PDA

View Full Version : 197 Trailer Bunk Problems

Pages : [1] 2 3

Ric
07-26-2006, 10:35 AM
I am sure you are tired of reading of my MC trailer woes:o

2005 197 This thread is NOT about the brakes..
I'm on my third set of bunk carpets after having my boat a year with 60hrs.

My bunks wear thru the "inner" edge of carpet of the main center bunks quite quickly. As the dealer began work on my third bunk cover set, I decided to crawl around under the boat a bit and get a feel for how the trailer fits the boat... (PICS to come when it stops raining!)

The 197 has a bulbous slotted brass water intake which protrudes from the hull bottom...

This bulbous brass piece is about 3" from the inside edge of the center most port side trailer bunk when the boat is resting on the trailer.

To me, this is the cause of my carpet problem.... Unless all of you are able to get a perfect direct shot at your trailer 100% of the time you are loading and I am the only spaz, I see this as a design problem...

Eastie mentioned a flat "flush" water intake plate. That may work.

OR, move the bunks up and out a bit from the center so that the intake does not rub the trailer bunk as the boat goes on and off the trailer...

am I the only person seeing undue wear on the carpet of the mc trailer bunks on at least this one model?:mad:

My dealer has been great about handling my issues but I do not want to call him-any more than he wants to hear from me about these weird happenings. For this third carpet set, He has installed a non-mc carpet to see what might happen.

6ballsisall
07-26-2006, 10:36 AM
I have the same issue on my 03 X7 as you with that specific spot on the carpet bunks. I keep saying I am going to get around to replacing the carpet but have actually yet to do it.

Ric
07-26-2006, 10:39 AM
Does your boat also have the bulbous water intake protruding near the bunk?

6ballsisall
07-26-2006, 10:41 AM
Does your boat also have the bulbous water intake protruding near the bunk?
Yep.........

Ric
07-26-2006, 10:47 AM
hmmm .... Just me and Jeff?

G-man
07-26-2006, 10:48 AM
Would it help to cut an angle \ on the edge of the bunk. Also a promo friend sprays his bunks with pledge to help the boat slide.

6ballsisall
07-26-2006, 10:48 AM
hmmm .... Just me and Jeff?

I bet there is more......but they are still worried about the pink seats. :D

ntidsl
07-26-2006, 10:59 AM
No problem here surprisingly...2005 197 tt...trailer it every morning and I see no wear and why would the intake hit if you pull the boat on straight?

When i take my boat off the trailer it is already floating and when i put it back on I have to drive up onto the trailer until the buddy clicks but i always stay straight and go slow...

I deal with a very steep ramp and a very flat ramp...never have a problem either way!?!?

Hey jrandol...what up dude? I got your message just been busy...got out this morning and yesterday with some members here at the lake...ran a full 28 off pass this morning at 6:08am...lol...20 minutes before the sun even came over the hill...we'll get out soon man!

Ric
07-26-2006, 11:00 AM
Would it help to cut an angle \ on the edge of the bunk. Also a promo friend sprays his bunks with pledge to help the boat slide.

It may help. I did spray 303 on set#2 because I was having hell getting on and off the trailer. More or less what I'd call a sticky feel to the hull rubbing the bunks when launching or loading..

303 helped of course, but was a bandaid in my opinion and was just asking for a boat ramp follie at some point in the future:(

6ballsisall
07-26-2006, 11:00 AM
No problem here surprisingly...2005 197 tt...trailer it every morning and I see no wear and why would the intake hit if you pull the boat on straight?

When i take my boat off the trailer it is already floating and when i put it back on I have to drive up onto the trailer until the buddy clicks but i always stay straight and go slow...

I deal with a very steep ramp and a very flat ramp...never have a problem either way!?!?

Hey jrandol...what up dude? I got your message just been busy...got out this morning and yesterday with some members here at the lake...ran a full 28 off pass this morning at 6:08am...lol...20 minutes before the sun even came over the hill...we'll get out soon man!

Congrats on the 28' off pass Doug!!!

east tx skier
07-26-2006, 11:02 AM
Ric, why not just fab a piece and screw it in there. I know my father-in-law's intake grate is flat, but mine may be bulbous like yours. It's just not close enough to the bunks to do any damage.

ntidsl
ps...i have never and will never wax my bunks...clean carpet last longer...and I never want a slippery surface holding my boat as I am driving it down the hightway at 70 mph...I want sticky, clingy carpet, transon straps and 2 bow straps...wax on the carpet is asking for trouble in my opinion...if the mfr wanted slippery bunks they would have made slippery bunk...

east tx skier
Congrats on the 28' off pass Doug!!!

Thanks. Couldn't have done it without you. ;)

Ric

did you not sell the TT boat?
when you say floating, how far are you dunking the fenders for the boat to "float" off?
My dealer largely blames my ramp, which is admittedly weird, but not necessarily steep or flat either way... kinda well "normal" angle

6ballsisall
07-26-2006, 11:04 AM

Smart arse...........:rolleyes:

Whats up Doug!!:D

ntidsl
07-26-2006, 11:05 AM
on the way off the trailer my wheel wells are probably 8" under...on the way on they are level with the water

Ric
07-26-2006, 11:06 AM
on the way off the trailer my bunks are probably 8" under...on the way on the are level with the water
you mean your fenders are 8" under when launching and level with the water when loading?

east tx skier
07-26-2006, 11:07 AM
Smart arse...........:rolleyes:

Whats up Doug!!:D

Price of gas, but not my stocks.

How you be?!?

6ballsisall
07-26-2006, 11:08 AM
on the way off the trailer my wheel wells are probably 8" under...on the way on they are level with the water

hmm........I am going to have to watch closer next time you load. I release my boat by letting the tow rig come back until it floats. off. As for loading I have to go about 2" below the water on the fenders and even then have to power load pretty good to hit the boat buddy.

6ballsisall
07-26-2006, 11:09 AM
Price of gas, but not my stocks.

How you be?!?

True dat........:rolleyes:

All is good! Going out to get my swerve on this evening! Can't wait!!

Ric
07-26-2006, 11:10 AM
Tell ya what I am considering on this top dollar new boat ... Taking the bunk off myself and routering an edge angle into it as george described AND removing the bulbous thing and either de-burring the hell out of any sharp edges or replacing it with some flat intake plate...

seems wrong for the boat to sound like a squeegee as I drive onto the trailer from halfway on til I click in... What's happing is that sometimes the squeegee effect gets the hull stuck to the carpet so well that when enough rpm's are introduced, she breaks free and rams the boat buddy a bit harder than I'd like... I want a smooth drive-on and a nice "click". God knows I don't ask for much....

ntidsl
07-26-2006, 11:13 AM
sounds like you want an easy loader...just kidding man...it doesnt sound that hard...trust me with nano technology coming to market so fast they will introduce a non abrasive carpet for bunks that adheres to the boat only after it is out of the water...I read a national geographic article about it

6ballsisall
07-26-2006, 11:17 AM
sounds like you want an easy loader...just kidding man...it doesnt sound that hard...trust me with nano technology coming to market so fast they will introduce a non abrasive carpet for bunks that adheres to the boat only after it is out of the water...I read a national geographic article about it

Did you stay at a Holiday Inn too?? :D I need to switch from Courtyard to HI. I think I'd be more edjumacated. :D

Ric
07-26-2006, 11:19 AM
ya! eazy loader! That is the one with a billion rubber wheels on the hinging bunks?!

my hull has scuffs showing where the hull rides the bunks on and off... 60 hour boat... 3rd set of bunk carpet
what about your TT boat nti??

ntidsl
07-26-2006, 11:22 AM
150 hours no problem...maybe its the water? seriously

my boat is still for sale...no bites right now...i got too much into it to sell for cheap...but for now just skiing every morning at 6am to 7am...

ntidsl
07-26-2006, 11:25 AM
but you can see where the boat slides on the carpet...it doesnt bug me though...

6ballsisall
07-26-2006, 11:25 AM
150 hours no problem...maybe its the water? seriously

my boat is still for sale...no bites right now...i got too much into it to sell for cheap...but for now just skiing every morning at 6am to 7am...

You can't sell that boat.......it's a one off and it's bad arse......

Ric
07-26-2006, 11:33 AM
the lake is an old sand quarry
I do know that there is a cloudiness to the water after we have made a run down the lake after it's been sitting idle for a day... Maybe the sandy content of the water makes for the sticky bunks?
me and JR have the sticky bunk issue and I just don't know if it's related to that water pickup or if it's the water or ...... Good Lord Forbid!..... It's ME!

ntidsl
07-26-2006, 11:38 AM
the sand may be getting on your bunks and scratching the hull worse than normal water...as afr as the intake...thats weird that it hits...I
d file it down and make it a little smoother on the outside so it doesnt cut the carpet...then wait for nanotechnology!!! the world is gonna change!

ntidsl
07-26-2006, 11:41 AM
dude if i get 32 off by the end of next week ill keep the boat....lol...i never thought d get that shortline by the end of my first year on a course...

schmaltzy
07-26-2006, 11:42 AM
No - you can throw me in that list as well. Working on replacing the bunks as we speak

Ric
07-26-2006, 11:47 AM
Schmaltzy too.... nti, you have a boat for sale so I don't expect you to speak as frankly as you did prior to the fsbo sign going up...

ntidsl
07-26-2006, 11:48 AM
lol...just call me frank...sorry...i really think its the sand though...

Ric
07-26-2006, 11:50 AM
lol...just call me frank...sorry...i really think its the sand though...maybe.... maybe jeff and schmaltsy have sand problems too... all causing the inside edge of the portside bunk to wear thru prematurely:rolleyes:

Andrť
07-26-2006, 11:52 AM
Still skiing with that 100' rope Doug?;)

ntidsl
07-26-2006, 11:56 AM
I love those 100' tube ropes man...I'm gonna break 43 off with that thing...to shorten it we just keep tying knots in it...I see people skiing with those really colorful ropes...I guess they are dying them or something...why do they do that?

Ric
07-26-2006, 11:57 AM
threadjackin buncha tubers!

east tx skier
07-26-2006, 12:04 PM
Still skiing with that 100' rope Doug?;)

150' when the mood strikes me.

That ski reminds me of Ric's trailer bunk sans carpet.

rodltg2
07-26-2006, 12:12 PM
lol...just call me frank...sorry...i really think its the sand though...

too bad you your too far away, i met a guy last light looking for a TT with an lq9 for foottin. he asked me who bought mine so he could make an offer...

Ric
07-26-2006, 12:18 PM
anyone have a smilie showing a guy tapping his fingers waiting for the group to get back on subject?

sanjuan23
07-26-2006, 12:20 PM
anyone have a smilie showing a guy tapping his fingers waiting for the group to get back on subject?
:noface: :uglyhamme

east tx skier
07-26-2006, 12:20 PM
I tried to bring it back around by posting that picture of my plank!

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/45.gif

sanjuan23
07-26-2006, 12:21 PM

I just inadvertantly washed my Screen and Keyboard with Coffee.

east tx skier
07-26-2006, 12:23 PM
http://www.kilosweg.de/images/smilies/neu/spit_ball.gif

ntidsl
07-26-2006, 12:26 PM
so about that trailer...

ntidsl
07-26-2006, 12:29 PM
hey eastie how much is the tmc discount on those boots?

east tx skier
07-26-2006, 12:30 PM
Ric, as I mentioned in my email. You've got the technology. You can rebuild it. Make the slots in your new, flat grate form a nice little "MC," then sell it to the rest of the 197 guys for $$$.

/ntidsl, PM at ya.

Ric
07-26-2006, 12:54 PM
about that trailer........ BUNK

Ric
07-26-2006, 12:54 PM
It's all BUNK .

dsoby
07-26-2006, 12:59 PM
Ric,
I have an 02 X7 and have the same problem with the intake hitting the bunk during loading. I've tried going deeper with the trailer but run into issues with the bow eye hitting the V support on the front of the trailer. Doug's idea might work. My carpet tear is only about 6 inches and is not getting worse so I've pretty much decided to not worry about it. BTW, does anyone know how to lift the back center floor panel on these boats? I want to repack my prop shaft.

Ric
07-26-2006, 01:00 PM
there should be a twistie kinda latch under the floor on each side... reach under, twist them 90 degrees and the floor should lift out (you have to take the motor cover out first I think

Ric
07-26-2006, 01:01 PM
woops, anyone know if easties idea of a flat raw water intake plate is a workable solution?

engine nut? mymc? Mr Dorton?

east tx skier
07-26-2006, 01:30 PM
Ric, just looked at mine. Does this look like yours? It is more bulbous than I remembered. Probably about 6" toward the center of the hull from the bunk. Approx. 55" from where the transom meets the hull.

The question is, has the last 55" or so of my boat reached the bunks by the time my boat has centered itself when loading. My guess is it has not, but just barely. I think the shallower you have the trailer, the more quickly the boat will center on the bunks.

Ric
07-26-2006, 02:27 PM
Yes that looks like my intake but my bunks must be further toward the centerline of the trailer. In the resting position, the intake is much closer to the bunk on my trailer than the one in the pic.

jraben8
07-26-2006, 02:40 PM
Without being able to look at it right now, I know that mine is the flat style on my SS and if I remember right it is also a rectangle so I don't think that you can simply swap the grate over the intake.

I'll check when I get home.

schmaltzy
07-26-2006, 03:17 PM
Yes that looks like my intake but my bunks must be further toward the centerline of the trailer. In the resting position, the intake is much closer to the bunk on my trailer than the one in the pic.

At work and I can't remember for sure but I think mine is almost right up against the bunk.

MYMC
07-26-2006, 03:32 PM
woops, anyone know if easties idea of a flat raw water intake plate is a workable solution?

engine nut? mymc? Mr Dorton?
Ric, I don't know if the flat intake will work given the shape of the bottom...you can call me if you want to discuss this.

Ric
07-26-2006, 03:36 PM
I will call you Mike. I have a few ideas. As I whined to East, I wish I didn't have to make any parts for this. But I'm nearly broken and may go ahead and fix it myself...

Cousin_Jeff
07-26-2006, 06:05 PM
I am chiming in that I too have a 197 (2002) and I am replacing the carpet this weekend. I am literally headed out the door right now to get a staple gun and some staples.

bdecker
07-26-2006, 06:51 PM
Same problem on my 2005 TT (169 Hours). Actually thought about converting to rollers in the center, but someone talked me out of it. Will try putting it even deeper. The Yukon'll be blowin' bubbles by the time I get 8" of water over the fenders...

tex
07-26-2006, 10:45 PM
I have the same problem w/mine. Wait til your wife drives on a little crooked and you have to replace the paddlewheel on your PP. I hate my trailer! I love my boat...just hate my trailer.

Ric
07-27-2006, 10:36 AM
uhhhhh MC are you hearin me?

WTRSK1R
07-27-2006, 12:18 PM
Part of the reason that Eastie's intake is farther away is his 1993 205 trailer only has 2 bunks that run all the way from the back of the trailer to the front of the trailer. With that design the boat centers itself easier, and the intake ends up clear of the bunk. The newer trailer for the 197 has 4 bunks. 2 wide ones in the back of the trailer and 2 narrow ones in the front of the trailer. The narrow bunks end up closer to the intake, and IMHO make the boat a little harder to center. After I got my 197 it took me about 3 or 4 times to the lake to figure out that this boat / trailer combination is MUCH more sensitive about how you approach the trailer then my 1992 205 was. With my 205 I could hit the trailer from almost any conceivable angle and between the guide posts and the bunks it would center up very easily. Not so with the 197 as I found out the first time I took it out. It is not an issue, but it did take some adjustment. I also think that if the water is not at least up to the top of the fender, it is very difficult to pull the boat on the trailer. With my 205 I used to leave the fender a couple of inches out of the water. Just something else to get used to, and to make you feel like a new boater at the launch for a trip or two. Since I trailer all the time, and the boat is in and out of the water several times a week this was not an issue for long.

Steve

Ric
07-27-2006, 12:28 PM
yep I think the 4 bunk setup has the inner bunks too close together too but I have yet to figure out how to solve the squeegee effect when mine goes on the trailer.

dunking the trailer does not work for me when launching because then my bow eye catches the front edge of the vbunk and tears it up...

east tx skier
07-27-2006, 12:34 PM
yep I think the 2 bunk setup has the inner bunks too close together too but I have yet to figure out how to solve the squeegee effect when mine goes on the trailer.

dunking the trailer does not work for me when launching because then my bow eye catches the front edge of the vbunk and tears it up...

You mean 4bunk, right?

Also, with dunking the trailer, when I've said that in the past, I meant that the trailer backer completely submerges the trailer bunks, then pulls the trailer back out to whatever "recovery depth" you usually use. I didn't mean leave the bunks dunked. Just get them wet so there's some lubrication.

/edit. Whoops. Just reread your post. ... "when launching. Got nuthin'.

With the two bunk trailers, you can almost come in sideways and still center up pretty quick. Not that I'd recommend it.

Ric
07-27-2006, 12:37 PM
sorry yes, I meant four bunk has the inner bunks too close together and yes, by "dunking" I meant "floating" the boat off, not "dunking" as you described. Your method of "dunking" works better for me than "floating"

meanwhile I have torn up 2 sets of bunk carpet in one year dunking, floating, aligning, 303'ing, etc

east tx skier
07-27-2006, 12:45 PM
Well, I'm almost out of ideas. Try this. Drive it on straight. 8p

http://new.disneyecho.emuck.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/boat.gif

Okay, here's a question. Why do the new trailers have 4 bunks?

DanC
07-27-2006, 12:56 PM
[QUOTE=Ric]I have yet to figure out how to solve the squeegee effect when mine goes on the trailer.

Liquid rollers solved it for me.

[QUOTE=WTRSK1R]The narrow bunks .....IMHO make the boat a little harder to center. After I got my 197 it took me about 3 or 4 times to the lake to figure out that this boat / trailer combination is MUCH more sensitive about how you approach the trailer then my 1992 205 was. With my 205 I could hit the trailer from almost any conceivable angle and between the guide posts and the bunks it would center up very easily..

I had the same problem with my 209 and the four bunks. I now put the trailer in NOT as deep (fenders about 3-4 inches out of the water) and this helps the bow not catch on the outside of the front two bunks.

Ric
07-27-2006, 01:14 PM
Well, I'm almost out of ideas. Try this. Drive it on straight. 8p

http://new.disneyecho.emuck.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/boat.gif

Okay, here's a question. Why do the new trailers have 4 bunks? ahhh refer to post 66 regarding "aligning" :cool: been there, done that, driving on straight does not solve mi problema

east tx skier
07-27-2006, 01:27 PM
I stand corrected. Have you tried backing it on?

Ric
07-27-2006, 01:28 PM
I stand corrected. Have you tried backing it on? probably would go on just as easy as it does now:confused:

Ric
07-28-2006, 08:36 AM
BUNK Bump

Ric
07-28-2006, 10:24 PM
Drunk Bumpin Bunk

Ric
08-06-2006, 12:45 AM
Hi my name is Ric and I am an mc sicofant.. but I hate my trailer...

OK doubters, some of you think I have magic sand problems and others think that I don't know how to trailer an inboard...

Here is a pic of my trailer bunk and it's proximity to the raw water pickup housing on my 197 when at rest on the mc trailer...

I think this is the reason I am on my third set of bunk carpeting on my boats one year birthday

It's enough to make me go chick over the whole deal

Ric
08-06-2006, 12:56 AM
too close for comfort

east tx skier
08-06-2006, 10:49 AM
Ric, I think I can unequivocally say I know why you're having bunk problems.

erkoehler
08-06-2006, 11:17 AM
Ric, is there a chance that you can adjust your guide poles so that the boat has less room to move side to side when coming on the trailer?

east tx skier
08-06-2006, 11:22 AM
I think with the 4 bunk set up, it may be that the boat doesn't center as quickly as the older ones do. I really want to look at this up close.

Should've brought my ski. I'm sitting in Houston typing this.

Ric
08-06-2006, 03:17 PM
yes you should've

we left here at 8a and were back by 1p when the rain started as I pulled into the drive

good day
pulled a buncha little skiers today!:D

Ric
08-06-2006, 03:17 PM
Ric, is there a chance that you can adjust your guide poles so that the boat has less room to move side to side when coming on the trailer? maybe. if so, is this not a design problem?

Ric
08-06-2006, 03:23 PM
I really took it easy today with the new bunk carpet as I wanted to nail down this issue...

it seems that when I have my fenders juuust out of the water, and I go really slow onto the trailer.... my bow hits my spare....

when I bought the boat, my salesman added a 1/4" spacer to the top bolt of the spare to angle it away from the hull because I took one look at it in the lot and said "this won't do..."

I think I may need a half inch spacer on top and 1/4" spacer on bottom just to get the tire further from the hull... (mc wheel and marathon tire)

I think If I back in less (where more of the fender is out of the lake), I miss the spare tire BUT (at least with the mc carpet) I'd have to powerload more than I like... more than is reasonable in regards to equipment damage and ramp washout..

Ric
08-07-2006, 09:09 AM
. :mad: .

quincyfirefighter
08-07-2006, 10:28 AM
Feel for Ya Ric. Having Trailer problems also. This show up last weekin :mad: Will have to get it welded. Have never seen this happen before. Anyone :confused:

Ric
08-07-2006, 03:12 PM
I have not seen that either quincy
do you strap the transom of your boat when towing? not that it should cause this but I just wonder...

quincyfirefighter
08-07-2006, 06:15 PM
Only trailer about 25 miles to the lake but I started strapping down the transom this summer and now this happens. Guess I should feel lucky that I have not lost the boat :rolleyes:

jlf
08-08-2006, 10:38 AM
Feel for Ya Ric. Having Trailer problems also. This show up last weekin :mad: Will have to get it welded. Have never seen this happen before. Anyone :confused:
Had this happened to my buddies 2005 197 trailer same place. I can't remember what he said the problem was with, I think it was due to weak metal. Actually happened to two buddies of mine last year both with '05 197 trailers. They both got new trailers I am pretty sure.

Ric
08-08-2006, 10:48 AM
Had this happened to my buddies 2005 197 trailer same place. I can't remember what he said the problem was with, I think it was due to weak metal. Actually happened to two buddies of mine last year both with '05 197 trailers. They both got new trailers I am pretty sure. This is not good news...

So both of those guys had the trailer breaking where quincy's trailer broke? I have seen an 04 trailer break at the spare mount but I think it was not asmuch poor design as it was a guy welding the bracket in the wrong place...

Ric
08-08-2006, 10:54 AM
you guys that are removing the boat buddy system, contact me if you want to sell it. I like the concept of the boat buddy but have had so many trailer problems that I now need spare parts for my boat buddy.

quincyfirefighter
08-08-2006, 10:55 AM
Had this happened to my buddies 2005 197 trailer same place. I can't remember what he said the problem was with, I think it was due to weak metal. Actually happened to two buddies of mine last year both with '05 197 trailers. They both got new trailers I am pretty sure.
Well guess I'm not the only one then. Don't think MC will give me a new trailer being that it's 6 years old and all :rolleyes: Have a good friend that is a welder that said he can fix my trailer. Just need to get the same color paint to touch up where the weld is

ntidsl
08-08-2006, 11:28 AM
does your trailer sit outside? I left my boat it he water today since a 13 year old who is going to nationals in all 3 events wanted to practice tricking behind a MC. Anyway, I checked my carpet, checked my welds, checked everything and waxed the whole thing and it all looks fantastic...now my boat is trailered every day, towed 100 yards and stored inside so that may help...good luck...looks like a bad weld job to me but I have no idea...it could have been that your ramp was steep, your bunk were slippery and all the weight of the boat would have been on that joint...another case, and I'm not saying you waxed your bunks, but another case of why you should never wax your carpeted bunk

quincyfirefighter
08-08-2006, 12:19 PM
does your trailer sit outside? I left my boat it he water today since a 13 year old who is going to nationals in all 3 events wanted to practice tricking behind a MC. Anyway, I checked my carpet, checked my welds, checked everything and waxed the whole thing and it all looks fantastic...now my boat is trailered every day, towed 100 yards and stored inside so that may help...good luck...looks like a bad weld job to me but I have no idea...it could have been that your ramp was steep, your bunk were slippery and all the weight of the boat would have been on that joint...another case, and I'm not saying you waxed your bunks, but another case of why you should never wax your carpeted bunk
Trailer and boat stay inside (garage) when not in use and when the boat is in the water the trailer is put back in the garage. Never wax the bunks and the ramps don't seem to be to steep were we ski. Think your right about the weld being bad. Thanks to all for the help. Make's me feel better knowing that I'm not the only one with this problem :rolleyes:

Ric
08-09-2006, 12:39 AM
well the pain continues...
skiid tonite and after literally 2 uses of the trailer with the non-mc carpet, the bunk carpet has torn again! This one is not the fault of the mc carpet, even though the trailer design on the 197 may still be the real culprit.

now I have to arrange another meeting with my dealer for new bunk carpet. The dealer has been great but how long can this go on?

magic sand? I doubt it after two launches!

btw, the brake rebuild upon this last trip to the trailer shop is now working flawlessly... we just need to repaint the trailer tongue for all the paint damage from the brake fluid corrosives.

quincyfirefighter
08-09-2006, 10:21 AM
skiid tonite and after literally 2 uses of the trailer with the non-mc carpet, the bunk carpet has torn again! This one is not the fault of the mc carpet, even though the trailer design on the 197 may still be the real culprit.

now I have to arrange another meeting with my dealer for new bunk carpet. The dealer has been great but how long can this go on?

btw, the brake rebuild upon this last trip to the trailer shop is now working flawlessly... we just need to repaint the trailer tongue for all the paint damage from the brake fluid corrosives.
Sorry to here that your still having problems Ric :( Let me know if you find a place to get the stock paint to touch-up your trailer. I myself will have to repaint the tongue also after it is welded

east tx skier
08-09-2006, 10:24 AM

Ric, can you patch me in 3-way when you call the dealer. I just want to listen. :)

AIRCANX09
08-09-2006, 08:02 PM
Well guess I'm not the only one then. Don't think MC will give me a new trailer being that it's 6 years old and all :rolleyes: Have a good friend that is a welder that said he can fix my trailer. Just need to get the same color paint to touch up where the weld is

I had my local M/C dealer get me a can of spray paint from Mastercraft. My trailer is yellow, hard to match elseware.

ntidsl
08-09-2006, 08:56 PM
thats crazy ric...bummer...i have nothing to say...love the avatar though

Ric
08-09-2006, 11:02 PM
east . :rant: . not the dealer's fault, but it's the dealer's problem...

quincyfirefighter
08-10-2006, 09:58 AM
I had my local M/C dealer get me a can of spray paint from Mastercraft. My trailer is yellow, hard to match elseware.
Already talked to the MC dealer that is closet to me, they were no help :mad: Will try MYMC and see if they can help or maybe erkoehler.

east tx skier
08-10-2006, 10:16 AM
east . :rant: . not the dealer's fault, but it's the dealer's problem...

I wasn't suggesting fault. I just want to be on the phone given that I am familiar with the person you'll be speaking with.

Ric
08-10-2006, 12:02 PM
I wasn't suggesting fault. I just want to be on the phone given that I am familiar with the person you'll be speaking with. poor guy, you know he does NOT want that call from me!

ntidsl
08-10-2006, 12:03 PM
magic sand i say

rodltg2
08-10-2006, 12:06 PM
Already talked to the MC dealer that is closet to me, they were no help :mad: Will try MYMC and see if they can help or maybe erkoehler.

thats a shock...

ntidsl
08-10-2006, 12:07 PM
rod...we are gonna change your name to mr obvious...

rodltg2
08-10-2006, 12:08 PM
i just know the dealer...

ntidsl
08-10-2006, 12:11 PM
its funny there are people out there who would kill to be MC dealers...I dont understand it...I know jrandol, mag and myself could combine enough capital to open a southern ohio northern ky dealership and I think jrandol called a few people about it but there was no interest...the dealer here tries but has no idea how to sell DD or Vdrives...givem a 19 foot I/o though and its out the door!

6ballsisall
08-10-2006, 12:13 PM
its funny there are people out there who would kill to be MC dealers...I dont understand it...I know jrandol, mag and myself could combine enough capital to open a southern ohio northern ky dealership and I think jrandol called a few people about it but there was no interest...the dealer here tries but has no idea how to sell DD or Vdrives...givem a 19 foot I/o though and its out the door!

Dude I even called MC and contacted the guy for the area and didn't get so much as a call back or "thanks but no thanks response" Agreed........Hern is Hern. They can sell runabouts but it annoys the hell out of me to see a gazillion bu's in the area and very few MC's..... We could change that........Not dogging on Hern here as they have made a credible place in the runabout business. You said it best NT, they'd just rather sell a runabout any day of the week vs. a DD or VD. Is just their focus.

Ric
08-10-2006, 12:18 PM
Dude I even called MC and contacted the guy for the area and didn't get so much as a call back or "thanks but no thanks response" Agreed........Hern is Hern. They can sell runabouts but it annoys the hell out of me to see a gazillion bu's in the area and very few MC's..... We could change that........Not dogging on Hern here as they have made a credible place in the runabout business. You said it best NT, they'd just rather sell a runabout any day of the week vs. a DD or VD. Is just their focus. you boys get a dealership, I hope you are ready for the trailer woes (just to keep the thread on track)

ntidsl
08-10-2006, 12:21 PM
i think something is wrong with your trailer ric...yup something is wrong...maybe you could trade trailers with a boat in stock at your dealer and see if it happens with that one...or trade with someone you know who has a 197 too...if it doesnt rip in a couple times your know its just your bunk and boat connection...something is out of whack...

6ballsisall
08-10-2006, 12:21 PM
you boys get a dealership, I hope you are ready for the trailer woes (just to keep the thread on track)

I'd do it but it doesn't look like its in the cards. Not a good sign when the mfg. doesn't even aknowledge your interest.........:rolleyes:

6ballsisall
08-10-2006, 12:22 PM
i think something is wrong with your trailer ric...yup something is wrong...maybe you could trade trailers with a boat in stock at your dealer and see if it happens with that one...or trade with someone you know who has a 197 too...if it doesnt rip in a couple times your know its just your bunk and boat connection...something is out of whack...

It must be the "female driver" thang........:D

ntidsl
08-10-2006, 12:24 PM
dude...you best watch it...ric...i would never say anything like that...ooohh....jeff's in trouble!!!!!

Ric
08-10-2006, 12:25 PM
i think something is wrong with your trailer ric...yup something is wrong...maybe you could trade trailers with a boat in stock at your dealer and see if it happens with that one...or trade with someone you know who has a 197 too...if it doesnt rip in a couple times your know its just your bunk and boat connection...something is out of whack... yep I just had a loaner 06 197 trailer but I was only on and off of it twice.. I did not rip that one and the brakes worked flawlessly, so it could be an issue with my 05 (they appear the same but may not be)
dealer has completely replaced my entire brake system from the master cylinder, actuator, to calipers and turned rotors.. The brakes are now working very very nice... all I have left is bunk problems and the worst looking 1 year old trailer paint job you can imagine(due to the replacement work)

dealer has promised a re-paint, but I don't know what else he can do to fix these bunks... They are too close to the water intake but I dont know if that is causing all this or if it's the magic sand:rolleyes:

ntidsl
08-10-2006, 12:26 PM
maybe you could buy a lot on the water and buy a lift and forget all about it...lol

erkoehler
08-10-2006, 12:29 PM
I saw my name mentioned, what am I going to be asked about?

Ric
maybe you could buy a lot on the water and buy a lift and forget all about it...lol or just sell the damn boat huh dsl?:rolleyes:

east tx skier
Hey, Jeff. Have you looked at your raw water intake? Is it as close to the bunks as Ric's is? What about your bunk placement? You guys should compare measurements. I wonder if there have been any changes to either the intake placement or the bunk configuration between 2003 and 2005.

Ric
08-10-2006, 12:30 PM
I saw my name mentioned, what am I going to be asked about? quincy is looking for match paint for a white 2000 model mc trailer

6ballsisall
08-10-2006, 12:31 PM
Hey, Jeff. Have you looked at your raw water intake? Is it as close to the bunks as Ric's is? What about your bunk placement? You guys should compare measurements. I wonder if there have been any changes to either the intake placement or the bunk configuration between 2003 and 2005.

Mine is about 2" from the intake to the bunk. It looks alot like Ric's setup. .

Ric
08-10-2006, 12:32 PM
I also took a long look at the water pickup, thinking of making a less obtrusive part for the boat, but it will be fun as the flange that goes thru the hull and connects to the hose inside is a thick flanged piece of brass and would require the backside of my engineered plate to be relieved so that the plate could still mount flush to the hull area under the current pickup bulb.

east tx skier
08-10-2006, 12:32 PM
How much twist do you have in those rear bunks, Jeff. Something is causing Ric's boat to not center itself it seems.

east tx skier
08-10-2006, 12:33 PM
I also took a long look at the water pickup, thinking of making a less obtrusive part for the boat, but it will be fun as the flange that goes thru the hull and connects to the hose inside is a thick flanged piece of brass and would require the backside of my engineered plate to be relieved so that the plate could still mount flush to the hull area under the current pickup bulb.

Why not see if you can buy an intake grate like they have on the vdrives. Apparently, the intake sits on top of the trailer bunk, so it must be the flat one. Might save you some work.

6ballsisall
08-10-2006, 12:33 PM
How much twist do you have in those rear bunks, Jeff. Something is causing Ric's boat to not center itself it seems.

What do you mean by "twist"???

ntidsl
08-10-2006, 12:35 PM
yeah...my rear bunk only let me boat slide 1-1.5 inches each way...there is no way with the hull shape that my intake can hit unless i wasnt aligned at all...let me get a pic real quick

east tx skier
08-10-2006, 12:36 PM
What do you mean by "twist"???

Well, I'm not really familiar with the newer trailers. But my bunks start flat and twist inward to conform to the hull shape. I doubt it's as drastic as my setup (given that it's 4 bunks instead of 2), but I would presume that there is some twist in the rear bunks.

If it's the same, Ric's ramp setup might just be super unique. In other words, it may be just so that there is a bad loading angle whereby the boat is floating too much and not being centered by the bunks before the portion of the hull intake gets that far forward.

Just spitballin'

Ric
08-10-2006, 12:36 PM
yeah...my rear bunk only let me boat slide 1-1.5 inches each way...there is no way with the hull shape that my intake can hit unless i wasnt aligned at all...let me get a pic real quick that sounds like my setup but unless I am backing onto the trailer, that alignment design does not come into play until late in the drive-on sequence

Ric
08-10-2006, 12:37 PM
Why not see if you can buy an intake grate like they have on the vdrives. Apparently, the intake sits on top of the trailer bunk, so it must be the flat one. Might save you some work. its worth a try

6ballsisall
08-10-2006, 12:38 PM
Well, I'm not really familiar with the newer trailers. But my bunks start flat and twist inward to conform to the hull shape. I doubt it's as drastic as my setup (given that it's 4 bunks instead of 2), but I would presume that there is some twist in the rear bunks.

Oh yes..... now I see what you mean. Yep they have quite a bit of twist in them.

erkoehler
08-10-2006, 12:39 PM
Ric, can you post a picture of the back of the boat on the trailer.

east tx skier
08-10-2006, 12:39 PM
yeah...my rear bunk only let me boat slide 1-1.5 inches each way...there is no way with the hull shape that my intake can hit unless i wasnt aligned at all...let me get a pic real quick

Different hull and trailer, but I could come in closer to sideways than straight and my bunks would get me pretty well centered.

east tx skier
08-10-2006, 12:42 PM
Ric, can you post a picture of the back of the boat on the trailer.

Here's one of Ric's boat, Erk.

http://www.tmcowners.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=771&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=512

erkoehler
08-10-2006, 12:44 PM
Thanks East, but i need a current one, looks like that was right when it arrived from the factory.

I want to compare it to the 2006 I have on the lot and see if there is a big difference.

Ric
08-10-2006, 12:47 PM
will do erk
I think it usually settles opposite of that pre-delivery pic. I think it settes pushing against the right hand bunk but I will get a pic up here tonite

MarkP
08-10-2006, 01:06 PM
anyone have a smilie showing a guy tapping his fingers waiting for the group to get back on subject?http://www1.myspacedirect.com/media/funny/51.gif
Sorry its taking so long but Iím on it!!

ski_king
08-10-2006, 01:23 PM
http://www1.myspacedirect.com/media/funny/51.gif
Hey, I can post that animation! Things are looking up!

Ric, for what its worth, I need to replace the carpet on the bunks of my trailer also. It seems 24 years is all I could get out of the orginal.

Ric
08-10-2006, 05:48 PM
Ric, for what its worth, I need to replace the carpet on the bunks of my trailer also. It seems 24 years is all I could get out of the orginal. :mad: .

Ric
08-10-2006, 11:12 PM
http://www1.myspacedirect.com/media/funny/51.gif
Sorry its taking so long but Iím on it!!
mark that is some funny stuff! i have watched it at least a hundred times and its funny how the guy on our right reaches in with a right but slaps the guy on our left with a left... waitrass,,, another beer please..

quincyfirefighter
08-11-2006, 10:13 AM
I saw my name mentioned, what am I going to be asked about?
erk, Can I order some stock paint, kind of off white almost looks like a really light light tan or bone color from you. It is a stock color. Is there a number on the trailer (like color code) The two dealers closet to me seem to not want to help much. :mad: Can't get a answer out of them!! Thank's for any help you can give ;)

MarkP
08-11-2006, 10:56 AM
mark that is some funny stuff! i have watched it at least a hundred times and its funny how the guy on our right reaches in with a right but slaps the guy on our left with a left... waitrass,,, another beer please..
http://www.thecatarena.com/forum/images/smilies/ohwell.gifNothing is perfect.. http://www.ourladieslounge.com/forums/images/smilies/impatient.gif http://www.thecatarena.com/forum/images/smilies/focus.gif

Ric
08-11-2006, 12:32 PM
ya erk, Can I order some stock paint, kind of off white almost looks like a really light light tan or bone color from you. It is a stock color. Is there a number on the trailer (like color code) The two dealers closet to me seem to not want to help much. :mad: Can't get a answer out of them!! Thank's for any help you can give ;) it is my belief that dealers hate trailers

quincyfirefighter
08-11-2006, 04:53 PM
it is my belief that dealers hate trailers
Sorry Ric just yours and mine :rolleyes:

Ric
08-15-2006, 03:11 PM
keeping the trailer question at the top of the list

6ballsisall
08-15-2006, 03:12 PM
How can MC build such a sweet boat and then put them on such a chitty trailer???
I loved my trailer for the 95' it was perfect in every way. The trailer for my X7 blows. What gives??

Ric
08-17-2006, 11:43 PM
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

DwayneR
08-18-2006, 07:00 AM
I have a 02 TTboat & have not had problems with trailer.I know that ramp at banana bend is bad.

Ric
08-18-2006, 11:35 AM
Ya the ramp at banana bend is bad but I cannot say that it is the reason for the water intake ripping up that edge of that bunk or the brake issues I've had or the spare tire being in the way of load and launch. Ok maybe the spare would not interfere if the launch was perfect but I dont know

ntidsl
08-18-2006, 11:40 AM
I take my spare off before using the trailer at our clubs lake...no doubt it would hit the ground this ramp is so trashed and uneven...I dont think it could hit the boat..well wait...yeah as the boat starts to float when backing it in it would hit the boat...but I still have no idea how my water intake would hit the bunk...your trailer has got to be different than mine...don't you wish someone from MC would respond to some of this???? I mean you know they are looking in on us here...hi TMC administrator...were there different runs of trailers in 05??? come on trhow us a bone here...ric has been overly patient with all of this!!!!

ntidsl
08-18-2006, 11:42 AM
hey ric is the carpet tearing on a certain ramp or at various ramps?

Ric
08-18-2006, 11:43 AM
my spare would probably never hit the ground but even with a 1/4" spacer behind the wheel on the top lug, the spare still is within an inch of the hull when at rest on the trailer... of course it is gonna hit in different scenarios... My salesman is trying to handle all this and has a call into MC as of Monday of this week, (don't know if he contacted them throughout this past year of troubles) no callback to me at this point, no.

east tx skier
08-18-2006, 11:44 AM
Ric, did you make that call I wanted to listen in on yet? You ought to have a red phone that connects you to his office by now.

Ric
08-18-2006, 11:46 AM
The private lake ramp is the one I use most.. you have to hold your mouth right to get the trailer level on launch and load but it's not the end of the world. I have used a handful of public ramps like somerville and clear lake and a few others.. hard to say if one causes the tears more than another

Ric
08-18-2006, 11:46 AM
Ric, did you make that call I wanted to listen in on yet? You ought to have a red phone that connects you to his office by now. yep, sorry, made a couple of calls actually. :mad:

east tx skier
08-18-2006, 11:47 AM
Did you ask him about ordering you a flat grate?

Ric
08-18-2006, 11:49 AM
we discussed the intake but he wanted Mastercraft to make the call on that one.. :popcorn:

ntidsl
08-18-2006, 11:54 AM
a flat grate seems like a risky move...it is engineered with a bulb for a reason I'm sure...My tire touches my boat...I guess I need spacers huh? I have the MC cover on it so it doesnt mark it at all...it is just barely touching the boat...but I only put it on when we tow somewhere which my wife is doing right now...shes comes and picks it up from my ofice and takes it to where we are going and I meet here there later...the boats in the water, gasses up and ready to go...sometime I have to call her from the marine band to come pick me up...I wish they would solve your problem...its a bummer worrying about scratching your hull every time you trailer your boat...

east tx skier
08-18-2006, 11:55 AM
we discussed the intake but he wanted Mastercraft to make the call on that one.. :popcorn:

After this many posts, I'm honestly surprised we're no closer to a solution. Maybe it's spider crap that stains, then eats the carpet? :rolleyes:

6ballsisall
08-18-2006, 11:56 AM
a flat grate seems like a risky move...it is engineered with a bulb for a reason I'm sure...My tire touches my boat...I guess I need spacers huh? I have the MC cover on it so it doesnt mark it at all...it is just barely touching the boat...but I only put it on when we tow somewhere which my wife is doing right now...shes comes and picks it up from my ofice and takes it to where we are going and I meet here there later...the boats in the water, gasses up and ready to go...sometime I have to call her from the marine band to come pick me up...I wish they would solve your problem...its a bummer worrying about scratching your hull every time you trailer your boat...

Taking the MC to Warsaw this weekend?

Ric
08-18-2006, 11:57 AM
the tire hitting the hull has never caused any damage but you just know that it interferes.. it's kinda like the intake bulb, it's just too close to not interfere...

Ric
08-18-2006, 11:59 AM
After this many posts, I'm honestly surprised we're no closer to a solution. Maybe it's spider crap that stains, then eats the carpet? :rolleyes:

see what you get when you DON'T start the thread by saying:

"THAT'S IT!! I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER MASTERCRAFT AGAIN!!!!"

nothin...

ntidsl
08-18-2006, 12:01 PM
yup going to warsaw...weather looks crappy but Jodi insisted on taking the boat with us...if it gets rained on I'm gonna go nutz!!! It's never been rained on...I'm very nervous...

Hey ric...I'm coming up there and I'm gonna watch you trailer that boat...lol...we are all coming!!!! Just kidding its not you...its you and Jeff....just kidding again...I'm out of suggestions here....you'd think someone from MC would chime in soooner or later....they must be in another meeting

6ballsisall
08-18-2006, 12:04 PM
see what you get when you DON'T start the thread by saying:

"THAT'S IT!! I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER MASTERCRAFT AGAIN!!!!"

nothin...

U forgot one important element "I am buying a bu' or CC' :D

ntidsl
08-18-2006, 12:06 PM
Hey Jeff...drop your X7 in tonight and meet us at the tiki bar just north of belterra...got some fun people going there tonight rain or shine...

east tx skier
08-18-2006, 12:14 PM
I for one am glad you guys did not start the thread that way. I certainly hope it doesn't end that way either. Hopefully, someone will appear with a solution soon. I know it must be frustrating.

Ric
08-18-2006, 12:41 PM
I for one am glad you guys did not start the thread that way. I certainly hope it doesn't end that way either. Hopefully, someone will appear with a solution soon. I know it must be frustrating. not my style, but DAMN could you blame me?

Ric
08-18-2006, 04:32 PM
update:
Dealer called today and said that he's still waiting on a callback from mc.

Maybe someone in vonore could check out the email pics from my dealer in Houston and get back to him? Just sayin'....

east tx skier
08-18-2006, 04:33 PM
Ric, have your bunks turned pink yet?

G-man
08-18-2006, 04:50 PM
Maybe some hook in the bunks would help??? or a different rudder???

Ric
08-18-2006, 04:53 PM
Maybe some hook in the bunks would help??? or a different rudder??? I am not even asking for a world record trailer George... I already have that in a boat:D

east tx skier
08-18-2006, 05:00 PM
Ric, what if you just didn't use your trailer?

/bartender, another!

Andyg
08-18-2006, 05:05 PM
Ric,
I had the same issue on my 03 197. The bunk carpet ripped within a month of picking it up from the dealer. I also believe it is from the intake hitting the bunk, but I think I have figured out how to keep it from happening.

If the trailer is in just a shade too deep the boat won't self center on the way up the bunk. It does eventually self center, but by then the grate hits the bunk, (crappy trailer design). I have done a ton of experimenting with different trailer hitch heights and different trailer depths at the launch. With the setup I have now the boat would need to be driven on and off the trailer with at least 1/2 throttle. Which to me is way to much, but this is my opinion. So I went to West Marine and bought a can of liquid rollers and sprayed it on my bunks around the 4th of July last year. The bunks were ridiculously slippery, to the point where I wouldn't unstrap the boat no matter how gently sloped the launch was until the boat was all the way in the water. Now I use about 1/8 throttle off and a 1/4 throttle on and have not torn the bunk carpet since. If I were to do it again I would spray just a little bit of the liquid rollers on the bunks. I know it isn' the solution you probably want to hear, but it beats replacing the bunk carpet once a week.

On another note the big difference between our two trailers is the location/height of the bow v-block. I know the trailer is in too deep when the front bow eye catches on my v-block. You can back your trailer in much deeper than mine without worrying about the bow eye hitting the v-block.

Good Luck

Later

Andyg

Andyg
08-18-2006, 05:07 PM
I also forgot to mention that I had both brakes replaced, rotors, calipers, and pads on my single axle trailer about two weeks ago. They locked up on me and I smoked them. MC stepped up and warrrantied them for me.

east tx skier
08-18-2006, 05:17 PM
I'm going to kiss my trailer when I get home. You guys win the patience award.

Ric
08-18-2006, 05:24 PM
Thanks Andy, isn't yours the 197 with the all red hull? nice by the way!!

I have the exact problem with the bow eye and the v bunk, you cannot dunk my trailer in the literal sense because of that vbunk/bow eye issue.

Ric,
I had the same issue on my 03 197. The bunk carpet ripped within a month of picking it up from the dealer. I also believe it is from the intake hitting the bunk, but I think I have figured out how to keep it from happening.

If the trailer is in just a shade too deep the boat won't self center on the way up the bunk. It does eventually self center, but by then the grate hits the bunk, (crappy trailer design). I have done a ton of experimenting with different trailer hitch heights and different trailer depths at the launch. With the setup I have now the boat would need to be driven on and off the trailer with at least 1/2 throttle. Which to me is way to much, but this is my opinion. So I went to West Marine and bought a can of liquid rollers and sprayed it on my bunks around the 4th of July last year. The bunks were ridiculously slippery, to the point where I wouldn't unstrap the boat no matter how gently sloped the launch was until the boat was all the way in the water. Now I use about 1/8 throttle off and a 1/4 throttle on and have not torn the bunk carpet since. If I were to do it again I would spray just a little bit of the liquid rollers on the bunks. I know it isn' the solution you probably want to hear, but it beats replacing the bunk carpet once a week.

On another note the big difference between our two trailers is the location/height of the bow v-block. I know the trailer is in too deep when the front bow eye catches on my v-block. You can back your trailer in much deeper than mine without worrying about the bow eye hitting the v-block.

Good Luck

Later

Andyg

east tx skier
08-18-2006, 05:54 PM
I have the exact problem with the bow eye and the v bunk, you cannot dunk my trailer in the literal sense because of that vbunk/bow eye issue.

Wait a minute. You got it wet? Biiiiiig mistake!

Ric
08-18-2006, 06:16 PM
I think I just got mailed the wrong trailer, that's all

WTRSK1R
08-18-2006, 07:41 PM
I have not had any issue with my spare hitting the boat, so I took a quick look tonight. I have about 1.5 inches between the top of the tire (15 inch) and the bow of the boat when it is sitting on the trailer in the garage. Mine is a 2004 197. So far, the bunks are holding up. I guess time will tell since while it is a 2004, this is the Great Deal on a 197 boat that I picked up from Erk in June. (Thanks Erk! Have a coffee on me) 3 months down and it has been a GREAT:D boat just like my 1992 205.
:toast:

Steve

erkoehler
08-18-2006, 07:48 PM
I better be the first to know about any problems.....don't go trashing me on the board:D

erkoehler
08-18-2006, 07:48 PM
Glad your happy with it......that really is a great color combo :)

Ric
08-19-2006, 02:11 AM
I have not had any issue with my spare hitting the boat, so I took a quick look tonight. I have about 1.5 inches between the top of the tire (15 inch) and the bow of the boat when it is sitting on the trailer in the garage. Mine is a 2004 197. So far, the bunks are holding up. I guess time will tell since while it is a 2004, this is the Great Deal on a 197 boat that I picked up from Erk in June. (Thanks Erk! Have a coffee on me) 3 months down and it has been a GREAT:D boat just like my 1992 205.
:toast:

Steve
you should be very happy
how many hours do you have on the 197?
I could show you some scary pics of my experience with the 04 197 trailer:cool:

Leroy
08-19-2006, 07:32 AM
Ric; Long read, tooooo long. Guess all I can take so far is sell your boat and buy one from ERK! :D

Ric
08-19-2006, 12:38 PM
This thread is gonna get longer and longer til the day I post here that mc solved the 197 trailer issues for me for good. Or until tt locks the thread

6ballsisall
08-19-2006, 01:08 PM
Hey Jeff...drop your X7 in tonight and meet us at the tiki bar just north of belterra...got some fun people going there tonight rain or shine...

Wish I could brutha. I am in Colorado for the weekend for a wedding.......ugh:rolleyes:

Ric
08-19-2006, 01:58 PM
Wish I could brutha. I am in Colorado for the weekend for a wedding.......ugh:rolleyes: thread unjack---- anybody have a 197 trailer they love?

6ballsisall
08-19-2006, 01:59 PM
thread unjack---- anybody have a 197 trailer they love?

I think you'll be waiting A LONG time for an answer on that Ric.......:rolleyes:

Ric
08-21-2006, 12:17 PM
. :popcorn:

east tx skier
08-21-2006, 12:20 PM
Today, I woke up and I said, today might be the day Ric gets the answer to what's going on with his trailer. I sure hope that's the case.

PendO
08-21-2006, 12:38 PM
thread unjack---- anybody have a 197 trailer they love?

I like my trailer, but my boat is too slow!

Ric
08-21-2006, 01:55 PM
pendo you need the "stock prop"

today might be the day my trailer problems are solved, but I will even accept it if tomorrow is the day all my trailer problems are solved. You all will probably appreciate that as well.. as far as all the 197/x7 owners who are happy with their trailers, well.... congratulations :mad:

G-man
08-21-2006, 02:28 PM
This thread is lasting as long as the bathing suit thread and is not a s good looking, why don't they move the bunks instead of mess with boat?

ntidsl
08-21-2006, 02:29 PM
i really like my trailer...esp with a fresh coat of wax on it...but love would be extreme...

ntidsl
08-21-2006, 02:30 PM
i agree with gman

east tx skier
08-21-2006, 02:34 PM
This thread is lasting as long as the bathing suit thread and is not a so good looking, why don't they move the bunks instead of mess with boat?

My bet is that a flat grate will fix the problem and not restrict water flow. Just a hunch. I think time and moneywise, that will be a much easier solution than moving/rewelding the bunk support brackets on the four bunk setup or converting to a two bunk setup with more twist to center the boat more quickly.

Until someone decides that Ric deserves an official answer, I'll keep loading the straw with spitballs.

/petewie---plink!!!

G-man
08-21-2006, 03:21 PM
My bet is that a flat grate will fix the problem and not restrict water flow. Just a hunch. I think time and moneywise, that will be a much easier solution than moving/rewelding the bunk support brackets on the four bunk setup or converting to a two bunk setup with more twist to center the boat more quickly.

Until someone decides that Ric deserves an official answer, I'll keep loading the straw with spitballs.

/petewie---plink!!!

I agree that would be the easy fix, but I think they have design problem in the trailer that should be adressed if not on Ric's in future trailers they build. With what any trailer cost these days they should fit the boat without the problems of recent times.

east tx skier
08-21-2006, 03:39 PM
No doubt there.

But it seems like the bunks are in the right spot once the boat's on the trailer as far as support is concerned. One would assume that some sort of hydrodynamic engineer (is that even close) said this is the best place for waterflow and the pickup should go here. It just seems there's a disconnect between one set of needs and the other when it comes to the variable part where boat meets trailer. Once it's on the trailer, the pickup isn't on the bunk (at least not on the direct drive boats).

The speculation continues.

Ric, maybe you could move the jump ramp over and hit it just right so you land on your trailer, thereby eliminating everything in between boat on water and boat on trailer. :rolleyes:

Ric
08-21-2006, 06:06 PM
This thread is lasting as long as the bathing suit thread and is not a s good looking, why don't they move the bunks instead of mess with boat? I keep thinking that is what my dealer is going to hear from Mastercraft... The tongue of the trailer needs repainting anyway from all the brake fluid corrosion. Why not have someone experienced, reweld the bunks in a different fashion and repaint?

Ric
08-21-2006, 06:09 PM
No doubt there.

The speculation continues.

Ric, maybe you could move the jump ramp over and hit it just right so you land on your trailer, thereby eliminating everything in between boat on water and boat on trailer. :rolleyes: I asked my salesman, do you trailer your 197 alot? he said no, it stays in my boathouse lift.... I said, "you dawwgg" , I don't have a boathouse:o .

PendO
08-21-2006, 09:49 PM
I asked my salesman, do you trailer your 197 alot? he said no, it stays in my boathouse lift.... I said, "you dawwgg" , I don't have a boathouse:o .

Ric - now that I am getting over my slow boat, I will tell you something that I DO NOT LIKE ABOUT MY TRAILER ... there are bolts in the bunks that go through the slots on the trailer frame ... it is too bad they don't use vinly locking nuts, I mean, c'mon guys, it is an epensive trailer, how about vinly locking nuts so that on my 6th time to the launch I don't have a bunk floating up b/c the nut has disappeard ... check your nutz on your trailer :) (HB, get your mind out of the gutter)

east tx skier
08-21-2006, 10:25 PM
With carriage bolts (assuming that's what they're still using), I think it'd be better to use lock washers and double nuts (no HB, not that). If you have to remove the vinyl lock nut, you're more likely to start that carriage bolt spinning. I had to remove my bunks for an extra carpet layer after I installed them and I had at least 3 spinners.

Ric
08-21-2006, 10:45 PM
Ric - now that I am getting over my slow boat, I will tell you something that I DO NOT LIKE ABOUT MY TRAILER ... there are bolts in the bunks that go through the slots on the trailer frame ... it is too bad they don't use vinly locking nuts, I mean, c'mon guys, it is an epensive trailer, how about vinly locking nuts so that on my 6th time to the launch I don't have a bunk floating up b/c the nut has disappeard ... check your nutz on your trailer :) (HB, get your mind out of the gutter) yep, we are getting stainless hardware(lock washers, flat washers and carriage bolts), but I have some pics you don't want to see of what the 04 trailer did to the blue tt boat when one of those bunks came loose without my knowlege... Ric checks the hardware religiously these days.. dealer loaned me an 06 trailer a month or so ago and dam if there was not a missing nut on one bunk and a couple more loose ones... recipe for disaster, don't ask me how I know:o

PendO
08-21-2006, 10:49 PM
yep, we are getting stainless hardware, but I have some pics you don't want to see of what the 04 trailer did to the blue tt boat when one of those bunks came loose without my knowlege... Ric checks the hardware religiously these days.. dealer loaned me an 06 trailer a month or so ago and dam if there was not a missing nut on one bunk and a couple more loose ones... recipe for disaster, don'e ask me how I know:o

It was pure chance that I found my bunk loose ... chasing after my son as he was climing on it and I bumped into it and could tell it didn't fee solid ... I stole the nut off the Xstar trailer, so I need to remember to replace it before it goes on the trailer in a few weeks, gawd would that suck:) ... so now I have to check the torque on the lug nutz and the bunk nuts, thats a lot of nut checking each time out.

Ric
08-21-2006, 10:52 PM
it's like a major league game :(

Ric
08-21-2006, 10:54 PM
I checked my voicemail boxes, email addresses, pm box and my dialtone this evening thinking that somebody MUST have tried to get a solution to me today.......

east tx skier
08-21-2006, 11:09 PM
You were probably at work and they called your cell phone.

Ric
08-21-2006, 11:13 PM
You were probably at work and they called your cell phone. That's probably it:rolleyes:

TMCNo1
08-22-2006, 11:08 AM
I checked my voicemail boxes, email addresses, pm box and my dialtone this evening thinking that somebody MUST have tried to get a solution to me today.......

Ric, check the roof, there may be a carrier pigeon on up there with a message tied to his leg.:D

east tx skier
08-22-2006, 11:11 AM
Another day. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Ric and the rest that some light will be shed on this situation and a solution offered.

softailcowboy
08-22-2006, 11:23 AM
I think it has to do with the trailer not being deep enough in the water. when the trailer is deeper you are off the bunks and floating inside the guides then you hook up the bow and when you pull out the boat it comes down to the bunks. I have a 94 and haven't had to chg the carpet once. Just a suggestion .

east tx skier
08-22-2006, 11:25 AM
Totally different trailer bunk configuration and pickup location on that 94 though. I don't have this problem on my 93 either.

PendO
08-22-2006, 11:52 AM
I think it has to do with the trailer not being deep enough in the water. when the trailer is deeper you are off the bunks and floating inside the guides then you hook up the bow and when you pull out the boat it comes down to the bunks. I have a 94 and haven't had to chg the carpet once. Just a suggestion .

if you are that deep with a newer 197 trailer then you will not be able to hook the front with the boat buddy system ... you will just plow the nose of the boat into the boat buddy and rub the hell out of the gel coat ... the last few feet of loading the boat has to be sitting on the bunks, or at least at that level, for the nose to be high enough to load properly.

Ric
08-23-2006, 12:34 AM
You were probably at work and they called your cell phone. ok that actually happened today
I have no news, but my dealer did call and left word for me to call him for an update. no doubt this is it!........ This is the call that will end all my trailer problems...

quincyfirefighter
08-23-2006, 10:00 AM
ok that actually happened today
I have no news, but my dealer did call and left word for me to call him for an update. no doubt this is it!........ This is the call that will end all my trailer problems...
Well hope you got good news Ric. :cool: If you get a change when you talk to your dealer ask him where to get stock paint for the trailer. :D

east tx skier
08-23-2006, 10:11 AM
ok that actually happened today

Don't keep us in suspense, Ric! Flat intake grate, right?

MarkP
08-23-2006, 10:13 AM
Don't keep us in suspense, Ric! Flat intake grate, right?http://www.glocktalk.com/images/smilies/agree2.gif

Ric
08-23-2006, 12:47 PM
no word back from mastercraft yet... Dealer has me setup for my 4th trip for bunk carpet replacement tomorrow and we are both anxiously awaiting the call from mastercraft ..

Confident that when he gets the call, the solution to the spare tire location problem, the bunk carpet wear problem, the on and off loading issues all will be solved!

Note: Mastercraft has warranted three repairs to my trailer brakes. The most recent being a full replacement of calipers, disks and mastercylinder... This seems to be a fix and I hope to never worry about the brakes hopping, pulsing or locking up or overheating or squealing ever again..

Now, IF we solve the bunk and spare issues, I'll accept the lights coming loose from time to time and I'll closely, yet gladly watch the oil bath hubs and the bunk fasteners for the life of my world record boat.

ntidsl
08-23-2006, 01:09 PM
So Ric...how Much Is The Spare Hitting? I Forgot To Take Mine Off This Morning Before Launching And It Was Close To Hitting...nothing Dramatic And I Have The Mc Cover On It So It Doesnt Leave A Mark But When I Was Centered It Didnt Hit Except For A Slight Touch As The Boat Was Wenched All The Way Up...now I Wasnt In The Boat So I Could See Clear As A Bell What Was Happening; Honestly Someone Different Trailers My Boat Daily, It Depends On Who I Ski With That Morning And I Dont See Any Problems Ever...you Have Got To Have A Different Trailer Than Me...i Dont Have The Spacers And It Doesn't Hit...

Okay Let Me Know This...my Ski Partner Will Nose The Boat Up Until The Bunk Touch The Bottom, He Looks To Make Sure He's Straight Then Pulls It Up Until I Say Stop...he's Always Far Enough Up To Set The Buddy But We Dont Use It...when He/she First Stops From The Bunk Touching The Boat He's Probably 5 Feet From The Buddy Hook Up....same With Yours? Then He/she Powers It Up Slowly Making Sure The Rub Rails Dont Hit The Guides, If They(the Guide Posts) Squeak He Turns The Wheel To Center The Boat Without Even Looking, Same With You Guys?

Ric
08-23-2006, 01:14 PM
I'd say your process is roughly the same as mine

I must be honest that I've had so many problems, a routine has not been set as I've been trying different depths and methods for launch and for load.

Dealer and I both think that when I was trying to get the loading process right on the latest set of carpets, the trailer was too shallow because the toothy intake grate on the bottom of my boat hit directly on the end of the bunk and took a big bite out of the carpet.. That's the first time that is happened and I relate it directly to having so much trouble getting the boat to load correctly.

Ric
08-23-2006, 01:15 PM
spare is a half inch from the hull at rest with a spacer on the top lug of the wheel. the spare never marrs my hull, but I know it hits from time to time because my rubrail was pulled loose in that area one day when I got in the water..

ntidsl
08-23-2006, 01:16 PM
Loose Lights...i Missed That Somewhere I Cant Even Get My Lights Out They Are So Tight...thats It...they Had 2 Runs Of Trailers, Maybe Even Different Subs Working On Them...they Need To Run Your Trailer Id Number Then Compare It With Jrandols And Who Ever Else Has Problems Then Run Mine And Everyone Else Who Doesnt Have A Problem...i Bet They Determine That One Part Or Sub Made All The Difference...something Is Different...weird...new Trailer Not A New Flat Grate...you Have No Problem With Your Boat's Cooling System Do You...you Love Your Boat Not The Trailer...you Need A New Trailer...changing The Grate Would Still Leave The Lights And Spare Troubles...change Ont Hing Solve All The Problem...

Lawyers!!!

ntidsl
08-23-2006, 01:18 PM
Oh Girl...you're Ramp Must Be Steep...if Your Boat Is Sliding Back On The Trailer And Coming Straight Down On Top Of Your Spare...when My Driver Comes Off My Trailer Its Just A Slow Back Motion, The Nose Doesnt Come Down At All...once It Did Come Down And My Nose Rub Rail Came Down And Hit My Boat Buddy...never Let That Happen Again...

ntidsl
08-23-2006, 01:23 PM
Huh...when I Back My Boat In The Water I Go Far Enough In So My Truck Doesnt Get Wet...the Straps Are All Undone Already...i Back It In So That The Boat Looks Like It Does Normally When In Water....its Barely Sitting On The Trailer...when I Back My Trailer Back In To Get The Boat Its Not Close To That Deep....my Fenders Are Just Lapping At The Top Of The Water....well One And The Other Is Just In Or Out Of That Water....are Ramp Sucks...lol...

ntidsl
08-23-2006, 01:26 PM
THEY JUST MEED TO FIGURE OUT THE RUN NUMBERS AND FIGURE WHY ONE SET IS DIFFERENT THAN THE OTHERS...IT SEEMS SO EASY...BUT mc IS PROBABLY STILL IN A MEETING...THEY ARE ALWAYS IN A MEETING...I'VE NEVER BEEN TO A MEETING HONESTLY...I THINK THEY ARE WASTES OF TIME...I WILL HAVE CONSULTS BUT I WILL ANSWER MY PHONE...I EVEN ANSWER MY PHONE WHILE DRIVING THROUGH A COURSE AT 36 MPH...MAYBE I APPRECIATE MY CUSTOMERS TOO MUCH...IS THAT POSSIBLE?

Ric
08-23-2006, 04:19 PM
Oh Girl...you're Ramp Must Be Steep...if Your Boat Is Sliding Back On The Trailer And Coming Straight Down On Top Of Your Spare...when My Driver Comes Off My Trailer Its Just A Slow Back Motion, The Nose Doesnt Come Down At All...once It Did Come Down And My Nose Rub Rail Came Down And Hit My Boat Buddy...never Let That Happen Again... steep? no, it's just that I think my spare is in the wrong place

Ric
08-23-2006, 04:26 PM
I normally drop the trailer a tiny bit deeper in the water than this but look at the location of the spare

Ric
08-23-2006, 04:31 PM
THEY JUST MEED TO FIGURE OUT THE RUN NUMBERS AND FIGURE WHY ONE SET IS DIFFERENT THAN THE OTHERS...IT SEEMS SO EASY...BUT mc IS PROBABLY STILL IN A MEETING...THEY ARE ALWAYS IN A MEETING...I'VE NEVER BEEN TO A MEETING HONESTLY...I THINK THEY ARE WASTES OF TIME...I WILL HAVE CONSULTS BUT I WILL ANSWER MY PHONE...I EVEN ANSWER MY PHONE WHILE DRIVING THROUGH A COURSE AT 36 MPH...MAYBE I APPRECIATE MY CUSTOMERS TOO MUCH...IS THAT POSSIBLE? looks like mine is an A1

east tx skier
08-23-2006, 05:07 PM
Looks about like how my spare is oriented.

Ric
08-23-2006, 05:15 PM
another pic

Ric
08-23-2006, 05:17 PM
. another. aint she a beaut'!

Andrť
08-23-2006, 05:20 PM
Wow,that spare is really close to the hull...
Sorry about all your problems with the trailer.
Good thing the boat was fine from day 1...J\K Ric!
It's areally nice boat!

Ric
08-23-2006, 05:24 PM
Wow,that spare is really close to the hull...
Sorry about all your problems with the trailer.
Good thing the boat was fine from day 1...J\K Ric!
It's areally nice boat! Thanks ANDRE:mad:

Here is a pic of the levelness of the truck (levelness, is that a Bush-onics?)

east tx skier
08-23-2006, 05:25 PM
Ric, looking at your spare and mine, it looks like yours is more straight forward, while mine follows the line of the trailer. Am I seeing that correctly or is it just the picture?

ntidsl
08-23-2006, 05:25 PM
no word today huh??? I suggest they get their arse on this...this is not right...when was the first post on this??????

Ric
08-23-2006, 05:27 PM
no word today huh??? I suggest they get their arse on this...this is not right...when was the first post on this?????? lonngg after the first phone call, I can tell you that:mad:

Ric
08-23-2006, 05:28 PM
Ric, looking at your spare and mine, it looks like yours is more straight forward, while mine follows the line of the trailer. Am I seeing that correctly or is it just the picture? I will look tonite but I think it's parallel to the trailer frame(not the path of the truck) if that makes any sense

floridamastercraft
08-23-2006, 06:56 PM
ric

how high is your garage door to get your boat in and out?

Ric
08-24-2006, 10:55 AM
ric

how high is your garage door to get your boat in and out? I don't know the specific height of the door but it is standard... I would guess 7 or 8 ft??? Probably 8ft the more I think about it

Ric
08-24-2006, 10:56 AM
boat is at the bunk shop this morning... stay tuned.,.......

east tx skier
08-24-2006, 10:57 AM
You just getting bunks attahed to the bottom of the boat?

ntidsl
08-24-2006, 11:06 AM
okay just looked....my bunks are actually wider in the back than in the front...there is no way that the grate could hit my bunks...weird...mines an A1 too number 271...jrandol what number is your trailer????

Ric
08-24-2006, 11:10 AM
okay just looked....my bunks are actually wider in the back than in the front...there is no way that the grate could hit my bunks...weird...mines an A1 too number 271...jrandol what number is your trailer???? I was gonna post some more pics last nite but the site was down so I went to bed

Ric
08-24-2006, 11:11 AM
this trip is ONLY to repair the carpet for the 4th time... This is not intended to, nor will it solve the problem. This trip is to get the carpet back on to the bunks while my dealer waits for a decision from Mastercraft.

G-man
08-24-2006, 11:14 AM
Ric while they have the carpet off why don't they try cutting the bunk on the edge / It couldn't hurt.

ntidsl
08-24-2006, 11:16 AM
who at MC have you contacted??? does anyone feel like sometimes we are neglected...MC guarantedd to me that they would do everything they could to help me sell my boat...never ever heard back from them....lets see a 2005 MC 197 TT and they don't have anyone who would want to buy it...they by now at least know they need some more dealers if they can't get one dealer in the whole country to want it...okay...settle down....take a breath...its crazy though...hello...tmd administation...are you ready this??? take care of ric...have someone call ric's dealer...hellllllllllloooooooo? I know you see this!!!!!!

east tx skier
08-24-2006, 11:19 AM
With the 3,350+ views this thread has gotten, I would've expected they'd want to get this resolved with that phone call. I sure am interested in the outcome. Ric has been and remains a very patient customer in spite of everything.

ntidsl
08-24-2006, 11:26 AM
WAY TOO PATIENT IN MY EYES...

Mastercraft needs to check their back burner before something burrns!!!! things can only stay on the back burner before something really bad happens. The longer they wait, the harder it is to clean the pan.

Ric
08-24-2006, 11:26 AM
Ric while they have the carpet off why don't they try cutting the bunk on the edge / It couldn't hurt. I forgot to mention that to him, I will call and see if he'll do it. I agree it couldnt hurt

Ric
08-24-2006, 11:29 AM
who at MC have you contacted??? does anyone feel like sometimes we are neglected...MC guarantedd to me that they would do everything they could to help me sell my boat...never ever heard back from them....lets see a 2005 MC 197 TT and they don't have anyone who would want to buy it...they by now at least know they need some more dealers if they can't get one dealer in the whole country to want it...okay...settle down....take a breath...its crazy though...hello...tmd administation...are you ready this??? take care of ric...have someone call ric's dealer...hellllllllllloooooooo? I know you see this!!!!!!
I have not contacted anyone at mastercraft.
I am going through my dealer. I know it's a huge pain for him too, but I thought it was the proper channel.
I'd be screaming for a new trailer right now if I thought a new one would operate differently.. what I am hoping for is a solution or a fix from mastercraft

ntidsl
08-24-2006, 11:33 AM
you are right about the dealer channel, but when you feel like you and him are on the back burner i think you need to pay him a visit and together call MC...is he making the daily calls to remind MC that he needs a decision??? what about the corrosion from brake fluid, how about the ugly repaint job? what about the whole driving back and forth? its crap...total crap...I like conference calls...I have found that they are highly effective...most of the time, you just have to mention a conference call and someone steps up and tackles the problem before a conference call is made...why are conference calls so scary...because someone is going to be made a liar...someone is always to blame and usually a conference call uncovers the culprit

Ric
08-24-2006, 11:36 AM
you are right about the dealer channel, but when you feel like you and him are on the back burner i think you need to pay him a visit and together call MC...is he making the daily calls to remind MC that he needs a decision??? what about the corrosion from brake fluid, how about the ugly repaint job? what about the whole driving back and forth? its crap...total crap...I like conference calls...I have found that they are highly effective...most of the time, you just have to mention a conference call and someone steps up and tackles the problem before a conference call is made...why are conference calls so scary...because someone is going to be made a liar...someone is always to blame and usually a conference call uncovers the culprit it's usually the quiet guy in the room during the conference call who is the culprit

Stritt
08-24-2006, 06:10 PM
Sorry to hear about your trailer issues. My 03 197 was on a tandem and the spare tire placement was never an issue. However, for most all of your other issues....been there. Although my carpet was not torn, it did show signs of friction burn towards the front where the bunks come to a tight v. Good luck. If you have not contacted MC directly, I would recommend you do. I did, they took care of me with many issues. For the record on the initial slew of warranty issues they went above and beyond expectations. However in the end, the boat had more issues and we parted ways with MasterCraft stepping in a taking care of the product and the customer. Again, contact MC customer service.

MarkP
08-24-2006, 07:02 PM
Sorry to hear about your trailer issues. My 03 197 was on a tandem and the spare tire placement was never an issue. However, for most all of your other issues....been there. Although my carpet was not torn, it did show signs of friction burn towards the front where the bunks come to a tight v. Good luck. If you have not contacted MC directly, I would recommend you do. I did, they took care of me with many issues. For the record on the initial slew of warranty issues they went above and beyond expectations. However in the end, the boat had more issues and we parted ways with MasterCraft stepping in a taking care of the product and the customer. Again, contact MC customer service.
I still miss your boat. That didnít have the LQ9 right??

Ric
08-24-2006, 10:58 PM
Ok, I swear I could not make this stuff up if I tried!

Are you ready for this?????????

Just picked up my boat today from the trailer shop.....

4th carpet repair job in 14 months since the boat was unwrapped at the dealer.....

instead of carpet, I got dis!