PDA

View Full Version : hot water shower is too hot

cwright
07-25-2006, 12:46 PM
(1988PS190) As furnished by MC, my shower comes straight from engine block to hose end sprayer. First 15 seconds of spray is cold, migrates to warm and then burns your skin off. I can't find a metering valve anywhere in the system to allow cold water balancing. Did MC really design this approach? I guess it's a cost saver because you don't need a cold water pump?

Have any of you modified this standard system with a more modern hot/cold balnce system. I should fix this before someone gets burned.

G-man
07-25-2006, 01:14 PM
Are you sure there isn't a cold water line coming off the raw water intake hose somewhere before the water enters the engine? There should be one. Back then the metering done for water temp was a Y valve you get at home depot to run two garden hoses off one outdoor faucet. One side would control hot water and the other would control cold. Mix as you please. Go to the electric pump and follow the supply line, maybe you'll find a cold water line.

cwright
07-30-2006, 08:42 PM
well I've climbed all ove my engine box and can't find any other line to the shower. One line off of the block goes all the way to the shower nozzle. Does anyone know if there is a factory fitting that will splice into the main cooling water intake line, enabling the introduction of cold water?

Workin' 4 Toys
07-30-2006, 10:45 PM
My buddies chapparel does this too, but it "cools" off after the first 15 seconds. But that first 15 secs....:eek:
160 degree water is pretty hot if it's straight through the block:(

G-man
07-31-2006, 10:01 AM
Home depot you can get a T fitting and put it on your raw water intake hose in between the trans cool and the engine. get a T fitting that is sized to a homemade gerden hose to the Y valve I mentioned earlier, run your hot water line to the Y, then run from the Y to the pump. The Y will have valves on both end to control the flow of hot and cold to the pump giving you the temp control you need.

wesgardner
07-31-2006, 11:05 AM
Ouch, yeah, mine when cranked all the way to hot is HHHOTTT, can't imagine an install without a mixing valve...you can go the Aquatik route which'll require an on-demand pump and tapping the raw water side....without it that sounds dangerous....

cwright
07-31-2006, 12:36 PM
I like the idea of adding it on the line going into trans. Then run it to a Y and mission accomplished. If I pull water out of the "system" to facilitate this, will it cause any secondary consequences like overheating due to less cold water available downstream?