PDA

View Full Version : Raw Water Pump Seal

pram
07-25-2006, 02:46 PM
Hi I have been reading through the forums about changing the rear seal on my raw water pump for the last couple of days. Last night I took it out as it was leaking pretty bad. I phoned the local MC dealer here and he told me at first that the seal wasn't replaceable and that I needed to buy a new pump. Huh? I told him that I have the seal in my hand. He then told me that there is no way for him to determine what the seal number is and that short of him emailing MC there was nothing else he could do and to try to source it locally myself. I know that skidim sells them (read about lots of you guys getting them from there) but for me to get one out of them it will take a good week or so and I don't have that much time (holidays are coming up right away). Is there anyone that has a part number for the seal so that I can see if I can source it locally? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tom023
07-25-2006, 03:51 PM
Best bet would be to find a rebuild kit that contains the seal, impeller, gasket and screws. West Marine carries them http://ecatalog.westmarine.com/0240.asp?LinkBackProdId=105459

bigmac
07-25-2006, 04:47 PM
Seems to me that any marine dealer should be able to GET the seal, pump, or rebuild kit, but they may not stock it. You already tried the MasterCraft dealer and got the runaround (at least, incorrect information). If you're looking to try to buy the stuff over a parts counter locally, to save time, try calling around to boat dealers that use Indmar engines (such as Malibu), since they almost all use Johnson pumps. Also, Volvo uses that same pump as well. My guess, you won't find the seal separately, you might find the service kit locally, but I'll bet you end up ordering it.

Engine Nut
07-25-2006, 04:57 PM
Here are a set of instructions for rebuilding the pump. The Indmar P/N for that seal is S685004. Your MasterCraft dealer should be able to get it for you.

Engine Nut

Hi I have been reading through the forums about changing the rear seal on my raw water pump for the last couple of days. Last night I took it out as it was leaking pretty bad. I phoned the local MC dealer here and he told me at first that the seal wasn't replaceable and that I needed to buy a new pump. Huh? I told him that I have the seal in my hand. He then told me that there is no way for him to determine what the seal number is and that short of him emailing MC there was nothing else he could do and to try to source it locally myself. I know that skidim sells them (read about lots of you guys getting them from there) but for me to get one out of them it will take a good week or so and I don't have that much time (holidays are coming up right away). Is there anyone that has a part number for the seal so that I can see if I can source it locally? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

pram
07-25-2006, 05:13 PM
So it looks like this seal is a standard Metric oil seal part #16287DL. I have one of my guys running down to a local machine shop now to pick one up to compare to the one that I took out. $6.00 for the seal, good deal as long as it is the right one. The parts guy crossed the number on the original seal and all should be well. Thanks for the input and help on the subject. I downloaded the above bulletin and faxed to the local MC shop then called the parts guy. He was very happy to have seen it and was on his way to the Service Manager to ask how come he was never given this information. When asked where I got it I told him about this most excellent website for Mastercraft Owners and told him that he should check it out sometime as it is a wealth of knowledge :D .................

pram
07-26-2006, 01:25 AM
The seal that I got from the local machine shop worked. The part number is the actual size of the seal. 16mm I.D. 28mm O.D. 7mm High (16287) the DL stands for double lip. Thanks again for the help.

bigmac
07-26-2006, 09:14 AM
The seal that I got from the local machine shop worked. The part number is the actual size of the seal. 16mm I.D. 28mm O.D. 7mm High (16287) the DL stands for double lip. Thanks again for the help.
Very cool. I wouldn't have thought to check a machine shop.http://forums.aswp.net/theme_aswp/smilies/up.gif

Tom023
07-26-2006, 09:19 AM
Pram, just curious, did the seal you get have the little spring on the inside the keep it tight against the shaft?

pram
07-26-2006, 03:19 PM
Yes the seal did have the spring on the inside of the double lip. I put it in last night along with a new impellor and gasket, fired it up and voila no more leak. Worked like a charm:D The seal ended up costing me $8.44 taxes in. Hope this will help someone else down the road when they can't get the seal from the dealer when they need it.

Jmatt15
09-19-2006, 01:35 PM
We ran into the same problem. Went to our local dealership last week and they told us we couldn't just replace the seal. They said we had to replace the pump ($240). After reading this thread we went to skidim.com and ordered a new seal for $18. It worked great and was easy to install.

Doug G
05-04-2007, 03:10 PM
I replaced the seal on mine since it was leaking. Nice and easy to do. No more leak.

I think I am seeing the oring on the shaft when I look at the pump from above at the point referenced in this picture. It ran great and no leaks. Did I screw up or have anything to worry about? I didn't notice this before but wasn't really paying attention either.