PDA

View Full Version : Cutting fiberglass,etc for stereo install

JohnnyB
07-25-2006, 02:21 PM
OK, based on searches on the site, I gathered some info and still have some questions and am looking for advice from the experienced.....

1) Cutting holes in fiberglass for speakers. Use 5" (or other proper diameter) bi-metal hole saw, run in reverse 1st to cut through gel-coat and then forward the rest of the way through. Put masking tape over the fiberglass surface to minimize chipping.

Q: should i lightly polish/round the edges after I cut?

2) Cutting hole in fiberglass for head unit. Planning to masking tape over the area. Drill hole with bit running in reverse through gel-coat and then forward the rest of the way. Use jig-saw w/ fine metal blade (high tooth count for smooth metal cuts) to cut the hole.

Q: Anyone use a roto-zip or have another way that is better?

3) Cutting hole in armrest by throttle (hard black vinyl material). Thinking I can use a razor blade and carefully cut....will have to see what the backing is when I take it off and do further review at that time.

JohnnyB
07-25-2006, 11:05 PM
Bump............ :D

beef
07-25-2006, 11:22 PM
I think sanding the edges of the speaker holes may help prevent cracking, if the speakers are a tight fit. Also, for the head unit, I might use a fine bladed hacksaw. The problem with a jigsaw is that it normally cuts on the upstroke. This might lead to some pretty bad chipping in the gel.

noose374
07-26-2006, 01:15 AM
When I installed the fins on my surfboard I used a router and template to cut the 3 oval holes that were needed. A router will make a very clean cut with no need to sand. Also, some speakers come with the cut-out template that is needed, if not, router jigs are easy to make.

Here is a link to the Speedfins instalation page:
http://www.speeedfins.com/install/

rektek
07-26-2006, 01:45 AM
large hole saw is your best bet, you'll need a drill with some kahunas to keep it turning at a slow pace [1/2" corded]. be sure to put a backing board behind where you're cutting if at all possible.

I like the router idea but it might be more trouble than it's worth.

cheers
Jeff

JohnnyB
07-26-2006, 02:44 PM
large hole saw is your best bet, you'll need a drill with some kahunas to keep it turning at a slow pace [1/2" corded]. be sure to put a backing board behind where you're cutting if at all possible.

I like the router idea but it might be more trouble than it's worth.

cheers
Jeff

I'm guessing you mean cojones :D

Good point on using a slower speed - I've got a 1/2" drill motor with a set of those....