PDA

View Full Version : DVD decoder

mitch
07-25-2006, 06:02 PM
Apparently I deleted my 'compatiable DVD decoder,' using 'remove programs' It must have been listed as something out of the ordinary. I vaugely remember something w/ DVD in it, but I only use media player and figured I did not need it, well now I get a msg missing DVD decoder when trying to play a DVD. Poked around and it seems I need a MPEG-2 decoder. I can find them for 14 bucks. Any other options? Thanks for any help!

If you are running Windows Vista Home Basic, Windows Vista Business, or Windows XP, you must install a compatible MPEG-2 decoder (also known as a DVD decoder) before continuing with the following activities.
Playing a DVD
Playing a recorded TV show
Playing video files that were encoded with the MPEG-2 codec (.mpeg, .mpg, and some .avi files)

milkmania
07-25-2006, 09:57 PM
was the program you are speaking of Cyberlink PowerDVD?

mitch
07-26-2006, 10:40 AM
Milk, thanks for the reply, no it's these 4 plug-in's that MS recommends. Wish there was a way to undo programs you've removed:o

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/plugins.aspx

ski_king
07-26-2006, 11:05 AM
I had the same problem. I couldn't find out how to fix it either short of buying the decoder files and gave up watching DVD's on my computer.

Then somehow, my daughter fixed it.
The best I can figure is one of the DVD's she rented included a DVD viewer and when it was installed it included the files.

Funny I couldn't fix it and my kid did without even trying........

bcampbe7
07-26-2006, 12:32 PM
Mitch-
Do you have a recovery disk that came with your PC? You may be able to recovery the specific application.

mitch
07-26-2006, 12:49 PM
Mitch-
Do you have a recovery disk that came with your PC? You may be able to recovery the specific application.

I'll look, thanks!

jimmer2880
07-26-2006, 08:31 PM
Someone I know :cool: usues AnyDVD by Slysoft