PDA

View Full Version : Hydrofoiling and swim platforms...

bigmac
07-26-2006, 10:09 AM
As it turns out, I end up teaching a lot of people to hydrofoil (in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king...). The most convenient way is to strap them into the thing while it's sitting on the swim platform, then push them backwards off into the water, but the balance point is problematic since the foil only comes up to the edge, and BTW also chips the lower edge of the plaform. I have often thought that a slot cut in from the sides would avoid that, which would be nice for teaching, and especially for getting rigged up out of the water when the water temp is 45 degrees.

While looking at Airjunky's Traxx site, I noticed this swim platform, which looks like it has a slot cut out on the edges that would work great for a hydrofoil strut. Anybody ever see this? Anybody ever to this to their own swim platform?

http://mccollister.info/dhtraxx.jpg

gr8smiles
07-26-2006, 11:19 AM
You are very correct on the balance point. My son puts his on in the water, but the rest of us still use the platform. Just last weekend, I was perched precariously on the 'edge' and strapping up. After I got my foot straps on, our buddy 'Wally' came by in his Chaparral deckboat and the next thing I know I am choking down lake water....but the nose tape saved thge sinuses....:D

bigmac
07-26-2006, 11:37 AM
You are very correct on the balance point. My son puts his on in the water, but the rest of us still use the platform. Just last weekend, I was perched precariously on the 'edge' and strapping up. After I got my foot straps on, our buddy 'Wally' came by in his Chaparral deckboat and the next thing I know I am choking down lake water....but the nose tape saved thge sinuses....:D

I put mine on in the water too, but I really like the concept of eliminating the precariousness on the swim platform. It seems like it would be a simple fix, but I don't know how much $$. Next time my boat is out of the water for any period, I'm going to have a fiberglass guy give me an idea what it would take to make such a modification to my fiberglass platform.

When I was kid learning to swim, the instructor was REALLY big on blowing bubbles through the nose every time we hit the water. I fortunately now have some kind of ingrained reflex toward that end and have never been afflicted by those sinus flushes, despite many years of high and low speed water entries on all manner of weird water activities.

gr8smiles
07-26-2006, 12:12 PM
I have the teak platform on the X-Star....it may be worth looking into to make a cut....if the strength is not compromised

I've never had the sinus flush issue until the foil....getting better now that I am getting better, but the 3M tape saves the day...and brings me unmitigated sh*t from the teens in the boat...but hey, it's my boat right?

jrhollow
07-26-2006, 12:43 PM
What 3M tape do you use? Is it made for this?

bigmac
07-26-2006, 12:54 PM
I've never had the sinus flush issue until the foil....getting better now that I am getting better, but the 3M tape saves the day...and brings me unmitigated sh*t from the teens in the boat...but hey, it's my boat right?

I have the solution that is likely to bring you less sh*t than surgical tape over your nose...

http://flickr.com/photos/289581_f1285ac9bf_m.jpg

gr8smiles
07-26-2006, 01:10 PM
Go to Walgreens, RiteAid, etc. The surgical tape is in the pharmacy section. It is the kind of tape that they use on IVs, etc. 3M makes it. they make several kinds, but the basic works great. I take a small piece about 2 inches (depends on your nose) and tape it under my nose to cover my nostrils. Takes some getting used too, but now when the foil dumps me on my head I don't get lake flush for a couple of seconds before I float myself back up.

WakeSeeky
07-26-2006, 01:15 PM
I haven't seen this personally, but I've been told that yes, this cut-out is not uncommon for foilers. There is even another brand, Calabria IIRC, that comes standard with the cut out.

We've got the teak, which gets dinged a bit by the foil, but it's so easy to rub a bit of oil over the edges and the scratches pretty much disappear. We'll sand out a couple of bigger dings this winter, so I'm not too worried about them. We could pretty easily modify our platform, but so far have decided we don't really want to, we like the look of the teak as-is. However, the fiberglass... I think we'd already have done it, I can see where the foil would scratch that up pretty badly.

Foiler
07-26-2006, 11:23 PM
It seems like an awkward balancing act at first but you get better at it with time.

Another option would be to use you brackets and make another deck out of treated lumber then cover it with the traxx pad. That way if you ever upgrade boats all you have to do is change out the platforms.

bigmac
07-26-2006, 11:28 PM
It seems like an awkward balancing act at first but you get better at it with time.

That's pretty much hydrofoiling in a nutshell...;)

Tom023
07-26-2006, 11:35 PM
I used the in-water method for me and use the platform method for my wife. After seeing how easy it is for her I gave it a shot this weekend and have switched to the platform. I get a few scrapes on the teak but nothing the end of year oiling won't take care of.

BTW Bigmac, no posting competitive boat pics or eastie may ban you ;)

bigmac
07-26-2006, 11:44 PM
I used the in-water method for me and use the platform method for my wife. After seeing how easy it is for her I gave it a shot this weekend and have switched to the platform. I get a few scrapes on the teak but nothing the end of year oiling won't take care of.

BTW Bigmac, no posting competitive boat pics or eastie may ban you ;)

That's it...I'm cuttin' a slot...

Doug never looks at threads that have the word "hydrofoil" in them, so I think I'm gonna be safe..

SkiDog
07-27-2006, 03:09 PM
What can be dodne to prevent the bottom edge of the platform from getting all chipped from the foils, short of not using the platform putting on the foil.:confused:

bigmac
07-27-2006, 03:16 PM
What can be dodne to prevent the bottom edge of the platform from getting all chipped from the foils, short of not using the platform putting on the foil.:confused:

I have a buddy that uses black fuel line tubing. He rubs it down with acetone to get the writing off, slits it, and fits it over the lower edge, securing it with silicone glue. IIRC, he secured the two cut ends with little sheet metal screws. He was also investigating different types of edging, including chrome, with a local body shop guy as an alternative - also a good solution IMHO.

It would be cheap enough to buy the black tubing and slip it on the platform, just to see how it looks.

I have used Snider's Paintguard (http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/Sniders-Paintguard-p-16210.html) sheets on my motorcycles for years and they work well for protecing from chips. I haven't tried the stuff on my swim platform, but I do have a strip over the gunwhale where people invariably step when they get into my boat.

dog paw
07-27-2006, 03:42 PM
....but the nose tape saved thge sinuses....:D

HA! so I'm not the only one LOL! I used to get ragged on all the time for useing those nose pincer thingys swimmers use. You guys with good snoots try to imagine a 50 cal mini ball finding its way out of your nose from behind your eyeball :eek:

BG1772
07-28-2006, 10:23 AM
My old man use to do the "medical tape nose plug" until he had to quit skiing due to a stroke. For the longest time he used the white tape and we gave him a good ribbing. Then he found that they sell the stuff in clear too.

As for strapping into the sky ski, I do it on the platform. The ballance is a bit strange at first, but over time you learn to be able to deal with rouge waves coming your way. With novice riders, I sit on the back of the boat and put my foot on the nose of the board. It does not require much pressure at all and makes up for the weight of the foil hanging off the edge of the swim deck. I have the teak deck on my boat and don't get much damage from the foil.

AirJunky
08-29-2006, 08:39 PM
We get in the ski sitting on an un-notched Traxxed (http://airjunky.com/traxxed) fiberglass platform all the time. I rarely have problems with it, but see beginners have a bit of trouble once in a while. It's easily remedied by someone sitting on the transom with their feet on the tip of the ski, holding it in place, till the skier is ready to drop in.
I installed a thin strip of black rubber along the side edges of the swim platform & it's never chipped or scratched either the swimstep or any of the foils.
http://airjunky.com/temp/205fromabove1.jpg