trick ski but I have never had the oppertunity.
Shoe skis are a tiny ski just a bit longer than the binding, used for barefoot training.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=23808&item=7142490969&rd=1&ssPageName=WD1V

aprgriggs
03-28-2005, 11:13 PM
Shoe skis are a tiny ski just a bit longer than the binding, used for barefoot training.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=23808&item=7142490969&rd=1&ssPageName=WD1V

Wow...those look like they would be hard to ski on. I used small ski last year when I went snowski in Vail and had a blast. I was thinking that super short ski would be great on the water too.

MasterCrafting
03-29-2005, 12:27 AM
^ the little snowskis (snowblades, snowskates, whatever) Are fun at first but, then you realize that they arn't and you look really funny doing it. You go out and get some regular twin tips and rip it up huge in the parks. (i've actually seen a kid on snowblades get the **** beat out of him for riding them in a terrain park)

They are for barefoot training and are alot of fun because you can try new stuff with them without the 40mph falls.

Trick skis are differnt. I suggest you try those out too. Alot of fun!

Thats all i've got for now. (oh, i wasnt bashing the snowblades)

Leroy
03-29-2005, 01:04 AM
I was going to say how much I hate seeing those short snow skiis, but if you like them, more power to you, guess I said the same thing about boarders 8-10 years ago and now I'm one of them. :rant: :D

I also saw many skiis around Tahoe that are normal length, but shaped the same both ends and the people using them ski just as absolutely as good backward as forward, over any terrain or jump.

How do you start out with the foot skiis?

AirJunky
03-29-2005, 02:43 AM
Uh, is there a stupid human trick involving a boat and the above mentioned devices? If so let's have some details because I'm adding these to my (long) list of things to tow behind the boat! :D

Deep water slalom start using a canoe paddle as a ski...... it's an old show ski trick from the 1950s.

Saucer & the 6' tall ladder is another old one.

If your ever at a Sea World, ask someone about it.

sizzler
03-29-2005, 02:59 AM
I had barefoot international shoe skis until I skied with kieth st. onge. He uses extreme footers sold on barefoot central. I tried them and now own a pair. Gave my barefoot international shoe skies away. The base is to rigid. On the extreme footers you can feel the water better.
i had the barefoot int. ones .......until i used the extreme ones on barefootcentral....they are great.....

as above... a friend of mine now has a cheap pair of BI shoeskis

MasterCrafting
03-30-2005, 12:43 AM
I ride twin tips. backward foward...in the air...on the rails...skiing is what i do. The twin tips are probably the most versitle ski out there. They are good for the bumps, groomers, powder, bigmountain, crud, park/pipe. You name it! Try out a pair i guarantee you will never ride regular skis again!

aprgriggs
03-30-2005, 09:14 AM
I ride twin tips. backward foward...in the air...on the rails...skiing is what i do. The twin tips are probably the most versitle ski out there. They are good for the bumps, groomers, powder, bigmountain, crud, park/pipe. You name it! Try out a pair i guarantee you will never ride regular skis again!

Do you have a picture? and what brand?

MasterCrafting
04-14-2005, 12:08 AM
what kind of pics are you lookin for? I personally own Salomon 1080's and Rossignol Scratch FS's as well as K2 Fujatives...I would recomend K2 Public Enemy's to anyone who is looking for an amazing all around ski...Get back to me on what you want pic wise...or for any other info...I've ridden alot of skis so if you have any questions feel free to ask my oppinion...(i am a certified ski instructor and i did work at a shop for awhile so i do know my way around skis pretty well...)

sfitzgerald351
04-14-2005, 01:23 AM
Nah,

Free the Heel! Get a pair of tele skis and learn how fun skiing can really be. I can do everything I could on downhills and the backcountry becomes this great new playground with out the boot hiking...

tex
04-14-2005, 09:42 AM

I am thinking about getting a pair. What size do you have and how big are you?

MasterCrafting
04-20-2005, 09:55 AM
I'm 5'11'' and i ride 160's they are alittle short on me right now but i havent been able to buy new ones in a few years. This coming season i will be on at least 170's maybe 175's...Size also depends on the ski...some skis i'd ride shorter if they were fatter...Alot of it is preferance...My friends is a small kid and he rides 180's. I hope that helps...If you have any more questions just ask.

MasterCrafting
04-20-2005, 09:59 AM
Hey...I hijacked my own thread...haha...

If you're looking for twin tips this is a great place to start!
www.getboards.com