PDA

View Full Version : 197 Trailer Bunk Problems

Pages : 1 2 [3]

thijs
01-14-2008, 07:10 PM
Similar anal procedure here, as I push Lynn off the trailer after the engine is running healthy, all the gauges are showing normal and the engine won't stall when you put it into reverse, then she gets it up to operating temp while I'm parking the trailer.

Our ramps are a little to busy for this here. We back in deep enough that reverse backs it off without recing her up. I let her idle in gear to where I am far enough from the dock/ramp (yahoos) and let her idle to warm up. Then once whoever is running the truck is parked I pick everyone up at the dock.

I cannot recall our boat ever stalling or not starting so waring on the trailer has never been considered as far as that goes.

Sodar
01-14-2008, 07:13 PM
Similar anal procedure here, as I push Lynn off the trailer after the engine is running healthy, all the gauges are showing normal and the engine won't stall when you put it into reverse, then she gets it up to operating temp while I'm parking the trailer.

It used to take a long while to get my '96 up to operating temp. I do not know if the closed cooling had an effect or not, but my new boat seems to get up to it in only a couple of minutes. And before you guys complain, I am launching on a private ramp... I am not the a-hole that sits on the public ramp for 15 minutes on a Labor Day/4th of July/Memorial Day weekend with the waiting line ramping from SoCal to New York! :D

east tx skier
01-14-2008, 08:12 PM
As far as warming up, I wasn't aware that that needed to occur in neutral. Like Harold, with the 205, we'd get it off the trailer when it wouldn't stall, which was usually almost immediately in the warmer months, i.e., April to October around here. With fuel injection, you should be good to go at idle speeds, or so I thought. Let it warm up idling around, then when it's good to go, let 'r rip. Isn't there a rev limiter that keeps you from doing anything above a certain point until it warms up?

Sodar
01-14-2008, 08:51 PM
As far as warming up, I wasn't aware that that needed to occur in neutral. Like Harold, with the 205, we'd get it off the trailer when it wouldn't stall, which was usually almost immediately in the warmer months, i.e., April to October around here. With fuel injection, you should be good to go at idle speeds, or so I thought. Let it warm up idling around, then when it's good to go, let 'r rip. Isn't there a rev limiter that keeps you from doing anything above a certain point until it warms up?

It is more just a ritualistic procedure I go through to put the boat in the water. I usually do it myself first thing morning, while everyone else is asleep. I normally pull it out of the garage, put the tower up, check the oil & tranny fluid, give the seats a coat of 303, turn the blower on, then back her down to the ramp. At the ramp, I dump her in, fire her up, open the engine hatch and look for any leaks, listen for any strange noises, put the bimini up and then back her off the trailer.

I am certain that I am over-doing the whole procedure, but I love doing it.

To answer your question, the boat does have a rev limiter.

103 degrees keeps the boat below 3,000rpm
104 to 149 degrees keeps the boat below 4,200 rpm
150 degrees allows full rpm

east tx skier
01-14-2008, 08:54 PM
Sounds like the ideal way to do it to me. I need to get to the lake.

TMCNo1
02-04-2008, 12:53 PM
Gotcha! Maybe I need to start using KY or Astroglide on my bunks, instead of Liquid Rollers... I have my bunks so lubed up that the boat can damn near slide off the trailer on level ground, but I am still getting carpet wear. :confused:

Try some bacon grease!

Sodar
02-04-2008, 01:38 PM
Try some bacon grease!
I heard that causes blisters and pink seats!

TMCNo1
02-04-2008, 02:05 PM
I heard that causes blisters and pink seats!

From what I've seen, just a lot of dogs chasing the boat down the road!:rolleyes: